HCFR - Open source projector and display calibration software - Page 219 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 452Likes
post #6541 of 6549 Old Today, 08:12 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueChris View Post
My main goal was when i was doing a full sweep and later i wanted to make corrections to the numbers inside the 20pt (2pt also) and that wasnt behave in edits correctly. I mean for examble i see in HCFR that at 60IRE i need a bit of red so i go normally at 20pt grayscale menu and at 60IRE i add a bit of red but i end up changing the 80IRE.
Such a major shift is usually caused by the Contrast setting being reduced too much. Try using the Backlight control, rather than the Contrast control, to set your target luminance.
Quote:
Lets assume you do a full sweep grayscale measure and you see that at 100IRE you get 120Y.
Then you go to grayscale menu and you go to 100IRE and there you open in HCFR a new window and you do a free measure of the 100IRE only and that is higher. So there you will see for examble that Luminance is 195Y. Now in the Luminance setting in there in 20pt you put this exact number 195.
I would normally use the Backlight or Contrast control (see above), not the 20-point control, to set the luminance at 100IRE.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6542 of 6549 Old Today, 09:00 AM

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Chan View Post
Such a major shift is usually caused by the Contrast setting being reduced too much. Try using the Backlight control, rather than the Contrast control, to set your target luminance.

I would normally use the Backlight or Contrast control (see above), not the 20-point control, to set the luminance at 100IRE.
This is what i use for luminance control thx m8. My contrast is set by the scrolling bars from hcfr.
post #6543 of 6549 Old Today, 12:51 PM

Dominic i want your expertise in something if you can help.
If you have a bit of time and download my hcfr session from my signature post you will see that im not reaching the 100% primaries of blue and green but till 85-90% on both im fine especially after i use my own 3dlut.
I had tried so far to raise the color with no result, also i tried the wide gamut with no apparent difference so I'm out of ideas.

Thx for any help.
post #6544 of 6549 Old Today, 05:51 PM

Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
im not reaching the 100% primaries of blue and green but till 85-90% on both im fine especially after i use my own 3dlut.
I had tried so far to raise the color with no result, also i tried the wide gamut with no apparent difference so I'm out of ideas.
As a rule, if the gamut is too "small" you cannot raise it, even with 3DLUT. What does the CIE Diagram look like when you use the wide gamut setting?
post #6545 of 6549 Unread Today, 09:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 613 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:
Dominic i want your expertise in something if you can help.
If you have a bit of time and download my hcfr session from my signature post you will see that im not reaching the 100% primaries of blue and green but till 85-90% on both im fine especially after i use my own 3dlut.

Thx for any help.
Those are some really good results. Even before calibration is better than my after calibration.

What is 3Dlut and how do you use it?

Pioneer VSX-1124-K, NHT Classic Three (L/R), Classic Two (rear) TwoC (center), PSA V1500 (x2)
HTPC/server (Emby)
OTA Winegard HD7698P
Sharp LC-60SQ15U
My DIY subwoofer build
post #6546 of 6549 Unread Today, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Chan View Post
As a rule, if the gamut is too "small" you cannot raise it, even with 3DLUT. What does the CIE Diagram look like when you use the wide gamut setting?
It doesn't changes in the 100ire of blue and green but it messes up all the rest so i avoid it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhughy2010 View Post
Those are some really good results. Even before calibration is better than my after calibration.

What is 3Dlut and how do you use it?
3dlut is a color correction file. Its created with argyl2cms and dispalguy after a long run of reading of grayscale and color patches. You can use it with madvr like i do or you can buy a hardware device that after you create your 3dlut you put in that device and you put that device before the tv and every other device you have connects to it and the output is color corrected.
jhughy2010 likes this.
post #6547 of 6549 Unread Today, 10:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
It doesn't changes in the 100ire of blue and green but it messes up all the rest so i avoid it.

3dlut is a color correction file. Its created with argyl2cms and dispalguy after a long run of reading of grayscale and color patches. You can use it with madvr like i do or you can buy a hardware device that after you create your 3dlut you put in that device and you put that device before the tv and every other device you have connects to it and the output is color corrected.
Ok I just read up on it a little (a bit confusing). Is DispcalGUI easy to use? Does this create a profile that can then be used on Windows?

Pioneer VSX-1124-K, NHT Classic Three (L/R), Classic Two (rear) TwoC (center), PSA V1500 (x2)
HTPC/server (Emby)
OTA Winegard HD7698P
Sharp LC-60SQ15U
My DIY subwoofer build
post #6548 of 6549 Unread Today, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhughy2010 View Post
Ok I just read up on it a little (a bit confusing). Is DispcalGUI easy to use? Does this create a profile that can then be used on Windows?
Its very easy don't be afraid its just needs hours if you i use to many patches. I do full sweep 11000+ patches just before bedtime and i find it ready in the morning.
No there isn't anything for windows but with reshade you can use your 3dlut in any directx application. I use it in kodi for examble.
jhughy2010 likes this.
post #6549 of 6549 Unread Today, 10:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Its very easy don't be afraid its just needs hours if you i use to many patches. I do full sweep 11000+ patches just before bedtime and i find it ready in the morning.
No there isn't anything for windows but with reshade you can use your 3dlut in any directx application. I use it in kodi for examble.
I'll definitely need to read more about this.

It is a color correction file that you'd run after a calibration with HCFR or before? In other words, I calibrate my display and then I run the DispcalGUI test? Then apply the file afterward? You said you use this with madVR, so does it require more processing power than an Intel iGPU?

HTPC/server (Emby)
OTA Winegard HD7698P
Sharp LC-60SQ15U
My DIY subwoofer build
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page