HCFR - Open source projector and display calibration software - Page 211 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 419Likes
post #6301 of 6330 Old 07-21-2015, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 952 Post(s)
Liked: 808
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastButNotLeast View Post

The gamma target is "lower" (anyone have an explanation for that?); top dotted line is, again, the original calibration:
The gamma target using BT.1886 will be lower because the black reading is higher using an APL pattern vs. a black background. So two things are changing at once here, the display gamma itself and the target. Also, the black level measured using a 25% background is worst case, if you measure the side bars on 4:3 material for example, the average black level will be about 1/2 the peak. So one option would be to just set a fixed black level equal to whatever you measure this way (on my set I use 0.018 cd/m^2).

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickardl View Post
So what is the bottom line? Go with 8% Windows / 25 % APL? or it doesn't really matter?
By the way, what skin-colors are you using?
You can get a calibration that matches your target just as well either way, the point is that if they measure differently relative to each other - the APL pattern is closer to what actual content will produce.
rickardl likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6302 of 6330 Old 07-21-2015, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 568 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by superkyle View Post
I am experiencing a very odd issue with the new software. When I hook my computer up to the TV it now is only displaying the test patters in the to left corner of the TV? I'm sure this isn't normal but wondering if anyone else has had this issue. I also went to install the agyll driver for the eye one pro and for whatever reason it failed to install so I couldn't get it to work. I would also appreciate any advice on this also. Thanks in advance guys.
Same here... started when I upgraded to Windows 10 TP

Gear: Pioneer VSX-1124-K, NHT Classic Three (L/R), Classic Two (rear) TwoC (center).
PSA V1500 (x2)
HTPC/server (Emby), Fire TV Stick, Chromecast
OTA Winegard HD7698P
Sharp LC-60SQ15U (HCFR calibrated)
post #6303 of 6330 Old 07-21-2015, 04:40 PM

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhughy2010 View Post
Same here... started when I upgraded to Windows 10 TP
I have experienced the same issue, both with Windows 10 TP, and with Windows 8.1. Essentially the test pattern uses the same resolution as the laptop screen (e.g., 1366x768) and only fills the upper left corner of the projector screen (1920x1080). The issue does not seem to occur when the program itself is also displayed on the projector screen, but of course that is not practical for interactive adjustments, e.g., when fine-tuning the colour temperature.

The workaround I've used is to open the test colour window (View | Test Colors), drag it to the projector screen, and maximize its size. Then then test patterns will fill the screen.
post #6304 of 6330 Old 07-21-2015, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 568 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Chan View Post
I have experienced the same issue, both with Windows 10 TP, and with Windows 8.1. Essentially the test pattern uses the same resolution as the laptop screen (e.g., 1366x768) and only fills the upper left corner of the projector screen (1920x1080). The issue does not seem to occur when the program itself is also displayed on the projector screen, but of course that is not practical for interactive adjustments, e.g., when fine-tuning the colour temperature.

The workaround I've used is to open the test colour window (View | Test Colors), drag it to the projector screen, and maximize its size. Then then test patterns will fill the screen.
My laptop is 1080 as well as my TV. I think I tried what you said and it didn't seem to work. This might be a different problem.

Gear: Pioneer VSX-1124-K, NHT Classic Three (L/R), Classic Two (rear) TwoC (center).
PSA V1500 (x2)
HTPC/server (Emby), Fire TV Stick, Chromecast
OTA Winegard HD7698P
Sharp LC-60SQ15U (HCFR calibrated)
post #6305 of 6330 Old 07-21-2015, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 732 Post(s)
Liked: 527
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickardl View Post
By the way, what skin-colors are you using?
The Pantone skin tones built in to the program (preferences -> references -> color checker patterns).
rickardl likes this.

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
Downloadable FREE demo discs: Demonstration Blu-Ray Discs (Independently Authored)
Welcome to AVS - Get out while you still can!
post #6306 of 6330 Old 07-22-2015, 06:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 538 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Ok so at least I know I'm not crazy and doing something wrong. I'm sure @zoyd will figure out what's going on here.

Always destroying exergy!
post #6307 of 6330 Old 07-22-2015, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Ok so at least I know I'm not crazy and doing something wrong. I'm sure @zoyd will figure out what's going on here.
There is not much I can do because I can't reproduce this problem on my win7 computer. Was there either a previous version of HCFR or windows10 that did not show this behavior or is this something new that has popped up with a particular windows version?
post #6308 of 6330 Old 07-22-2015, 02:30 PM
Advanced Member

I am currently running Windows 8.1 and have been for some time. I haven't tried to calibrate my set in some time. Possibly 6-8 months. The version of HCFR I was using back then worked perfectly on the same computer and same TV. Since my last calibration I had to do a clean install of windows 8.1 and about 2 days ago reinstalled HCFR to the latest version. I'm not sure what could have changed between the version 6-8 months ago and now but I would imagine that is where the problem lies. If I can figure out where to download old versions I can download them all and test them and let you know where the issue first began. I wish I would have paid better attention to the versions I was using but everything was running smooth so there wasn't a need to monitor version haha. Anything I can do to help out let me know and when I have time I'll be happy to check it out and get back with you.

post #6309 of 6330 Old 07-22-2015, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

That would help, thanks. You can download all previous versions here. 6 months ago would have been circa version 3.1.6 or 7
superkyle likes this.
post #6310 of 6330 Old 07-22-2015, 02:41 PM
zel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

I had a similar problem and I think enabling "Let me choose one scaling level for all my displays" in the Windows display settings fixed it.

Make sure to check with a resolution pattern. In addition to the window size problems I was getting my video scaled down to the laptop screen resolution and then back up to 1920x1080.
zoyd likes this.
post #6311 of 6330 Old 07-22-2015, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Until sourceforge uploads return, here is the full install package for 3.3.5

Changes in 3.3.5
  • Fixed preferences reset greyed out on some pages.
  • Switch Chromecast special patterns to direct mode instead of webserver.
  • Colorimetry preferences now saved with data file. (optional on restore)
  • Tweaked autoscaling parameters.
  • Removed DTP-20 (this is a non-emissive device)
  • Added work-around for botched third-party calibration of JETI Specbos.
anta1974 and ConnecTEDDD like this.

Last edited by zoyd; 07-22-2015 at 03:32 PM.
post #6312 of 6330 Old 07-23-2015, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoyd View Post
Changes in 3.3.5
  • Colorimetry preferences now saved with data file. (optional on restore)
It doesn't seem to be working quite right. Here's what I did:

1. Set Reference White to D75
2. Generate a simulated grey scale plot and save the file (e.g., as Sample_D75).
3. While viewing the RGB Levels graph, reset Preferences to Default. The blue curve gets elevated (relative to D65).
4. Close the file. A Save File prompt props up (not supposed to); say No.
5. Open the file. An "Overwrite Preferences" prompt pops up; say Yes.
6. View the RGB Levels graph. The blue curve is still elevated (should NOT be).
7. Preferences shows D75; change to D65 and Apply (curve does not change); change to D75 and Apply, blue curve now goes down.
post #6313 of 6330 Old 07-24-2015, 03:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

That sequence mostly works as expected.

1. Set Reference White to D75
Quote:
2. Generate a simulated grey scale plot and save the file (e.g., as Sample_D75).
File is saved with D75 preference.
Quote:
3. While viewing the RGB Levels graph, reset Preferences to Default. The blue curve gets elevated (relative to D65).
Preferences are now D65.
Quote:
4. Close the file. A Save File prompt props up (not supposed to); say No.
Preferences were changed to D65 from D75 when reset to default so a save is requested.
Quote:
5. Open the file. An "Overwrite Preferences" prompt pops up; say Yes.
Because you didn't save it, the save file has a D75 preference and the program is at default D65 so it asks to overwrite. By clicking yes you've set the current preferences to D75
Quote:
6. View the RGB Levels graph. The blue curve is still elevated (should NOT be).
This is a bug.(preferences say D75 correctly but internally white point was not changed from D65 to D75 on restore)
post #6314 of 6330 Old 07-24-2015, 03:58 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, I would like to ask how to calibrate primary and secondary colours on my tv with HCFR. I read the guide GREYSCALE & COLOUR CALIBRATION FOR DUMMIES. My TV is Samsung HU7500 which has RGB colour system for settings colours (primary and secondary colours with RGB settings on every colour) I am using blueray disk on AVSForum with APL patterns for HCFR, when I measure in HCFR I check REC.709 and Gamma Power 2.2.
post #6315 of 6330 Old 07-24-2015, 05:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcn View Post
AMartin and Larry in RI posted workflows they use to calibrate their Samsung plasmas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by traykov77 View Post
Hi, I would like to ask how to calibrate primary and secondary colours on my tv with HCFR.
Post 6167 has two docs that could be useful.
post #6316 of 6330 Old 07-24-2015, 06:17 PM

Quote:
I've updated the current version 3.3.4 with the following changes:
  • Normalize RGB luminance plots to target instead of measured 100% values.
Not sure if it's related to normalization, but I noticed an unexpected behaviour in the near black and near white luminance graphs.

If I set all the simulation errors to 0 and make the (simulated) measurements, the grid shows Delta E = 0 for all points, as expected. However, the graphs show that all red/green/blue values to be the same for each point, but different from the reference values.
post #6317 of 6330 Old 07-24-2015, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhughy2010 View Post
My laptop is 1080 as well as my TV. I think I tried what you said and it didn't seem to work. This might be a different problem.
On my laptop (Dell Latutide E6420 running Windows 10 Build 10240) the behaviour is quite repeatable. If I open the Test Colors window and drag it to the projector screen, all the test patterns will display full screen. If a close the Test Colors window, or bring it back to the laptop screen, the test patterns will only fill part of the projector screen.

(Correction to my previous post - there's no need to maximize the Test Colors windows).
post #6318 of 6330 Old 07-25-2015, 03:48 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
How to put correction matrix in HCFR , I have Xrite I1 display pro (EODIS3) do I have to install any drivers for that?
post #6319 of 6330 Old 07-25-2015, 03:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by traykov77 View Post
How to put correction matrix in HCFR , I have Xrite I1 display pro (EODIS3) do I have to install any drivers for that?
no drivers needed. There is a procedure to run to create a matrix if you have a spectrometer. If you don't have a spectrometer then you choose the closest display type on the meter set-up page to your display, and that will load the correction automatically.
post #6320 of 6330 Old Today, 08:57 AM
Advanced Member

@zoyd I installed the latest version of HCFR and played around trying to eliminate the issue of the measurement box only appearing in the upper left hand corner. I can confirm this is a resolution issue. Once I switched the resolution on the tv from 4k to 1080p it will display properly once again. This is fine since resolution doesn't matter for calibration purposes so if anyone else experiences the same issue a simple fix is to downgrade resolution.

I do have one issue however. For the life of me I can not get HCFR to see my eye one pro. I downloaded the driverfixer from xrite in order to get the eye one to have a driver at all. Once I did that I went in and tried to update the driver and point it to the argyll driver supplied in HCFR. It says the best driver is already installed and will not show up in HCFR at all. I have tried everything I've done in the past to get it to work and I'm wondering what I am missing here. Your help would be greatly appreciated.

post #6321 of 6330 Old Today, 11:02 AM

Quote:
I do have one issue however. For the life of me I can not get HCFR to see my eye one pro. I downloaded the driverfixer from xrite in order to get the eye one to have a driver at all. Once I did that I went in and tried to update the driver and point it to the argyll driver supplied in HCFR. It says the best driver is already installed and will not show up in HCFR at all. I have tried everything I've done in the past to get it to work and I'm wondering what I am missing here. Your help would be greatly appreciated.
The X-Rite and Argyll drives can both be installed at the same time, but only one can be "used" by Windows.

Go to Device Manager and trying updating the driver, but instead of "Search automatically...", select the second option "Browse my computer for...". Then select "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer" and select the Argyll one.l
post #6322 of 6330 Old Today, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the update, I don't know why the video card and/or display doesn't upscale the image to 4k but glad you found a work around. There are some driver installation notes for windows 8 here, maybe those will help.
post #6323 of 6330 Unread Today, 11:22 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks for the advice @Dominic Chan unfortunately I realize how to tell windows which driver I am installing. The issue is when I point it to the argyll driver it will not install but only says that the best driver is installed (much like if I did automatic search) it's odd I realize that but most problems I can figure out. This one has me stumped.

post #6324 of 6330 Unread Today, 12:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
The X-Rite and Argyll drives can both be installed at the same time, but only one can be "used" by Windows.

Go to Device Manager and trying updating the driver, but instead of "Search automatically...", select the second option "Browse my computer for...". Then select "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer" and select the Argyll one.l

I use an i1 display pro with the 2006 Windows driver in Win7 and HCFR has always correctly identified the probe. Is there a good reason to use another driver?
post #6325 of 6330 Unread Today, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the advice @Dominic Chan unfortunately I realize how to tell windows which driver I am installing. The issue is when I point it to the argyll driver it will not install but only says that the best driver is installed (much like if I did automatic search) it's odd I realize that but most problems I can figure out. This one has me stumped.
You are talking about the screens where you install new drivers, either automatically, or at the location you specify. That is not the same as the screen as I described which is on how to select the driver to be used. In the latter case, Windows will not decide for you which one is the "best driver". As a matter of fact, you can have multiple drivers installed, and only select the one you want to use.

Last edited by Dominic Chan; Today at 06:43 PM.
post #6326 of 6330 Unread Today, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcn View Post
I use an i1 display pro with the 2006 Windows driver in Win7 and HCFR has always correctly identified the probe. Is there a good reason to use another driver?
He is referring to the i1 pro (spectrometer) which requires a driver install.
bmcn likes this.
post #6327 of 6330 Unread Today, 12:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
He is referring to the i1 pro (spectrometer) which requires a driver install.
Thanks Zoyd.
post #6328 of 6330 Unread Today, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
This one has me stumped.
How about deleting the other driver?
Or delete the device and start over?

Downloadable FREE demo discs: Demonstration Blu-Ray Discs (Independently Authored)
post #6329 of 6330 Unread Today, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastButNotLeast View Post
How about deleting the other driver?
Or delete the device and start over?
No need to delete any driver. I have the xrite and Argyll drivers both installed, and just "activate" the one I need, depending on the app I'm running.
post #6330 of 6330 Unread Today, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

But that didn't work for kyle, so I suggest deleting the device and starting over with no drivers, installing the device, and choosing the Argyll driver.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration