HCFR - Open source projector and display calibration software - Page 218 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 448Likes

post #6511 of 6526 Old Yesterday, 11:34 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by higate View Post
Here you go m8...

I also did CMS measurement just for the panel comparison sake :-)
Ok i watched your results and what i see is strange. Till now i had put my 950 settings in 2 850 tv's with minor differences not more than 2-3% but what i see in yours is pretty big. I dont know if the gurus here have seen so much difference in almost identical TV's. Did you ever change anything in Service menu in grayscale numbers? and if yes can you tell me what are your numbers now?. A strange thing also is that with this settings i get 124Y in 100IRE and you get 112Y so this is big difference to me. Are you sure that your Spider3 is in good condition?

I assume that everything is right so i go to the results now... i will try to explain some things as an examble to try.
If you see the gamma scale its almost straight (ignoring the differences in the 3 colors) even though gamma is going high slowly above 60IRE till 100. Now if you click in measures the 80Ire you will see in middle left in the 3 RGB bars this
Red 87,8
Green 104,7
Blue 89.3
Also HCFR tells you according your 100 ire that in 80IRE the Y target must be 68.395 and you have now 70.107. This is exactly what is shown in the gamma result screen.. you see there that you are going in 3 colors from 2 to 2.1 gamma. Now to me you need to go to 2pt high and try to fix the 3 bars in 80IRE, as i see it you need to lower the Green slowly and then free measure only the 80IRE till you see it dead straight at 2.2. If lowering the green is not enough to make the gamma at 2.2 then after you equalize them then reduce them equal till you achieve the 2.2
One problem is that the 20pt numbers that you had put interfere to the overall gamma so better reset the 20pt (for me also reset the CMS values) then do in 2pt high what i explained above.. if you understand how the grayscale even if it is ΔΕ=0 affects the gamma thats my main goal for you atm.
higate likes this.

Last edited by BlueChris; Yesterday at 11:40 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6512 of 6526 Old Yesterday, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 803 Post(s)
Liked: 568
Please keep this in mind:
http://referencehometheater.com/2013...ults-compared/
BlueChris and higate like this.

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
Downloadable FREE demo discs: Demonstration Blu-Ray Discs (Independently Authored)
Welcome to AVS - Get out while you still can!
post #6513 of 6526 Old Yesterday, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastButNotLeast View Post
Thx m8 very interesting and the article had the vt60 which came out from a better production line and it was the top notch product and with this in mind i suppose the differencies between our panels with @higate maybe are big its just i cannot accept sooooo big differences. For examble everywhere i looked for the lg lcd's calibrations most people reduce a ton of blue like myne and @higate s suddenly needs very little blue down that's why i ask him about his spyder3 situation and if he altered his numbers of grayscale in his service menu.
post #6514 of 6526 Old Yesterday, 02:36 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueChris View Post
Ok i watched your results and what i see is strange. Till now i had put my 950 settings in 2 850 tv's with minor differences not more than 2-3% but what i see in yours is pretty big. I dont know if the gurus here have seen so much difference in almost identical TV's. Did you ever change anything in Service menu in grayscale numbers? and if yes can you tell me what are your numbers now?. A strange thing also is that with this settings i get 124Y in 100IRE and you get 112Y so this is big difference to me. Are you sure that your Spider3 is in good condition?

I assume that everything is right so i go to the results now... i will try to explain some things as an examble to try.
If you see the gamma scale its almost straight (ignoring the differences in the 3 colors) even though gamma is going high slowly above 60IRE till 100. Now if you click in measures the 80Ire you will see in middle left in the 3 RGB bars this
Red 87,8
Green 104,7
Blue 89.3
Also HCFR tells you according your 100 ire that in 80IRE the Y target must be 68.395 and you have now 70.107. This is exactly what is shown in the gamma result screen.. you see there that you are going in 3 colors from 2 to 2.1 gamma. Now to me you need to go to 2pt high and try to fix the 3 bars in 80IRE, as i see it you need to lower the Green slowly and then free measure only the 80IRE till you see it dead straight at 2.2. If lowering the green is not enough to make the gamma at 2.2 then after you equalize them then reduce them equal till you achieve the 2.2
One problem is that the 20pt numbers that you had put interfere to the overall gamma so better reset the 20pt (for me also reset the CMS values) then do in 2pt high what i explained above.. if you understand how the grayscale even if it is ΔΕ=0 affects the gamma thats my main goal for you atm.
@BlueChris
First thing I have done today is to order a new sensor instead of the Spyder 3 - because I also suspected the sensor to making errors. Anyways I have ordered the Xrite ColorMunki Display (hope this is a good choose). What I will do as soon as i receive it, is to do a new measurement with your values again, just for comparison. After that i will look into your description above and see if i somehow can make this work.
Two question:
1) Do you use Window pattern or Fields (fullscreen)?
2) Any special settings for HCFR i should know about? (Refresh - Non Refresh display etc.)
post #6515 of 6526 Old Yesterday, 02:58 PM

I think in latest hcfr version when you open a saved session you get all the settings with it if i understood right from @Zoid updates but i don't have anything special. I have 5% APL, 50% windows and i had raised the reading time in my i1d3 to 0.8s to have better reading under 20 IRE but i use GDI with the embedded hcfr patterns which is the fastest calibration scenario for me since i use a pc to calibrate but i had also tested my calibration with my bluray player with the AVS disk and 10% grayscale window patterns. You know when you use HCFR embedded patterns you dont click nothing for examble in a full grayscale sweep and finishes damn fast with my i1d3 pro, i just click and watch lol. In my early calibrations i needed 5-6 hours straight...now i finish under 3 hours (after i need more than 7 hours for a full 3dlut creation with 11000+ samples but this is happening as i sleep). Btw how much you bought the colormunki? I ask because i1d3 that most people use i bought it from amazon under 200€.

Last edited by BlueChris; Yesterday at 03:04 PM.
post #6516 of 6526 Old Yesterday, 05:58 PM

Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoyd View Post
This was intentional because use of the black override option is meant for a particular hardware set-up (probe + display) in which blacks can't reliably be measured. It's not a sharable preference like gamut options.
Just noticed something "weird" with the RGB Levels graph. If I changed the Reference from "REC 709" to "REC 709 (75%/75%)", the R/G/B graphs change slightly, even though the values in the Measures grid remain unchanged (as they should).
post #6517 of 6526 Old Yesterday, 06:24 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Chan View Post
Just noticed something "weird" with the RGB Levels graph. If I changed the Reference from "REC 709" to "REC 709 (75%/75%)", the R/G/B graphs change slightly, even though the values in the Measures grid remain unchanged (as they should).
Are the scales the same on both graphs?

During more than a few weekly labs attached to a vibrations course in college my group made a few others go bat nuts crazy with this. Everybody usually gets the basic data but we seemed to be the only group that adjusted the defaults in excel so we used up the entire Y axis. Difference was slight, but enough to make others pull their hair out thinking they performed the lab incorrectly.

Just a thought.

Regards, (for the vast majority of people :-p)

Steve
post #6518 of 6526 Old Yesterday, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceberg86300 View Post
Are the scales the same on both graphs?
I did not switch the graph; only changed the Preference while the graph was being displayed. The scale remained unchanged, but the graphs themselves jumped slightly (e.g., from 95% to 93%).
post #6519 of 6526 Old Today, 12:41 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
I think in latest hcfr version when you open a saved session you get all the settings with it if i understood right from @Zoid updates but i don't have anything special. I have 5% APL, 50% windows and i had raised the reading time in my i1d3 to 0.8s to have better reading under 20 IRE but i use GDI with the embedded hcfr patterns which is the fastest calibration scenario for me since i use a pc to calibrate but i had also tested my calibration with my bluray player with the AVS disk and 10% grayscale window patterns. You know when you use HCFR embedded patterns you dont click nothing for examble in a full grayscale sweep and finishes damn fast with my i1d3 pro, i just click and watch lol. In my early calibrations i needed 5-6 hours straight...now i finish under 3 hours (after i need more than 7 hours for a full 3dlut creation with 11000+ samples but this is happening as i sleep). Btw how much you bought the colormunki? I ask because i1d3 that most people use i bought it from amazon under 200€.
I started out by using the window also but changed to fields since the local dimming effect was less. I do consider to use the embedded test patterns from HCFR, but need to know what settings i should use on my laptop graphic card so it does effect the results.
Also when i start the HCFR i don't change any settings so basically i'm using at it is.
I purchased the ColorMunki from a danish online shop for around 148€.
post #6520 of 6526 Old Today, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by higate View Post
I started out by using the window also but changed to fields since the local dimming effect was less. I do consider to use the embedded test patterns from HCFR, but need to know what settings i should use on my laptop graphic card so it does effect the results.
Also when i start the HCFR i don't change any settings so basically i'm using at it is.
I purchased the ColorMunki from a danish online shop for around 148€.
You got a good price and either way is same hardware for ColorMunki and i1d3 just the ColorMunki doesnt have the ambient sensor and is a bit slower in readings but thats fine.
What graphic card has your laptop? either way i use YcBcR 444 in my Nvidia 970 because there is a bug in our TV and this is that when i had my pc at full RGB in the TV the Black Setting needs to be to HIGH but the problem is that if you close the tv and reopen it then the tv goes to low the black setting even though is showing HIGH... to compensate this i use YcBCr444 and i am totally fine since im only using the TV for movies.
post #6521 of 6526 Old Today, 05:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
RGB instead of HLS

Hi Guys,

can anyone tell me if there is a way to change from HLS to RGB in HCFR when calibrating primarys and secondarys?
My Samsung TV has RGB Gamut Controls and not HLS.

Or is there any to match the measurements in order make the right color correction using RGB for every Color?

Best regards

PS:

Am i right its this option? (attached image)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RGB.PNG
Views:	12
Size:	18.0 KB
ID:	918410  

Last edited by RoninF; Today at 05:53 AM. Reason: possible solution
post #6522 of 6526 Old Today, 05:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
You got a good price and either way is same hardware for ColorMunki and i1d3 just the ColorMunki doesnt have the ambient sensor and is a bit slower in readings but thats fine.
The ColorMunki Display has an ambient configuration. It's the same hardware, just different firmware.
post #6523 of 6526 Old Today, 06:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwgill View Post
The ColorMunki Display has an ambient configuration. It's the same hardware, just different firmware.
Also colormunky display support only hcfr but i1d3 suport all (chroma pure,calman ...)
post #6524 of 6526 Old Today, 06:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1andel View Post
Also colormunky display support only hcfr ...
and ArgyllCMS and ColorMeter.
post #6525 of 6526 Old Today, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninF View Post
can anyone tell me if there is a way to change from HLS to RGB in HCFR when calibrating primarys and secondarys?
My Samsung TV has RGB Gamut Controls and not HLS.
Which version of HCFR are you using? Mine (3.3.5) uses RGB unless the option "Use HSV Level Bars" is manually checked.
post #6526 of 6526 Old Today, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Chan View Post
Which version of HCFR are you using? Mine (3.3.5) uses RGB unless the option "Use HSV Level Bars" is manually checked.
When should I check that box? What does it do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration