HCFR - Open source projector and display calibration software - Page 235 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 740Likes

Old 01-22-2016, 08:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Chan View Post
Same here, but I was too embarrassed to say that.
It's because of the grouping (XYZ, xyY, xyz, etc.)

Well to be honest, I think that column of values is the least valuable feature in HCFR. As I remember it is a legacy of the orginal HCFR. Why not have a settings page where you select which values or color space to have visible and hide the rest. That would save some space too to make some information labels for the values that are displayed. Or have a popup dialog that could display them in those rare instances where they might be of interest. My two cents...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2016, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 806 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barsk View Post
Why not have a settings page where you select which values or color space to have visible and hide the rest. That would save some space too to make some information labels for the values that are displayed.
There is already a selection of colour space for the grid. Maybe the same selection can be applied to the Current Selection.
Old 01-22-2016, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 1310 Post(s)
Liked: 1035
Quote:

I did not test the changes related to the update function (since none is currently available).
You can test the new update/install function now, I've uploaded a new build that should enable grid updates in all pages except contrast. I haven't tested it thoroughly yet.
Old 01-22-2016, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoyd View Post
You can test the new update/install function now, I've uploaded a new build that should enable grid updates in all pages except contrast. I haven't tested it thoroughly yet.
Thanks zoyd. The update/install function works quite well, except when there are unsaved runs, in which case the dialog box for saving the file may "compete for focus".

I haven't tried the new grid update feature on the machine that had problems with it. However, it seems to result in a lot of flickering of the whole screen, not just the column being updated (like before).
Old 01-23-2016, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks zoyd. The update/install function works quite well, except when there are unsaved runs, in which case the dialog box for saving the file may "compete for focus".

I haven't tried the new grid update feature on the machine that had problems with it. However, it seems to result in a lot of flickering of the whole screen, not just the column being updated (like before).
New update available, fixes flickering during continuous measures and function hotkeys for standard sweep sequences.
Old 01-23-2016, 09:25 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi,

I'm new to this forum and hope I put my question to the right forum.

I am trying to use the HCFR tool (3.3.9) in combination with a Spyder 5 sensor under Windows 10, but I have run into problems.

I have figured out, that I should replace the original driver with the Argyll driver, which is located in the HCFR Calibration\Drivers subdirectory. But when I point Windows to this location, I receive an error message (translated: "Found driver software for device Spyder5 (Argyll), but there was an error during installation. The hash value for the file in the catalog file was not found. The file is probably damaged or has been changed without authorization.")

Can anyone help me here?
Old 01-23-2016, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Old 01-23-2016, 02:06 PM

Thank you!
Old 01-25-2016, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Update of 3.3.9 release 1/25/16
+ Added automatically generated sync patterns for Chromecast and GDI refresh mode calibration.
VBB and Barsk like this.
Old 01-25-2016, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Scott,

I'm getting a 404 error from sourceforge when trying to download the newest 3.3.9 version. No problem with 3.3.8.

Larry
Old 01-25-2016, 09:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryInRI View Post
I'm getting a 404 error from sourceforge when trying to download the newest 3.3.9 version. No problem with 3.3.8.
You can get the latest by using the Update feature within HCFR (>3.3.6)
Old 01-25-2016, 09:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Quote:
You can get the latest by using the Update feature within HCFR (>3.3.6)
Thanks but I was only pointing out a download problem with the link that Scott uses for his updates.

Larry
Old 01-26-2016, 12:30 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Seems to work perfectly! I had great use of this functionality last night on my PJ that behaves very differently in different intensity levels in blue. So jumping back and forth between saturation pages and primaries/secondaries trying trying to find a compromise was much quicker now.
Quote:
Update of 3.3.9 release 1/25/16
+ Added automatically generated sync patterns for Chromecast and GDI refresh mode calibration.
Haven't had time to test yet, but THANKS!
Great work Zoyd!

I had some random crashes though. I did not find any particular pattern to the cause, but if I do I'll come back.

Last edited by Barsk; 01-26-2016 at 12:33 AM.
Old 01-26-2016, 04:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryInRI View Post
Scott,

Larry
Thanks Larry, reported to sourceforge. Use in-app download for the moment.

edit: looks like the sourceforge link is working again as of early this afternoon.

Last edited by zoyd; 01-26-2016 at 10:33 AM.
Old 01-26-2016, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barsk View Post
I had some random crashes though. I did not find any particular pattern to the cause, but if I do I'll come back.
Please do report anything that you can reproduce, it's very stable on my set-up.
Old 01-27-2016, 03:48 AM

i1 Display Pro read and show x,y,Y in realtime?

Hello, I have a Sony G420 CRT monitor (and other flat panel monitors). The CRT has a large variety of fine internal adjustments that can be made with the proprietary Sony DAS (or WinDAS) program. Settings are made by moving sliders on a screen. However, with each test screen are instructions to "Adjust for x=0.313, y=0.329"---or other x,y,and Y values. The point is that I need to be able to know/ascertain the realtime x,y,Y levels on the display to make these slider adjustments. I’ve seen profiling software that will use your colorimeter (such as the “i1 Display Pro”) to show the current x,y,Y values, but with the stipulation that RGB are all at 255. Can anyone confirm to me if the “i1 Display Pro”, with appropriate software, will show <realtime> readings for x,y,Y—even at low IRE? This might determine if I will buy the Display Pro colorimeter in an auction which finishes in 45 minutes(?). I'm probably posting this too late to get a reply in time. But I think many of you veterans probably know the answer to this basic question. If the answer is "yes", is HCFR a software option that can show those realtime x,y,Y values (read from the Display Pro), at various light levels? If not, what software would do that? Thank you very much for your time!
Old 01-27-2016, 04:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Old 01-27-2016, 04:22 AM

That is wonderful news. Thank you, indeed. I appreciate it. In will go my bid. And I'll probably be back in a matter of days with more questions. --After doing my homework in this thread, of course!
Old 01-27-2016, 06:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked: 790
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Greg View Post
This might determine if I will buy the Display Pro colorimeter in an auction which finishes in 45 minutes(?).
I would be cautious about any meter that has been used. Depending on how well it's been treated, it may no longer be accurate.
They go on sale here fairly often:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...splay_Pro.html
Michael

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
Downloadable FREE demo discs: Demonstration Blu-Ray Discs (Independently Authored)
Welcome to AVS - Get out while you still can!
Old 01-27-2016, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
New update available, fixes flickering during continuous measures and function hotkeys for standard sweep sequences.
There's seems to be a minor error in calculating the average gamma. It's low by about 0.01 when gamma=2.2, but there's no error when gamma=2.1.
Old 01-27-2016, 04:55 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Been wandering if it would be beneficial to remove my AVR out the signal supply chain. I noticed an affect on grayscale accuracy that causes green push in shadows after calibration. I've also noticed this, if more than one device is on while connected to the AVR.

Are there drawbacks to removing anything out of your supply chain?
Old 01-27-2016, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisplayCalNoob View Post
Been wandering if it would be beneficial to remove my AVR out the signal supply chain. I noticed an affect on grayscale accuracy that causes green push in shadows after calibration. I've also noticed this, if more than one device is on while connected to the AVR.

Are there drawbacks to removing anything out of your supply chain?
If your AVR is in the supply chain when you play the movies, then it should kept there when you calibrate.
Old 01-27-2016, 05:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Thank you for the updates to HCFR. I am new to calibration and it's all a steep learning curve ATM. I have an i1Display Pro colorimeter and I am currently testing a W-LED VA panel and attempting to evaluate it's performance. however I am running into problems. I only have the one display so want to have the colours shown on the screen while seeing the results so I have the GDI (no background) selected which seems to accomplish this rather than having the screen go black with a colour patch in the centre of the screen.

I am getting problems when I begin a test such as primaries, grey scale or grey scale & colours. First it shows a black rectangle for quite some time, approx 8 seconds and then it can do two different things. It either proceeds and moves through the test correctly cycling through the different colours. However all too frequently after the black rectangle, it disappears but still updates the results reading the meter but not displaying the test colours and producing high dE errors as a result. It will also update the graphs if a graph tab is selected while misreading the meter data. I can press ESC to stop the test and retry but it can take many retries to get the colours to display and results to be read accurately.

Is there a cause to this?
Old 01-27-2016, 08:08 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
If your AVR is in the supply chain when you play the movies, then it should kept there when you calibrate.
What bothers me is knowing that my avr hdmi in/out if tested may show it way off in limited or full range grayscale.
Old 01-27-2016, 09:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisplayCalNoob View Post
What bothers me is knowing that my avr hdmi in/out if tested may show it way off in limited or full range grayscale.
The whole concept of "system level calibration" is to ensure end-to-end accuracy. Part of the system may not be working correctly on its own, but unless that part has its own calibration/adjustment, you will have to rely on the display calibration to compensate for it.
Yes, indeed it's a case of "two wrongs make a right".

Last edited by Dominic Chan; 01-28-2016 at 04:38 AM.
Old 01-28-2016, 03:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Dwarf View Post
I am getting problems when I begin a test such as primaries, grey scale or grey scale & colours. First it shows a black rectangle for quite some time, approx 8 seconds
The darker the patch, the longer it takes the display pro to read it, 8 seconds is normal for black.

Quote:
However all too frequently after the black rectangle, it disappears but still updates the results reading the meter but not displaying the test colours and producing high dE errors as a result.
The pattern should stay in the foreground if you don't touch anything but trying to run the program on the same display as the fullscreen pattern is difficult. There is a detachable test color window that could be used instead which might make things a bit easier in this set-up but I'd have to add an option to turn off the full screen one. Alternatively you could use the madTPG generator which can be set to any window size.
Old 01-28-2016, 04:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
There is a detachable test color window that could be used instead which might make things a bit easier in this set-up but I'd have to add an option to turn off the full screen one.
Wouldn't selecting the DVD/Manual Pattern Generator turn off the full screen window already? Of course one will have to select the columns one by one (which works well in the latest version).

Last edited by Dominic Chan; 01-28-2016 at 05:01 AM.
Old 01-28-2016, 05:48 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
The darker the patch, the longer it takes the display pro to read it, 8 seconds is normal for black.
Thanks for answering that. However that is not really a problem, it was only a point of note about what is happening.

Quote:
The pattern should stay in the foreground if you don't touch anything but trying to run the program on the same display as the fullscreen pattern is difficult. There is a detachable test color window that could be used instead which might make things a bit easier in this set-up but I'd have to add an option to turn off the full screen one. Alternatively you could use the madTPG generator which can be set to any window size.
I don't want or need the test pattern on full screen pattern, what I want is the test colours displayed on top of the main window which sometimes it does but many times it does not.
I don't think HCFR is working the way it should. Sometimes the colour test rectangle shows on top of the View and Information windows how it should while doing a measure, but many times it does not show while testing. This is the problem.

I just tested it once more and it did it again. The View window flickers while it is updating the results but with no colour rectangle so that the dE is very high, 23 to 75. See attachment of a screenshot. First it shows the black rectangle in the centre of the screen and then it very briefly shows a grey rectangle and then the rectangle disappears. This is while doing a greyscale and colour measure test. Most of the test colours do not display. BTW i AM USING Win 7 SP1 x64

Is there any information that I can supply to help solve this? It looks like a bug to me because it is not behaving consistently, sometimes working and many times not working.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HCFR.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	190.9 KB
ID:	1215658   Click image for larger version

Name:	HCFR2.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	198.4 KB
ID:	1215666  

Last edited by Red_Dwarf; 01-28-2016 at 05:54 AM. Reason: Added another test image
Old 01-28-2016, 07:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I can't reproduce this problem, the pattern never loses focus (foreground). Can you make the move the main program over to the side and see if the pattern is still displaying in the background? Some other program or windows desktop setting may be stealing focus. Also, what happens if you check GDI instead of GDI(no background), does the pattern consistently stay on top during the sweeps?
Old 01-28-2016, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I can't reproduce this problem, the pattern never loses focus (foreground).
I have 2-screen set-up, but I still have to open the Test Color window and drag it to the screen-under-test; that is the only way to get the Test Pattern window to display full screen. In doing so, I do notice that sometimes the Test Color window would unexpectedly show "on top" of the Test Pattern window, even though most of the time the Test Pattern window has the focus.

Unfortunately it's one of those things that cannot be repeated consistently.

[EDIT: Perhaps I should turn off the option "Display test color during measures"]

Last edited by Dominic Chan; 01-28-2016 at 10:25 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement