HCFR - Open source projector and display calibration software - Page 259 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 736Likes
post #7741 of 7755 Old 07-26-2016, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 90
When using the builtin automatc image generator, what is the recommended image area %, APL level % and Pattern Intensity % values for a Samsung 64F8500 plasma?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7742 of 7755 Old 07-26-2016, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 1298 Post(s)
Liked: 1032
Leave intensity at 100% and I use 5% pattern size with 10% APL. This should give a black level consistent with average viewing levels. Try BT.1886 set to 2.4 relative gamma and 50% offset.
rickardl likes this.
post #7743 of 7755 Old 07-26-2016, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoyd View Post
Leave intensity at 100% and I use 5% pattern size with 10% APL. This should give a black level consistent with average viewing levels. Try BT.1886 set to 2.4 relative gamma and 50% offset.
zoyd,
Why is the Y Target for 0% white always left blank in the grid? The graphs show it as 0.

Last edited by Dominic Chan; 07-27-2016 at 12:36 AM.
post #7744 of 7755 Old 07-28-2016, 07:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Zoyd,

After opening some older calibration files in 3.4.2, I found some bugs not present in 3.4.1:

Selecting BT 1886, in near-black graph the target luminance goes to zero instead to actual black level for 0% white stimulus. Also noted by Dominic Chan in the above post, I now see.

Saturation shift graphs look completely different: in 3.4.1 starting with 0% shift (as a result of near-perfect grayscale) to max +/- 5% for fully saturated primaries/secondaries. On the other hand, 3.4.2 starts with +/- 3% (even for near-perfect grayscale!!) with fully saturated green and magenta going to 20-50%. The resulting dE graph of course is also different compared to the one in 3.4.1.

Sorry to bother you with this, but perhaps you missed my post #7657 about scaling ISO 12233?
post #7745 of 7755 Old 07-28-2016, 09:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi guys,

I know I must be missing something, so I apologize in advance. I've read the first few pages of this thread and checked out the Argyll docs to no avail.

I'm trying to calibrate my Sony VPW-VW665ES on a Stewart FireHawk screen with an i1 Display Pro. If possible, I'd like to calibrate for HDR video signals.

When I got to the Sensor/Argyll Meter Property Page, I'm presented with a number of choices, but I can't find any documentation on what the choices mean, or more importantly, which ones I should choose.

The Display Type is obvious, and in this case I've chosen "Projector".

What are the Reading Type and Observer Type options, and which should I set for each?

Since I'd like to calibrate to the image on the screen, I'm planning on setting the i1 on a tripod as close to the screen as possible, and in such a way that it can sample the signal without interference from its own shadow.

I'm planning on using the built-in signal generator, although I'm curious if there's any real advantage to using madTPG or the Chromecast. I can see where to choose the target screen, and GDI display mode seems to be the most straightforward. I know video levels are 16-235, but if I'm doing HDR, should I choose 0-255 (PC levels)?

Should I still be targeting a gamma of 2.2 for HDR?

Thanks in advance for the help! I'm looking forward to getting this thing dialed in.
post #7746 of 7755 Old Yesterday, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad303 View Post
What are the Reading Type and Observer Type options, and which should I set for each?
The ambient type is for measuring "ambient light" with the diffuser going over the meter aperture. The i1Display Pro automatically detects that.
Quote:
Since I'd like to calibrate to the image on the screen, I'm planning on setting the i1 on a tripod as close to the screen as possible, and in such a way that it can sample the signal without interference from its own shadow.
In principle this corresponds to the "Telephoto" mode. However, the i1Display Pro meter does not distinguish between "Telephoto" and "Display", so you can choose either.

Quote:
I'm planning on using the built-in signal generator, although I'm curious if there's any real advantage to using madTPG or the Chromecast.
Ideally, the calibration patterns should be displayed using the same device that you will be using when playing movies.
Quote:
Should I still be targeting a gamma of 2.2 for HDR?
Given a peak luminance of 10,000 cd/m^2 or more for HDR, I would expect the gamma to be much higher than 2.2 in the high end. HCFR provides 2 options for HDR - SMPTE 2084 HDR andBBC Hybrid Log-Gamma. You can see their respective EOTFs.

Last edited by Dominic Chan; Yesterday at 04:47 PM.
post #7747 of 7755 Old Yesterday, 09:28 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 1
hai all
post #7748 of 7755 Old Yesterday, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Chan View Post
zoyd,
Why is the Y Target for 0% white always left blank in the grid? The graphs show it as 0.
zoyd,

Just noticed a not entirely new problem with 3.4.1. In the GDI mode, the test patterns do not cover the entire screen on the 2nd display. In the past, my workaround was to open the "Test Colors" window and drag it to the 2nd display. This still works for 3.4.1, but it reverts to the partial screen for every run, meaning I have to reopen the Test Colors window before each run.
post #7749 of 7755 Unread Today, 04:40 AM

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
You can keep the card gamma tables active by unchecking "disable video card lut " in the pattern generator setup
That's awesome, thank you so much for this info!
post #7750 of 7755 Unread Today, 06:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slower View Post
Zoyd,

Saturation shift graphs look completely different: in 3.4.1 starting with 0% shift (as a result of near-perfect grayscale) to max +/- 5% for fully saturated primaries/secondaries. On the other hand, 3.4.2 starts with +/- 3% (even for near-perfect grayscale!!) with fully saturated green and magenta going to 20-50%. The resulting dE graph of course is also different compared to the one in 3.4.1.
Upload the chc file where you are seeing a difference between 3.4.1 and 3.4.2 sat shift graphs so I can take a look at it.

Quote:
zoyd,

Just noticed a not entirely new problem with 3.4.1. In the GDI mode, the test patterns do not cover the entire screen on the 2nd display. In the past, my workaround was to open the "Test Colors" window and drag it to the 2nd display. This still works for 3.4.1, but it reverts to the partial screen for every run, meaning I have to reopen the Test Colors window before each run.
Do you mean 3.4.2? What is the resolution of the screen you are trying to calibrate and what is the resolution of the screen you are running the program on? The pattern size HCFR produces should be exactly what windows tells it is the size of the screen. Can you tell if the pattern produced on the extended screen is either 1. The same resolution as the primary screen? or 2. Trying to maintain a 16x9 aspect ratio on a non-16x9 screen?
post #7751 of 7755 Unread Today, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Do you mean 3.4.2? What is the resolution of the screen you are trying to calibrate and what is the resolution of the screen you are running the program on?
Yes, I meant 3.4.2. The resolution is 1920x1080 for the projector, as well as the laptop itself.
Quote:
The pattern size HCFR produces should be exactly what windows tells it is the size of the screen.
It does that, but only after I display the Test Colors windows.
Quote:
Can you tell if the pattern produced on the extended screen is either 1. The same resolution as the primary screen? or 2. Trying to maintain a 16x9 aspect ratio on a non-16x9 screen?
I previously used a lower resolution laptop and thought that was the cause, but apparently not, as the same problem occurs with the new laptop which has the same resolution as the projector.

Last edited by Dominic Chan; Today at 07:45 AM.
post #7752 of 7755 Unread Today, 07:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

post #7753 of 7755 Unread Today, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
What is the resolution?
1080p (1920x1080)
post #7754 of 7755 Unread Today, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
zoyd,
Also, in 3.4.2, the dE is always 0 at 100% white when using simulated sensor, unlike in previous versions.
post #7755 of 7755 Unread Today, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

hmmm...I use that resolution set-up as well without issue. Is the aspect ratio maintained? Can you post a picture? Anyone else see similar?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration