HCFR - Open source projector and display calibration software - Page 241 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 741Likes

Old 03-19-2016, 04:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Chan View Post
The clipping occurs above 235, so they are in the whiter-than-white region even if the individual colours clip at different levels.
Do I have to worry about clipping above 235 with regards to computer or console games? Aren't those encoded in RGB 0-255?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2016, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 806 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrens View Post
Do I have to worry about clipping above 235 with regards to computer or console games? Aren't those encoded in RGB 0-255?
You need to use a completely different setting when you use it with another device that has a different range (full vs limited), and indeed you would want to avoid clipping within the entire range.

Last edited by Dominic Chan; 03-19-2016 at 05:24 PM.
Old 03-20-2016, 09:15 AM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 38
When calibrating a FALD screen, what is the right way of doing it?

I've done it using local dimming = off, using APL patterns. Verifying it against the screen with local dimming = on with APL patterns shows that it is technically out of calibration, but the window size changes the calibration, too, so I'm not sure how you would do it 'accurately' with dimming on.

Thanks!
Old 03-21-2016, 08:11 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by traykov77 View Post
Hi, I just wonder about ITU-R BT.1886 settings. In the moment my calibration is made with:
ITU-R BT.1886 2.4 Effective
50% Input offset
The average gamma at the moment is 2.35.
The calibration is made for watching movies at night in dark room with led lamp on the back wall to the tv.
Is this best setting or I should stay with default ITU-R BT.1886, 0 Absolute , 100% Input offset?
Unfortunately, I can't take a look at your uploaded project (I'm on Mac ), but I like the near 2.4 gamma in a dark room unless all the dark details are visible.
Also, you can take a look at this: MadVR - ArgyllCMS
traykov77 likes this.

MSI GE60(i73630QM,16GB,IntelHD4000(v10.18.10.4276)+GeF orceGT650m(2GB,v355.98)+muxless,1920x1080@60Hz,Ple xtor M5M 256GB SSD,Win8.1x64+MPC-HCx64+LAV+MadVR)+Yamaha RX-830+LG 55LD650(1080p@24/25/30/60Hz)
Old 03-21-2016, 11:25 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 562 Post(s)
Liked: 437
I'm trying to test P3 color space to see how much % my set can provide. I know how to set HCFR for P3, but I don't know to set it to report %.

Thanks.

Current gear: UN65JS8500 (Main TV), P65-C1(Testing), M40-C2(Guestroom TV), UBD-K8500, I1D3(Using HCFR)
Retired: TH-50PX80U, M55-C2 (Returned)
Duds: 2x XBR-65X930D(bent frame, 3D unwatchable and clouding), P65-C1(Yellow banding, dead pixels), UN65JS8500(blue bleed) UN60J6200 (Returned, dead pixels), M65-C1(3x Defective units, all dead pixel and yellow banding)
Old 03-22-2016, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1151 Post(s)
Liked: 808
I did some work on a friend's Sharp Aquos last night. Though the adjustment options are limited, I was able to improve the picture quite a lot. However, no matter what I tried (including turning the backlight all the way down [there's no "off"]), I still ended up with a sinusoidal gamma:

Besides LMAO, which I've been doing since, are there any adjustments I can try next week to flatten that a bit?

Michael

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
Downloadable FREE demo discs: Demonstration Blu-Ray Discs (Independently Authored)
Welcome to AVS - Get out while you still can!
Old 03-22-2016, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastButNotLeast View Post
However, no matter what I tried (including turning the backlight all the way down [there's no "off"]), I still ended up with a sinusoidal gamma:
The backlight of LCD TVs have very little effect on the gamma. You can't turn the backlight off as that would make the picture essentially invisible.

Assuming you have already tried selecting different preset values of gamma, the only effective way of adjusting gamma is the 10-point control.
Old 03-22-2016, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

There is not only no 10 point control, but no other options for gamma.
I guess I'll just be amused by it and do what I can with the primary and secondary colors.
He's already happier with the picture, so it won't be a total waste.

Thanks.
Michael

Downloadable FREE demo discs: Demonstration Blu-Ray Discs (Independently Authored)
Old 03-22-2016, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
There is not only no 10 point control, but no other options for gamma.
Some TVs actually use the term "Brightness" or something similar, to mean "Gamma". In a way that's how a "layman" would describe the effect gamma has on the picture. Of course there's also the Brightness control that's used to adjust the black point.

Last edited by Dominic Chan; 03-22-2016 at 02:17 PM.
Old 03-23-2016, 04:34 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
He's already happier with the picture, so it won't be a total waste.
Well, that previously posted measured gamma curve of yours is completely wrong

MSI GE60(i73630QM,16GB,IntelHD4000(v10.18.10.4276)+GeF orceGT650m(2GB,v355.98)+muxless,1920x1080@60Hz,Ple xtor M5M 256GB SSD,Win8.1x64+MPC-HCx64+LAV+MadVR)+Yamaha RX-830+LG 55LD650(1080p@24/25/30/60Hz)
Old 03-23-2016, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chros73 View Post
Well, that previously posted measured gamma curve of yours is completely wrong
The question is how to make it right.
Old 03-24-2016, 12:19 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Use DisplayCal to create a 3D LUT, then use MadVR with Windows media player classic to load the 3D LUT and use it with playback. You will need to buy a colorimeter such as the ColorMunki Display, although it seems you already have one if you are using HCFR.

The 3D LUT will adjust the video output from your computer to adjust your display properties such as that for the gamma profile.

Quote:
The question is how to make it right.
Old 03-24-2016, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Which will do him absolutely no good when he's watching tv.
I'm running mine through an HTPC, he's not, but he'll be happy with what I can do with what he has.
He already is, and I've got a few more tweaks in mind.
I'll post the before and after when I'm done.
Michael

Old 03-29-2016, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Finished with the Aquos. Gamma, obviously, is unchanged. Other results, considering only options were hue and saturation of the primary and secondary colors, satisfactory.

before grayscale:

after grayscale:

before primary and secondaries:

after primary and secondaries:

before cie (note color temp was off the [temperature] chart):

after cie:

And now, back to my Samsung Plasma.

Michael

Old 03-29-2016, 12:45 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi...
I been reading almost for a while to how to use HCFR (last version) and after all I think I got a good result using it for calibrate my Samsung UHD TV 40JU7000 I bought a meter i1Display Pro for working on it...
And I been working with the with the AVS709 .mkv patterns playing form my HDD USB 3.0 Media player plugged on the USB TV port...
And here is my first question, It this a right source to reproduce.mkv disc patterns USB tv por media player? The reason I choose it is because all my HD 1080p contents I use is from the HDD movies or tv shows...
And my second question is: I need to profile the i1Dispkay pro before using HCFR to calibrate it?

I choose on HCFR the Display Refresh LCD WLED LG Samsung and for the gamma 2.22 I choose the w with black compensation...

I used the full patterns Windows for the grays scale and the Primaries and secondaries color saturation...

@Zoyd Thank you really much for the amazing support and software open source you been developing!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1459280258352.png
Views:	68
Size:	676.0 KB
ID:	1346634   Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1459280289785.png
Views:	70
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	1346642   Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1459280305811.png
Views:	69
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	1346650   Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1459280318883.png
Views:	77
Size:	667.3 KB
ID:	1346666   Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1459280691195.png
Views:	67
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	1346746  

Old 03-30-2016, 05:25 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, I have problems with calibrating LG 27mt93s with HCFR. The tv is white led with IPS. I choose WLED IPS LG Samsung correction on HCFR.
I have settings in tv for 10pt white balance and 3pt, but when I measuring gamma and making corrections for R, G, B high and low or 10 points the measured value on live measuring is different when I exit from the menu of the tv. So I set in preferences on HCFR gamma power law 2.2. and made corrections , delta E is 0.2-0.6 which is ok, gamma curve - is in sinusoidal shape no matter what settings for RGB I choose. When I adjust the colors I have no problems, the settings on live measuring are the same when I exit the menu on tv.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Color Measures lg rgblow 2.2_29.03.2016.zip (39.2 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by traykov77; 03-30-2016 at 08:06 AM.
Old 03-30-2016, 05:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 1310 Post(s)
Liked: 1035
Quote:
Originally Posted by L30Z3N View Post
Hi...
I been reading almost for a while to how to use HCFR (last version) and after all I think I got a good result using it for calibrate my Samsung UHD TV 40JU7000 I bought a meter i1Display Pro for working on it...
And I been working with the with the AVS709 .mkv patterns playing form my HDD USB 3.0 Media player plugged on the USB TV port...
And here is my first question, It this a right source to reproduce.mkv disc patterns USB tv por media player? The reason I choose it is because all my HD 1080p contents I use is from the HDD movies or tv shows...
yes that's fine if you are using the same media player to watch content.

Quote:
And my second question is: I need to profile the i1Dispkay pro before using HCFR to calibrate it?
If you have a spectrometer it's usually better to use a profile based on the spectrometer rather than the generic panel corrections.
Old 04-01-2016, 04:24 PM

Thank you really much @Zoyd for your answer...

No, unfortunately I don't have an spectrometer

Now I'm been working in an other calibration setup looking for a closer Near Black from the 0,035cd/m2 - 120cd/m2 to 0,027cd/m2 - 91cd/m2 at the moment... Yes is not a big difference but seem to be good too specially for a night vision... The good thing is I don't lose the contrast ratio stay stable on 3415:1 but it more difficult for colors saturation correction.. Almost finish.... And Then I will try to how it's look like...

Thanks Zoyd and all of you guys ford is discussed on this forum, it is really helpful...
Old 04-03-2016, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 719 Post(s)
Liked: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by dudeeg View Post
Hello there,

First of all, thanks for keeping maintained this great software. I'm just trying to calibrate my LCD monitor and plasma tv time to time on 'hobby' level, so a shareware software is really not for me

I have an i1Display2 since ~4 years. I know that this device is far from being perfect in terms of precision and stability over time. Yet, I'd like to know if it is still possible in a way to use it? So, I have some questions:

- I've read here, and other sites as well that it is somehow possible to calibrate colorimeters to a better reference. I have an access to an i1DisplayPro. Is it possible to make the i1D2 back on track for a while with this device?

- So far what I've understood, I'll need to create a correction matrix, and provide this to HCFR when calibrating next time with i1D2..? Is there a description available somewhere how to do this procedure?

- I have a Panasonic VT60(VT65) plasma TV, which is famous for its high precision, and high configurability.
Do you think it makes sense to try to do the job with the i1D2?

- If I am not mistaken, this colorimeter referencing should be done on a certain display. I am not sure if I can borrow the DisplayPro from the guy who has it. So I might need to go to his place, and compare the two devices on an LCD screen. Can this work, or the result would not give me an i1D2 that could be used on my plasma screen?

I think you know get the point what I'd like to achieve. If you could give me advice how to go on, that would be really great!

Thanks!
Gabor
Quote:
Originally Posted by orion2001 View Post
This is an excellent guide I've found regarding this:
http://avforum.no/forum/attachments/...tion_files.pdf
@zoyd - Perhaps it might be good to include a link to this guide in the OP?
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryInRI View Post
I've been posting this method periodically over the past few years:

For HCFR, profiling a colorimeter to the i1 Pro spectrometer is a simple matter. I'll use the i1 Display 3 as an example. The object is to create a correction color matrix which is to be used with the LT D3. It's explained, not too clearly, in the HCFR Help Menu/Advanced/XYZ Adjustment/Compute section.

1. Set up a calibration DVD to display the primary (red, green, blue) colors and white windows sequentially.
Use a 10% window at 100% amplitude.

2. Put both the D3 and the Pro on the TV panel so the meter sensor holes are vertically in the center of the window and right next to one another. (Or you can do each meter sequentially so that both are reading the same area.)

3. Set up HCFR for the i1 Pro meter and do a normal sensor black level calibration (Measures/Sensor/Calibrate...)

4. Run the primary colors and the white windows reading the data with HCFR set up for the i1 Pro meter. Save the run as something like "pro meter calibration.chc"

5. Set up HCFR for the D3 meter and do a normal sensor black level an 80% white level sync calibration (Measures/Sensor/Calibrate...)

6. Run the primary colors and the white windows reading the data with HCFR set up for the D3 meter. Save the run as something like "D3 meter calibration.chc"

7. Display the i1 Pro results on your computer and check the "Reference measure" box in the upper right hand corner.

8. Display the D3 results and click Advanced/Meter correction file/Create using existing reference measures.

9. Display the D3 results and click Advanced/Meter correction file/Save meter correction file... Save it with a name like "D3 calibration matrix 08-17-2014"

Larry

I ran across this exchange when trying to answer the following question:

My projection setup was recently calibrated by a professional using very accurate gear.

I'd like to take a reading using HCFR and my Color Munki and consider this reading to be 100% accurate for color temp, color space, and gamma.

It seems like the procedure quoted above is actually something a bit different.

Is there a way, once one has done a reading in HCFR to say "Save this as the correct baseline for temp, CMS, and gamma"?

Current theater & gear: "Nathan's Theater in Search of....".
Old 04-03-2016, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post
I ran across this exchange when trying to answer the following question:

My projection setup was recently calibrated by a professional using very accurate gear.

I'd like to take a reading using HCFR and my Color Munki and consider this reading to be 100% accurate for color temp, color space, and gamma.

It seems like the procedure quoted above is actually something a bit different.

Is there a way, once one has done a reading in HCFR to say "Save this as the correct baseline for temp, CMS, and gamma"?
Not exactly but yes you can use your calibrated setup to transfer the calibration to your probe. For the reference meter (i1pro) in Larry's procedure use the simulated probe option with the sensor parameter set-up shown below. Run the primaries sweep and you'll get perfect numbers. Now measure the display primaries with your colormunki and create the meter correction file.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-04-03 at 8.21.34 PM.png
Views:	61
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	1356954  
nathan_h and Dominic Chan like this.
Old 04-03-2016, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 719 Post(s)
Liked: 360
Thanks!

Current theater & gear: "Nathan's Theater in Search of....".
Old 04-03-2016, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post
Thanks!
Sorry, I left out a step. The simulated probe will generate 100 cd/m^2 white which probably won't match your actual white level. So you will need to scale all the simulated XYZ values by the ratio of display white / 100. You can do this by clicking "XYZ" in the Display box and then clicking "editable data" in the view box. Copy the values to a spreadsheet and do the multiplication by that ratio and then paste them back in.
Old 04-03-2016, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoyd View Post
The simulated probe will generate 100 cd/m^2 white which probably won't match your actual white level. So you will need to scale all the simulated XYZ values by the ratio of display white / 100.
Feature request - have HCFR do all the scaling when the user edit the 100% white
Old 04-04-2016, 03:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Feature request - have HCFR do all the scaling when the user edit the 100% white
That could be a bit messy, what if the user only wants to alter the white value? I suppose it could have a pop-up to ask if the scaling should be applied to all measurements.
NxNW likes this.
Old 04-04-2016, 04:39 AM

Could I ask on the forum for someone with the same Panel and the same rev. of the meter (i1D3) for get the correction matrix?

I hope to much?

Old 04-04-2016, 02:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
i1pro hiRes - wrong spectrum

Hi guys.

I've just tried to measure ambient light spectrum with my i1 pro using HCFR. And here is a gotcha: when trying to use "high resolution mode", the spectrum differs from normal mode. High resolution spectrum looks compressed, so that wavelenghts displayed are 10% shorter than they actually are.

This is most probably due to the fact that bandwidth of a spectrum sample in high resolution mode is 10/3 nm, while HCFR treats it as exactly 3nm. I have narrowed it down to Tools/ArgyllMeterWrapper, which rounds bandwidth to integer values in ArgyllMeterWrapper.cpp and SpectralSample.cpp.

Sadly, I am unable to rebuild the software and test the fix.
Old 04-04-2016, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Old 04-05-2016, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by flicker581 View Post

Sadly, I am unable to rebuild the software and test the fix.
You can download a new build here for testing. Fixed the wavelength scale for spectral plots and added a scaling option when editing the white point. This version also has some updates to how the ST.2084 EOTF is handled as well as adding a color space option "P3 within BT.2020" gamut. This works much the same way as the other pseudo-color spaces by creating patterns that are a subset of a wider gamut.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-04-05 at 6.52.40 PM.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	1360658  
Old 04-06-2016, 05:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 21
If you haven't already seen it, this article might be of interest:

http://www.argyllcms.com/doc/i1proHiRes.html
Old 04-06-2016, 11:04 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoyd View Post
You can download a new build here for testing. Fixed the wavelength scale for spectral plots and added a scaling option when editing the white point.
The spectrum seemes to be very adequate now. I don't understand where the scaling option is, and if it may be useful for my case, though. Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmonier View Post
If you haven't already seen it, this article might be of interest:
I am aware of possible problems with high resolution, but it gives much more details when measuring light sources. Especially, the spectrum looks better in HCFR, where it is linearly approximated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement