HCFR - Open source projector and display calibration software - Page 23 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 32Likes

post #661 of 4098 Old 05-21-2012, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoyd View Post

You can use this in HCFR and it will be perfect for chromaticity but it will slightly shift the Y-values of RGBYCM (not white).

Which thinking about it is fine, so yes just use this matrix.

John

My Company - Upsilon Software
Free Projects - DScaler & hcfr fork
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #662 of 4098 Old 05-21-2012, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAd View Post

Here's my spreadsheet for calculating the matrices

Spreadsheet was VERY illustrative and helpful. I've learned how to do a little matrix math in Excel! Thank you!!

Quote:

You can use this in HCFR and it will be perfect for chromaticity but it will slightly shift the Y-values of RGBYCM (not white).

Thanks. I appreciate your patience! Both of you.

This slight Y value shift is because Y values on the D3 aren't "perfect", or is it because the math doesn't account for Y perfectly? If it's the math, is this what John says he's going to fix in HCFR?

You have the same meter, and I know you to be a bit of a perfectionist. How are you coping with this imperfection? No choice?
post #663 of 4098 Old 05-21-2012, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 303
The Y shift is because HCFR implements a Y correction by design. So if you profile the D3 using HCFR (like I do) it's fine, but because your matrix does not include a Y correction it generates that small error. I think John said he would fix that so that one can do the correction with or without Y.
post #664 of 4098 Old 05-21-2012, 01:46 PM

I've created a .ccmx file using the Argyllcms dispread and ccxxmake commands, but can't find what directory to put it into so that HCFR will allow me to pick it. Specifically, I'm using the argyll driver for a DTP94 and the "Use existing correction file" pull-down is always blank and doesn't allow me to type anything in. Doesn't HCFR allow use of .ccmx files? or only the .thc files created within HCFR? The reason I used ccxxmake was because I'm using my i1D3 as the "reference" to generate the correction for my DTP94 for a WLED laptop display. HCFR 3.0.4.0 doesn't yet allow for Simultaneous Measures" for two argyll-driver meters, so I couldn't us it to create the .thc file. Any suggestions?
post #665 of 4098 Old 05-22-2012, 02:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The Y shift is because HCFR implements a Y correction by design. So if you profile the D3 using HCFR (like I do) it's fine, but because your matrix does not include a Y correction it generates that small error. I think John said he would fix that so that one can do the correction with or without Y.

Sorry about adding to the confusion, I'll try and clarify things a bit.

If we start with the 3 colour method, this takes the readings and references in xyz or XYZ space and calculates the matrix that will transform the readings to the references. If you use xyz then the columns of the matrix add to 1 which means that if you apply it to xyz values then the results are always valid xyz triplets.

The 4 colour approach ends up doing something more subtle and ends up with a matrix that when applied to xyz values converts the white from reading to reference keeping the xyz balance intact but that only works for that one point, looking at the column sums they no longer add to 1.
This is what confused me slightly and made me think that re-normalisation was desireable/correct.

When moving to XYZ values rather than xyz the 3 colour approach will adjust the 3 primaries from whatever the readings are to whatever the references are for all 3 values so it just works.

With the 4 colour matrix the Y values with shift in a clever but not very obvious way that's not related to the actual Y readings as all the inputs to the calculations are normalized values.

I'm currently thinking that the best approach will be to scale the resulting 4 colour matrix so that the measured Y value for white is corrected to the reference white Y value and not to do any normalisation of the results. This is a minor issue and with only effect the Y values in a linear fashion and so for now just use the calculated matrices.

John

post #666 of 4098 Old 05-22-2012, 02:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dml1333 View Post

I've created a .ccmx file using the Argyllcms dispread and ccxxmake commands, but can't find what directory to put it into so that HCFR will allow me to pick it. Specifically, I'm using the argyll driver for a DTP94 and the "Use existing correction file" pull-down is always blank and doesn't allow me to type anything in. Doesn't HCFR allow use of .ccmx files? or only the .thc files created within HCFR? The reason I used ccxxmake was because I'm using my i1D3 as the "reference" to generate the correction for my DTP94 for a WLED laptop display. HCFR 3.0.4.0 doesn't yet allow for Simultaneous Measures" for two argyll-driver meters, so I couldn't us it to create the .thc file. Any suggestions?

The current version doesn't support ccmx files but you can enter a matrix for all meters by switching on the activate calibration files for all tri-stimulus probes in the advances preferences.

These issues should all be fixed shortly once I get all the issues ironed out, I'd expect a relaese early next week with the calibration matrix stuff much better.

John

post #667 of 4098 Old 05-22-2012, 06:05 PM

Liked: 10
Hi all, im new to this forum and new to hole calibration thing. I want to try and do some calibration on my JVC X3, so I been reading up on HCFR software, as I all ready have a Spyder 4 that we use for cal the computer screen for photo editing. I’ve down loaded the software and installed it on my laptop which is running xp but can't get the program to see the drivers for the spyder 4. The mesage i get up on the screen is (incorrect driver - starting communications with the meter failed with sever error. Argyll Error)

I was hoping that one of you kind experts would point me in the right direction.

Thanks
post #668 of 4098 Old 05-23-2012, 12:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbyrob View Post

I was hoping that one of you kind experts would point me in the right direction.

http://sourceforge.net/p/hcfr/wiki/D...0Instructions/

and

http://sourceforge.net/p/hcfr/wiki/Spyder%204/

post #669 of 4098 Old 05-23-2012, 04:03 AM

Thanks for the response, I followed these instructions last night but still could not get the program to see the spyder 4 pro.

I tried point the spider 4 towards the driver folder in the program files as stated by going to device manager and updating the driver.

When this didn't work I installed the full spyder program and then downloaded the later version of the driver just to make sure it worked.

So when HCFR still wouldn't look at it I uninstalled the spyder program and the driver and started again, but still no look.

HELP

It's probable just me being thick but I don't know what to try next
post #670 of 4098 Old 05-23-2012, 04:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I tried point the spider 4 towards the driver folder in the program files as stated by going to device manager and updating the driver.

This is the critical step, you must force windows to load up the driver from the hcfr driver directory by selecting all the manual options.

In device manager you should have a section called Argyll LibUSB-1.0A devices, with the device with (Argyll) after the name. If you don't see that then HCFR won't load the driver properly.

John

post #671 of 4098 Old 05-23-2012, 01:23 PM

hi i dont seam to have a section in device manager called, Argyll LibUSB-1.0A devices. is there a solution for this?
post #672 of 4098 Old 05-23-2012, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

hi i dont seam to have a section in device manager called, Argyll LibUSB-1.0A devices. is there a solution for this?

This just means that the argyll driver isn't installed yet which is the issue. I'm not near an XP machine to get you more instructions on how to override the driver choice but I'd guess going the "Have disk" route if you see one.

John

post #673 of 4098 Old 05-23-2012, 02:04 PM

excellent , thanks
that seems to have worked do i need to do anyting with these lookup tables?
post #674 of 4098 Old 05-24-2012, 12:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

excellent , thanks
that seems to have worked do i need to do anyting with these lookup tables?

Just run the spyd4en program in the Tools directory from a command line, that should set everything up.

John

post #675 of 4098 Old 05-25-2012, 01:19 AM

When i run the spyd4en program from the command line, another black box opens up for a split second and then disperse. The command line then just returns to it's normal prompt. Dose this mean that it has done what it needs to? if so is there any way of checking?

Thanks for all your help, i don't mean to be a pain.

Rob
post #676 of 4098 Old 05-25-2012, 02:23 PM

Ok - total newb here and going to ask questions that might seem stupid. I have a samsung un55d8000 and want a DIY calibration so I can learn. I've been reading and figured I'd like to get the xrite eodis3 i1display pro and use it along with hcfr. I'm reading the supported colorimeters for hcfr and it lists i1display 3 but not the pro, can I assume it's the same thing? If it is compatible with hcfr, will hcfr be sufficient enough for me to calibrate my tv? I want to learn before I spend money on calman and figured since hcfr was free it would be a good start. Thanks!
post #677 of 4098 Old 05-25-2012, 03:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:

When i run the spyd4en program from the command line, another black box opens up for a split second and then disperse. The command line then just returns to it's normal prompt. Dose this mean that it has done what it needs to? if so is there any way of checking?

Thanks for all your help, i don't mean to be a pain.

Rob

Check to see if the tables show up in HCFR, I had 7 tables when I had the Spyder 4 Elite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stryderlis View Post

Ok - total newb here and going to ask questions that might seem stupid. I have a samsung un55d8000 and want a DIY calibration so I can learn. I've been reading and figured I'd like to get the xrite eodis3 i1display pro and use it along with hcfr. I'm reading the supported colorimeters for hcfr and it lists i1display 3 but not the pro, can I assume it's the same thing? If it is compatible with hcfr, will hcfr be sufficient enough for me to calibrate my tv? I want to learn before I spend money on calman and figured since hcfr was free it would be a good start. Thanks!

The i1 Display Pro and i1D3 are the same meter, the company that builds it calls it the Display Pro while other companies that sell the OEM version call it the Display 3. The i1Pro (not Display Pro) is a spectro and the Display Pro is a colorimeter. HCFR 3 is still working out some issues but John says we'll see a fixed release very soon.

Jason
post #678 of 4098 Old 05-25-2012, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp View Post

The i1 Display Pro and i1D3 are the same meter, the company that builds it calls it the Display Pro while other companies that sell the OEM version call it the Display 3. The i1Pro (not Display Pro) is a spectro and the Display Pro is a colorimeter. HCFR 3 is still working out some issues but John says we'll see a fixed release very soon.

Jason

Thanks for the info! I'm assuming I can prob use xrite's software until HCFR is fixed.
post #679 of 4098 Old 05-25-2012, 10:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Thanks for the info! I'm assuming I can prob use xrite's software until HCFR is fixed.

I would think so but I have no personal experience with their software so I cannot say for certain or make any claims to its functionality.

Jason
post #680 of 4098 Old 05-29-2012, 11:31 AM

Liked: 14
Will the $60 "ColorMunki Create" work? it shares the same hardware as the i1d2 and it works perfectly in Argyll
post #681 of 4098 Old 05-29-2012, 12:21 PM

If it works with Argyll, it should have no problem working with HCFR 3.x. But if you are thinking about buying a meter, I'd suggest you take a look at the excellent reviews/tests of different meters conducted by Dry Creek Photo and referenced in earlier posts in this thread.
post #682 of 4098 Old 05-29-2012, 12:29 PM

Quote:

Just in case there was some confusion, there are really no significant issues in using the i1D3 (i1 Display Pro) with HCFR 3.0.4.0. The issues that were mentioned are with the i1Pro Spectrophotometer, not the i1D3 colorimeter. I'm using an i1D3 and am thrilled with the improvements in HCFR. 3.0.4.0 (or technically the newest version of Argyll drivers included with 3.0.4.0) has resolved some issues in earlier versions only when measuring a plasma TV (I have a Samsung PN58B860), so you can be comfortable with how it is working.

I also have used the i1Profiler software that comes with the i1D3 (from x-Rite), and it is only for profiling a computer monitor, not for calibrating a tv or projector. But you don't have to wait for any new version of HCFR for the i1D3, anyway.
post #683 of 4098 Old 05-29-2012, 12:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I was under the impression that there were still some small 'fixes' / improvements in the works for the i1D3 but it's certainly possible I misread.

Jason
post #684 of 4098 Old 05-29-2012, 05:34 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:

If it works with Argyll, it should have no problem working with HCFR 3.x.

a $60 i1d2 will be perfect for my needs

yes, the "ColorMunki Create" fully works in Argyll: http://www.argyllcms.com/doc/instruments.html#i1d
Quote:

The ColorMunki Create colorimeter can also be used, and will appear as an i1Display2 colorimeter.

but not a single word about it for HCFR 3.x =/
post #685 of 4098 Old 05-29-2012, 10:34 PM

Quote:

Just in case there was some confusion, there are really no significant issues in using the i1D3 (i1 Display Pro) with HCFR 3.0.4.0. The issues that were mentioned are with the i1Pro Spectrophotometer, not the i1D3 colorimeter. I'm using an i1D3 and am thrilled with the improvements in HCFR. 3.0.4.0 (or technically the newest version of Argyll drivers included with 3.0.4.0) has resolved some issues in earlier versions only when measuring a plasma TV (I have a Samsung PN58B860), so you can be comfortable with how it is working.

I also have used the i1Profiler software that comes with the i1D3 (from x-Rite), and it is only for profiling a computer monitor, not for calibrating a tv or projector. But you don't have to wait for any new version of HCFR for the i1D3, anyway.

Shall i1Display Pro use its own driver or force Window XP device manager to load the i1 driver comes with HCFR?
post #686 of 4098 Old 05-29-2012, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAd View Post

In device manager you should have a section called Argyll LibUSB-1.0A devices, with the device with (Argyll) after the name. If you don't see that then HCFR won't load the driver properly.

John

It does not appear with a section called Argyll LibUSB-1.0A devices in device manager.....
post #687 of 4098 Old 05-30-2012, 04:05 AM

Liked: 20
must be replaced by a native driverч-x-rite Argyll LibUSB-1.0A!
post #688 of 4098 Old 05-30-2012, 05:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerd View Post

Shall i1Display Pro use its own driver or force Window XP device manager to load the i1 driver comes with HCFR?

It should use its own driver, the reference to USB-1.0A devices is for the spyder 4 (and most other meters) but not the i1Display Pro

John

post #689 of 4098 Old 05-30-2012, 05:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeperry View Post

but not a single word about it for HCFR 3.x =/

It should work fine as it's really just an i1d2 with a paint job, we've got better things to do than keep up with x-rite's increasingly bizzare product naming

John

post #690 of 4098 Old 05-30-2012, 06:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp View Post

I was under the impression that there were still some small 'fixes' / improvements in the works for the i1D3 but it's certainly possible I misread.

There seems to still be issues that some people get with plasmas, no fix is currently in the works for this but I do need to let Graeme know at some point.

John

Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page