HCFR - Open source projector and display calibration software - Page 212 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 419Likes

post #6331 of 6341 Old 08-01-2015, 10:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Did a 10 point Luma test and delta-E numbers were far from satisfactory, I mean some were in double digits. I was able to get pretty good saturation sweeps this averaged at 1.5 or lower. So what are the steps for calibrating luma?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6332 of 6341 Old 08-02-2015, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisplayCalNoob View Post
Did a 10 point Luma test and delta-E numbers were far from satisfactory, I mean some were in double digits. I was able to get pretty good saturation sweeps this averaged at 1.5 or lower. So what are the steps for calibrating luma?
post 6315
post #6333 of 6341 Old Yesterday, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcn View Post
post 6315
Didn't see anything there about 10 point luma calibration, this is for color as a part of color checker.
post #6334 of 6341 Old Yesterday, 05:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisplayCalNoob View Post
Didn't see anything there about 10 point luma calibration, this is for color as a part of color checker.
Thought luma is the same as luminance, interdependent with gamma cal. Luminance graph can be broken out by RGB, if that's useful. Someone will directly answer your question.

Edit: now understand you asked about CIE luminance Y', not gamma luminance Y. Someone will have the right answer.

Last edited by bmcn; Yesterday at 06:15 AM.
post #6335 of 6341 Old Yesterday, 06:29 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
So far HCFR Calibration works perfectly fine in Windows 10 with one exception. When I move cursor to any toolbar icon/button, like "Luminance Graph", "CIE Diagram", or "Measure Red Saturation Scale", the orange-green balloon notification, the actual text that says "Luminance Graph" when you hover cursor on that icon/button appears extremely slow, choppy, with low framerate. I think it was a lot faster in Windows 8.1. Aside from that - all is peachy.

Another TINY issue is that there is a pattern called "Geometrie" and I think it should be renamed to "Geometry" instead... I think "Geometrie" was from French translation?

Big thanks to Zoyd! HCFR Calibration is a fully functional measurement software now, no worse than some of the other big packages!

P.S. All that is truly missing now are new high-resolution/definition or at least heavily upscaled toolbar icons/buttons. I wish I was good with Photoshop and could make some on my own... Anyway, new icons/buttons would give HCFR Calibration a modern look.
post #6336 of 6341 Old Yesterday, 08:17 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masharak View Post
So far HCFR Calibration works perfectly fine in Windows 10 with one exception. When I move cursor to any toolbar icon/button, like "Luminance Graph", "CIE Diagram", or "Measure Red Saturation Scale", the orange-green balloon notification, the actual text that says "Luminance Graph" when you hover cursor on that icon/button appears extremely slow, choppy, with low framerate. I think it was a lot faster in Windows 8.1. Aside from that - all is peachy.
I encountered a somewhat different problem with Windows 10 running on my Dell Latitude E6420 laptop, using the i1Display Pro sensor. In the grid view, if I click on the Continuous Measure icon and then select a different column, HCFR does not always switch to that column. I would have to stop the continuous measure, select that column, and run the continuous measure again. Also, the icon may show a green triangle (Run) instead of a red X (Stop), while it's in the continuous measure mode.

I did not notice that problem on that laptop previously, running Windows 8.1.

Last edited by Dominic Chan; Yesterday at 09:02 AM.
post #6337 of 6341 Old Yesterday, 10:32 AM

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Chan View Post
I encountered a somewhat different problem with Windows 10 running on my Dell Latitude E6420 laptop, using the i1Display Pro sensor. In the grid view, if I click on the Continuous Measure icon and then select a different column, HCFR does not always switch to that column. I would have to stop the continuous measure, select that column, and run the continuous measure again. Also, the icon may show a green triangle (Run) instead of a red X (Stop), while it's in the continuous measure mode.

I did not notice that problem on that laptop previously, running Windows 8.1.
I had that sometimes in windows 7 also so it's not windows 10 related.
I can reproduce if i take measurements and have 2 windows open, one with the numbers and a second with the gamma for examble and sometimes this huppens.
post #6338 of 6341 Old Yesterday, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcn View Post
Thought luma is the same as luminance, interdependent with gamma cal. Luminance graph can be broken out by RGB, if that's useful. Someone will directly answer your question.

Edit: now understand you asked about CIE luminance Y', not gamma luminance Y. Someone will have the right answer.
Did some research, it turns out it's just the color control. It is luma/chroma, I just have to be careful that luminance (contrast/backlight) and luma/chroma doesn't go to far, leading to artifacts.

Color contrast really brings out image detail.
post #6339 of 6341 Old Today, 03:15 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everyone...

I posted these over in the Sharp AQUOS thread, but thought I would open it up to a wider audience. I am new to metered calibration and such a vast array of CMS controls on my Sharp LCD LED panel.

I recently purchased a ColorMunki meter and have been testing it out using the Curt Palme guide and helpful advice by members of the Sharp thread, but still trying to come to grips with it all. I have run a greyscale check on two modes (Standard and Movie THX), and attempted to adjust it appropriately, but I am left with a few burning questions...

I am finding that in both modes, when using the 10-point white balance controls, any adjustments to the RGB gain from 60%-100% gray levels just don't seem to make a difference on the meter. Is this something experienced by others, or could it perhaps indicate that other settings like contrast/brightness/backlight are way off? (I did calibrate contrast/brightness using DVE prior to tackling the greyscale) I also find that blue is definitely dominant at each step, with it being impossible to bring down to 100% in a couple of steps, but perhaps this is just my tv.

I have attached the measurements of Standard mode, both before and after adjustment, and also a reading after recalibrating just the HI/LO RGB levels on advice from another forum member, which yielded good results, but with a major dip at 60%. Can anyone explain what might cause this?

Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.1 Greyscale - before.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	868146   Click image for larger version

Name:	1.2 Greyscale - after.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	868154   Click image for larger version

Name:	1.3 Greyscale - after HI-LO adjustment.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	868162  
post #6340 of 6341 Old Today, 03:20 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Here are the results of Movie THX mode. Clearly a much better starting point than Standard mode (which I knew, but using Standard mode to practice).

Strangely, it was better prior to calibration, even though I had much greater success in getting the 10-point RGB levels somewhat even... but again there were minimal discernable differences in the metered RGB levels from 60% upwards.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2.1 Greyscale - Movie THX BEFORE.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	868170   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.2 Greyscale - Movie THX AFTER.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	868178  
post #6341 of 6341 Old Today, 06:15 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemery76 View Post
Strangely, it was better prior to calibration, even though I had much greater success in getting the 10-point RGB levels somewhat even...
The dips are definitely not normal. I suggest that you do the following in sequence and measure the grey scale after each step:
1. reset all the controls back to factory default
2. adjust the colour temperature only use the two-point control
3. using the 10-point control, adjust one point (e.g., 60%) of each channel down significantly. This is to check whether the 60% control indeed controls the 60% IRE point

The runs should be really quick to make if you use the HCFR internal signal generator. You can post the HCFR data file instead of the plots.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration