HCFR - Open source projector and display calibration software - Page 214 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 741Likes

post #6391 of 7815 Old 08-10-2015, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoyd View Post
no conversion is needed, plug the CalMAN matrix values into the HCFR sensor matrix page using a non-refresh type display selection.
zoyd

If I want to create a meter correction file myself in HCFR, how many measurements should I have in the reference file and the "current" file? When I use grey scale measurements the program would just crash, disappearing without any error messages.

My reference file is for i1Display Pro measuring off the projection screen, the "current" file is for i1Disply Pro measuring directly at the projector
lens in the ambient light mode.

Thanks.

Last edited by Dominic Chan; 08-10-2015 at 03:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6392 of 7815 Old 08-10-2015, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 1310 Post(s)
Liked: 1035
post #6393 of 7815 Old 08-11-2015, 02:01 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Hi guys...

After posting my results last week, I haven't really had time to do any more calibrating, but have at least been sitting back and analysing the picture.

My calibrations and readings from last week were largely improved from my efforts the previous week, with the temp mostly solid at 6500K and the Luminance and RGB levels mostly level (both fall away at 20% and below), but just slightly higher above the curve. Note that this was calibrating using Standard mode, and although I will ultimately calibrate again using a more appropriate mode like Movie or THX, I have just been using Standard to practice and get used to the tools, so I know that Standard mode is not ideal.

Regardless of the limitations of Standard mode though, I already notice a massive increase in picture information, with less imbalance and oversaturation of the primaries and secondaries, and a much greater depth to the shadows. But overall, I do find that the image looks a little yellow... especially in the skin tones, and I was wondering if those who have achieved a near perfect 6500K temperature also find it a little yellow. Its not too bad, and the overall colour is certainly closer to a natural pallette than I have ever had it before, but still just doesn't look right, even though it measures reasonably close... and I really feel that it should just be a little cooler. Even when checking the greyscale pattersn, there is clearly a yellow-brownish tinge to the mid-area.

I am using a Sharp Quattron Pro, which includes a yellow sub-pixel, but not sure how much of an impact this would be having, again given the readings are not too far off the mark (or at least so I think).

What are peoples impressions of the white balance after calibrating close to D65?
post #6394 of 7815 Old 08-11-2015, 03:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

post #6395 of 7815 Old 08-11-2015, 05:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I still can't get my head around which colorspace to choose when calibrating HTPC so that I can use the PC for games and not have the desktop looking messed up. Any help with this would be appreciated.
post #6396 of 7815 Old 08-11-2015, 05:55 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 10
right settings in hcfr

Hi how is right setting in hcfr to measure gamma and colours with internal generator - gamma with settings 0-255 for internal pattern generator or 16-235. I suppose for colour the right settings is 0-255.
The tv that i calibrate is led lcd, when i open program i set led lce tv ips samsung, lg setting in hcfr.
post #6397 of 7815 Old 08-11-2015, 06:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1171 Post(s)
Liked: 819
Quote:
Originally Posted by pars2010 View Post
I still can't get my head around which colorspace to choose when calibrating HTPC so that I can use the PC for games and not have the desktop looking messed up. Any help with this would be appreciated.
You don't calibrate a display FOR anything, it's either calibrated or it's not. If the SOURCES are different, you may have a problem, but if you're gaming and viewing from the same PC, you should calibrate your display (you aren't calibrating the HTPC) running REW from that PC. What is your display? You may also want to define "messed up."
Michael

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
Downloadable FREE demo discs: Demonstration Blu-Ray Discs (Independently Authored)
Welcome to AVS - Get out while you still can!
post #6398 of 7815 Old 08-11-2015, 06:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Here are the typical settings for calibrating via HTPC. #3 would be least preferred as it may introduce banding when the GPU scales the levels. Option #2 assumes the video rendering software can output video levels (e.g. madVR).

Last edited by zoyd; 08-11-2015 at 07:02 AM.
post #6399 of 7815 Old 08-11-2015, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastButNotLeast View Post
You don't calibrate a display FOR anything, it's either calibrated or it's not. If the SOURCES are different, you may have a problem, but if you're gaming and viewing from the same PC, you should calibrate your display (you aren't calibrating the HTPC) running REW from that PC. What is your display? You may also want to define "messed up."
Michael
I'm calibrating a projector optoma HD131x, I had a try at the weekend and got the grayscale looking good as in my earlier posts.I checked the brightness again but the flashing bars wouldn't show properly to allow adjustment so I started trying different colorspace settings between projector and display and got the bars flashing, adjusted the brightness which then made the desktop look messed up/crushed.

Hopefully this makes more sense , if not then sorry.
post #6400 of 7815 Old 08-11-2015, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Here are the typical settings for calibrating via HTPC. #3 would be least preferred as is may introduce banding when the GPU scales the levels. Option #2 assumes the video rendering software can output video levels (e.g. madVR).

Quote:
I'm calibrating a projector optoma HD131x, I had a try at the weekend and got the grayscale looking good as in my earlier posts.I checked the brightness again but the flashing bars wouldn't show properly to allow adjustment so I started trying different colorspace settings between projector and display and got the bars flashing, adjusted the brightness which then made the desktop look messed up/crushed.

Hopefully this makes more sense , if not then sorry.
Ok so after writing my last post I noticed zoyds post which looks really helpful and #1 looks the best option but I have a couple of questions .

1. How do I change the colorspace in HCFR

2. When I calibrated the 1st time I used the auto generated patterns but colors looked different from player to player Jriver /Mpc-H . Should I be using test signals played through the player to get the colors right for the player I'm using ?
post #6401 of 7815 Old 08-11-2015, 07:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Ok so after writing my last post I noticed zoyds post which looks really helpful and #1 looks the best option but I have a couple of questions .

I think you mean levels encoding (colorspace would be Rec709 etc.). To set 0-255 levels (black = 0, reference white =255) you select it in the view images dialog. Note that with this setting you will clip below black and above reference white. (which is ok)

Quote:
2. When I calibrated the 1st time I used the auto generated patterns but colors looked different from player to player Jriver /Mpc-H . Should I be using test signals played through the player to get the colors right for the player I'm using ?
Whatever player you use has to match the levels you have calibrated the black to reference white range for, 0-255 in your case.
post #6402 of 7815 Old 08-11-2015, 07:30 AM

Quote:
I think you mean levels encoding (colorspace would be Rec709 etc.). To set 0-255 levels (black = 0, reference white =255) you select it in the view images dialog. Note that with this setting you will clip below black and above reference white. (which is ok)

Whatever player you use has to match the levels you have calibrated the black to reference white range for, 0-255 in your case.
Choosing 0-255 will I be able to set the black and contrast levels easy enough seeing the flashing bars. If not what is the best way to set that . Sorry for all the noob questions and thanks for your patience.
post #6403 of 7815 Old 08-11-2015, 08:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Choosing 0-255 will I be able to set the black and contrast levels easy enough seeing the flashing bars. If not what is the best way to set that . Sorry for all the noob questions and thanks for your patience.
Sure, on the low end a pluge pattern will allow you to use level 1 against a level 0 background. Set brightness so that level 1 is just barely visible in a completely blacked out room. On the high end you should be able to differentiate between all levels up to reference white 255.
post #6404 of 7815 Old 08-11-2015, 10:53 AM

Thanks for all the great help , I'll try all these settings tonight . one last question for now :-) .

When I start HCFR do I choose projector for display setting , and does it make a difference to calibration? The old 2008 dummies guide recommends LCD for projectors.
post #6405 of 7815 Old 08-11-2015, 01:27 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by chchrlam View Post
If I set the generator to 16-235 then the 16:16:16 is displayed as a black rectangular outline on a very dark background. This is setting off alarm bell - looks like my TV is in Full 0-255 mode. VLC playing the black and white clipping vids on the AVS HD thing will not display flashing blacks less than 16 and flashing whites greater that 235. I don't get it. Anyone what is going on or what I should choose for settings?
I figured it out - the VT50 TV is in full mode 0-255. It appears to be an automatic thing with now way of telling which mode is active. VLC clips 0-15 and 236-255 and scales this to full 0-255 and sends it on to the TV. Stuff doing stuff in secret behind closed doors = confusion

Quote:
Q2: Averaging readings
Quote:
Perform a unique measurement and Continuous measurements are not consistent with my EODIS3 i1Display Pro - they hop around a bit for example from Delta E 0.2 to 0.9. The Y is bit "hoppier" making it difficult to calibrate the gamma.
Increasing the integration time to 1 helps, Somewhere Zoyd said he has some averaging code. Did this ever get into a release?
post #6406 of 7815 Old 08-11-2015, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
I'm just reading through all the answers from tonight and wanted to check I've interpreted this one properly.

So as long as the player is set to 0-255 it should be OK to use the auto generated test patterns from HCFR with no need to use test patterns in the actual player? I guess I've got in my head that the mwdia player with all the filters etc would make a difference to the video.
post #6407 of 7815 Old 08-11-2015, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Increasing the integration time to 1 helps, Somewhere Zoyd said he has some averaging code. Did this ever get into a release?
yes, there is a button in the probe box to turn on additional averaging. This should not be needed for the D3.

Quote:
I'm just reading through all the answers from tonight and wanted to check I've interpreted this one properly.

So as long as the player is set to 0-255 it should be OK to use the auto generated test patterns from HCFR with no need to use test patterns in the actual player? I guess I've got in my head that the mwdia player with all the filters etc would make a difference to the video.
No, a prerequisite of using the display side calibration that you get using the internal pattern generator is that the video player match black and white levels. In addition, the player could mess up the calibration in other ways but not with filters like chroma scaling or sharpening and such. Just like an external DVD/BD player you have to ensure that controls like color and tint are in default positions and don't effect the video stream, so running some grayscale and primaries/secondaries patterns through the player is probably a good idea to verify that.
post #6408 of 7815 Old 08-11-2015, 05:43 PM

Quote:

No, a prerequisite of using the display side calibration that you get using the internal pattern generator is that the video player match black and white levels. In addition, the player could mess up the calibration in other ways but not with filters like chroma scaling or sharpening and such. Just like an external DVD/BD player you have to ensure that controls like color and tint are in default positions and don't effect the video stream, so running some grayscale and primaries/secondaries patterns through the player is probably a good idea to verify that.[/QUOTE]

Thanks zoyd , that's cleared that up :-)
post #6409 of 7815 Old 08-12-2015, 05:27 AM

Quote:

Can you explain more please where to find this setting, I searched for ages last night and could'nt find it ?
post #6410 of 7815 Old 08-12-2015, 05:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1393 Post(s)
Liked: 1594
Quote:
Can you explain more please where to find this setting, I searched for ages last night and could'nt find it ?
Measures>Generator>Configure

Default = 0-255
post #6411 of 7815 Old 08-12-2015, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcn View Post
Measures>Generator>Configure

Default = 0-255
Brilliant thanks! I was looking for ages :-)

I'm going to be calibrating Bluray player , would it be ok to set that to 0-255 the same as PC so I don't need to change settings every time I switch source ?

Last edited by pars2010; 08-12-2015 at 06:06 AM.
post #6412 of 7815 Old 08-12-2015, 06:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
I'm going to be calibrating Bluray player , would it be ok to set that to 0-255 the same as PC so I dont need to change the colorspace on projector everytime I switch from pc to bluray.
Don't use an external player, but I believe that's correct.
post #6413 of 7815 Old 08-12-2015, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcn View Post
Don't use an external player, but I believe that's correct.
Yeah my internal/pc Bluray player will be playing through a media player.

I also have a panasonic dedicated 3D Bluray player, so would it be ok to calibrate at 0-255 so I don't have to change settings when switching from PC to dedicated Bluray player ?
post #6414 of 7815 Old 08-12-2015, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yeah my internal/pc Bluray player will be playing through a media player.

I also have a panasonic dedicated 3D Bluray player, so would it be ok to calibrate at 0-255 so I don't have to change settings when switching from PC to dedicated Bluray player ?
Understood your question; believe 0-255 is correct setting.

edit: I would try to find a way to use 16-235 with the BD player because that is the native color space for video. Understand 0-255 might be more convenient for use with your projector, but that setting requires the BD player to convert 16-235 to 0-255.

Taking this further, unless there's a way to connect your pc to the external BD player, I would use the AVS-HD disc as the pattern source for the external BD player. You have to determine if the effort is worth it.

Last edited by bmcn; 08-12-2015 at 07:14 AM.
post #6415 of 7815 Old 08-12-2015, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

minor bug fix uploaded, same version number

@Dominic Chan

I could not find any issues with the Y target grid values in gray scale vs. corresponding ones in near-black. Also, be careful when using simulated data since it's all created using a fixed power law value of 2.2, so you'll get simulated data that doesn't hit a BT.1886 target even when setting all simulation parameters to 0.
post #6416 of 7815 Old 08-12-2015, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
I could not find any issues with the Y target grid values in gray scale vs. corresponding ones in near-black. Also, be careful when using simulated data since it's all created using a fixed power law value of 2.2, so you'll get simulated data that doesn't hit a BT.1886 target even when setting all simulation parameters to 0.
Thanks for the update.

The errors I noticed are minor. For example, with Target Gamma of 2.2, the grey scale shows 0.637 for Y and Y-Target, whereas the near-black shows 0.637 for Y-Target, but 0.631 for Y.

Also, the maximum allowable points for near-black is 50, but the graph would only show a maximum of 10 points.
post #6417 of 7815 Old 08-12-2015, 01:59 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Guys i don't play games or working in my 4k lg so my settings are hcfr to default, pc to ycbr444 and the same setting to my bd player. Is the above correct?
post #6418 of 7815 Old 08-12-2015, 07:31 PM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Had another late one last night to stay up and have a stab at calibrating the THX mode on my Sharp Quattron, and as suggested by others and expected by me, the results were much superior (both pre and post calibration) than Standard mode.

There were a couple of interesting observations I made along the way... one of the most concerning was that my 10-point scale adjustments did not always match the corresponding grey value, e.g. while the constant readings would visibly adjust when changing RGB levels at, say point 4 (using 40% grey pattern), making adjustments at point 5 with the 50% grey pattern had no effect whatsoever, and it was only once changing the pattern to 60% that changes to point 5 started to register. This virtually replicated across the remaining levels up to 10, as I had to use 70% pattern to adjust point 6, and 90% pattern to adjust point 7, 100% to adjust point 8, and I just winged the last two points as best I could. Very strange, and concerning that clearly my ten-point scale is not actually set to the expected 10% increases as per the included patterns. Any thoughts on this?

Also, when using HCFR via my laptop connected to my TV via mini-Display to HDMI, is there a way I can simply display the automatic test patterns just on the external monitor (TV)? I don't really see how I can use the constant read mode to adjust values when the test patterns obscures the program window where the readings are being presented.

Alas though, my post-calibration adjustments were very satisfying, and a lot better than I have been previously able to achieve (granted that my former calibrations were done on Standard mode). I have included three files in the below attachment, one the pre-calibration greyscale check after setting brightness and contrast (to 40ftL), and the remaining two are post-calibration, with different gamma levels between the two post versions. I had calibrated at Gamma +0 (I had neglected to lower this prior to calibration), but the resultant curve was very well balanced, with the main concern being that it was noticeably higher than the reference curve. Aside from that, I am happy with the other graphs, having an acceptable gamma range, RGB levels that are mostly solid at 100%, and a temp that mostly holds at 6500K. What do you guys think, based on the measurement files?

Following on from that, realizing that the gamma was still at +0, I reduced it down to -2 (out of a max of -3) and re-ran the full measurement checks (attached with Gamma -2 in the filename). This brought my luminance curve a lot closer to the reference curve, but the blue level remained high, the gamma was overall closer to 2.2 but the RGB levels showed a slight oversatiration of blue, and the temp is slightly above 6500K (it should be noted that at pretty much all of the 10 point positions, blue was minimised to its lowest level of -30 and green was increased to its max level of +30)

I guess my question is: based on the measurements between the Gamma +0 and Gamma -2 measurements, what would you recommend I stick with...
- Gamma -2, where the luminance curve the is close to reference but with slightly oversaturated blue and and a slightly-above 6500K temp, OR...
- Gamma +0, where the RGB levels are more balanced, the gamma sits more down at 1.9 and the temp mostly holds at 6500K, but the luminance curve is a fair degree higher than the reference curve?

My biggest struggles were when trying to calibrate the 100% colours to match D65, as I couldn't really get close (as evidenced in both pre and post calibration files) and I just feel they are way off, and no amount of adjusting the hue, saturation, value of each individual colour could bring them closer than what I have managed... but they all seem far more inaccurate when compared to my Standard mode calibrations (but the Standard greyscale is definitely inferior).

Thanks in advance for any advice you're able to provide you're able to provide!
Attached Files
File Type: zip THX Calibration files.zip (44.1 KB, 18 views)

Last edited by Clemery76; 08-12-2015 at 07:58 PM.
post #6419 of 7815 Old 08-13-2015, 12:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemery76 View Post
I guess my question is: based on the measurements between the Gamma +0 and Gamma -2 measurements, what would you recommend I stick with...
- Gamma -2, where the luminance curve the is close to reference but with slightly oversaturated blue and and a slightly-above 6500K temp, OR...
- Gamma +0, where the RGB levels are more balanced, the gamma sits more down at 1.9 and the temp mostly holds at 6500K, but the luminance curve is a fair degree higher than the reference curve?
For some reason I wasn't able to open your attachments. Hopefully it works for someone else.
post #6420 of 7815 Old 08-13-2015, 06:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueChris View Post
Guys i don't play games or working in my 4k lg so my settings are hcfr to default, pc to ycbr444 and the same setting to my bd player. Is the above correct?
Post 6398 should help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page