HCFR - Open source projector and display calibration software - Page 268 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 848Likes
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2016, 09:49 PM
AVS Special Member
 
fafrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 8,214
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 2021
Quote:
Originally Posted by mo949 View Post
I was able to yes when doing continuous, but itvwouldnt write in any of the figures when I tried it that way. After stopping the meadurements the column would still be blank.

Ill just roll with the old version. Im still so novice im probably not missing anything with it. Thanks for your reply.
I seem to have found a bug in the new version as well.

After performing 21-pt, the version for 9 months ago allowed any luminance level to be selected prior to activating continuous read - this allowed realAtime adjustment of any of the 21-pts.

The latest version appears to assign 1 video level per 5% luminance, do 5% turns on a 1,1,1 window (17,17,17 in terms of video level), 10% turns on a 2,2,2 window (18,18,18), etc...
mo949 likes this.
fafrd is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-26-2016, 12:31 AM
Member
 
Quad5Ny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 150
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post
Just updated to the latest version of HFCR and broke out my meter to calibrate my new 65C6P - congrats to everyone who has contributed to the improvements over the past year!

I've got everything working using Bluray patterns but am struggling to get the internal pattern generation working on my OLED. The patterns come out fine but unless the screen is black, ABL seems to be greatly reducing the lumens output - is there a way to have HCFR generate a full black screen with only a 10% window in the center?
Measures > Generator > Configure

Make it look like this:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	10PercentGeneratorSettings.PNG
Views:	54
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	1789905  
Quad5Ny is offline  
Old 11-26-2016, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member
 
fafrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 8,214
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 2021
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quad5Ny View Post
Measures > Generator > Configure

Make it look like this:
Thanks.

Using GDI worked like a charm. The only issue I had is that I had to use 0-255 to get the levels coming out correctly. Is there some configuration that can be changed somewhere to use 16-235? I have Black Level set to Low and levels through my Bluray player are working out correctly...
fafrd is online now  
Old 11-26-2016, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member
 
fafrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 8,214
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 2021
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Chan View Post
Are you using the floating window (instead of GDI)? If so, this may be related to the bug that two others have reported.

See the link "floating window messed up" in the HCFR bug list I've compiled.
No, I was using GDI.

When others click the column for 5% or 10% and then hit continuous read, are they getting the proper 5% or 10% video output?
fafrd is online now  
Old 11-26-2016, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Mississauga, ON, Canada
Posts: 1,709
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1010 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post
When others click the column for 5% or 10% and then hit continuous read, are they getting the proper 5% or 10% video output?
I get 13 and 26 when set to 0-255, 27 and 38 when set to 16-235.
Dominic Chan is offline  
Old 11-26-2016, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member
 
fafrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 8,214
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 2021
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Chan View Post
I get 13 and 26 when set to 0-255, 27 and 38 when set to 16-235.
Thanks. I'll check again but pretty sure I got 1 and 2 for 5% and 10% columns and had to click on 65% to get 13 (the appropriate video level for 5% on 0-255).
fafrd is online now  
Old 11-26-2016, 04:37 PM
Member
 
flyt100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 88
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mo949 View Post
I just updated to the latest version and now I am having a crash. After measuring greyscale and primaries/secondaries, when I go to run a red saturation sweep I get an app crash. I am using the CC generator. I repeated this twice now, and it happens at same area. Any ideas?
I can confirm the same in post 7882...
mo949 likes this.
flyt100 is offline  
Old 11-26-2016, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mo949's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 4,715
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1085
Hsl level bars. Should i be using these for color correction since i see many ppl enabling them?
mo949 is offline  
Old 11-26-2016, 07:04 PM
Member
 
mick50008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 69
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have been using spyder elite 3 for awhile now.. I know it gets a bad rap, but it has done me well. I have been using the bundled software and doing semi manual calibrations on tv's via rgb sliders and gamma adjustments and use of the avs HD 709 mp42c patterns.

I decided I wanted to see how accurate these calibrations were acroos all IRE's and downloaded hcfr as I have just bought the sony 4k tv x700D. The spyder calibration was pretty, good but still had a few issues in the low end, as it appears the rgb adjustments i was doing in spyder was mainly based on the high end.

I decided to use hcfr to fine tune the calibration, although I did run in to a few issues. For some reason at some IRE's the point control on my tv would adjust the previous IRE and not the selected one. Eg. I would be showing the pattern for 30% and adjusting the 30% IRE via my 10 point gamma option on my television and nothing would change in the readings, but switching to gamma point 4 on my television would adjust for 3 in hcfr.

Does anyone know why this happens sometimes?

Cheers.


It took me awhile but this is the end result, and I think I am happy enough with it...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hcfr2.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	1791417   Click image for larger version

Name:	hcfr3.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	1791425   Click image for larger version

Name:	hcfr5.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	16.7 KB
ID:	1791433   Click image for larger version

Name:	hcfr6.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	1791441   Click image for larger version

Name:	hcfr33.PNG
Views:	22
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	1791449  

Click image for larger version

Name:	hcfr55.PNG
Views:	28
Size:	475.3 KB
ID:	1791457  
mick50008 is offline  
Old 11-26-2016, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Mississauga, ON, Canada
Posts: 1,709
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1010 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyt100 View Post
I can confirm the same in post 7882...
The symptoms are slightly different (Red, vs Red and Blue), but I have marked it in bugs list as Confirmed.

Last edited by Dominic Chan; 11-26-2016 at 07:57 PM.
Dominic Chan is offline  
Old 11-26-2016, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mo949's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 4,715
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1085
Gentlemen,

Its been a year in the making but I finally had the time to get one full calibration under my belt. I am attaching the file and I would greatly appreciate all critiques, good or bad.

Thank you!

-Mo
Attached Files
File Type: zip First complete Day Cal.zip (14.9 KB, 11 views)
mo949 is offline  
Old 11-26-2016, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Mississauga, ON, Canada
Posts: 1,709
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1010 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by mick50008 View Post
I decided to use hcfr to fine tune the calibration, although I did run in to a few issues. For some reason at some IRE's the point control on my tv would adjust the previous IRE and not the selected one. Eg. I would be showing the pattern for 30% and adjusting the 30% IRE via my 10 point gamma option on my television and nothing would change in the readings, but switching to gamma point 4 on my television would adjust for 3 in hcfr.
This issue is common to many TVs, and is sometimes referred to as "control point displacement". It usually happens when large reductions are made to the the Contrast control (or the R/G/B Gain controls). Once you're aware of it, you can usually work around it. In any case, when using 10-pt controls it's advisable to make a sweep after each adjustment, as the change you make may affect a region that you're not currently monitoring. Before you complete the grey scale calibration, it's also a good idea to make a 20-pt sweep to ensure there's no peaks or dips in between the control points.
Dominic Chan is offline  
Old 11-26-2016, 08:00 PM
Member
 
mick50008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 69
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Chan View Post
This issue is common to many TVs, and is sometimes referred to as "control point displacement". It usually happens when large reductions are made to the the Contrast control (or the R/G/B Gain controls). Once you're aware of it, you can usually work around it. In any case, when using 10-pt controls it's advisable to make a sweep after each adjustment, as the change you make may affect a region that you're not currently monitoring. Before you complete the grey scale calibration, it's also a good idea to make a 20-pt sweep to ensure there's no peaks or dips in between the control points.


Thanks for the quick response.

I did look a little into "control point displacement" while I was having the issue, and noticed a few people said it was likely a contrast issue and turn contrast to max to regain control of the correct gamma point.

The x700d's default contrast is 90 and it seemed setting it to above 87 gave me full control of the low end while 1 point in the high end would end up being "unchangeable" and setting it below 87 gave me full control of the high end and 1 point in the low end would be "unchangeable".

My workaround was to set contrast above 87 and use spyder manual controls to get high end as close as possible (Which I'm pretty sure was just taking it's measurements from the 80% IRE?) and then using hcfr for the low end and 10 point controls.

I think the end results are pretty ok?


I'm glad I found this thread anyway, going to be doing a lot of reading and learning as I am considering upgrading to the i1 display pro and needing some ideas on the best software solutions etc. as the spyder elite 3 has had a good run but it is past it's use by date.

Last edited by mick50008; 11-26-2016 at 08:03 PM.
mick50008 is offline  
Old 11-26-2016, 08:04 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Mississauga, ON, Canada
Posts: 1,709
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1010 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by mo949 View Post
Its been a year in the making but I finally had the time to get one full calibration under my belt. I am attaching the file and I would greatly appreciate all critiques, good or bad.
The grey scale is very good, although you can probably remove the small bump at 20% in the red curve.

The primary colours, however, are way off, in particular the blue. I would reset the CMS controls back to their default values and make another run for reference.
mick50008 and mo949 like this.
Dominic Chan is offline  
Old 11-26-2016, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Mississauga, ON, Canada
Posts: 1,709
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1010 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by mick50008 View Post
The x700d's default contrast is 90 and it seemed setting it to above 87 gave me full control of the low end while 1 point in the high end would end up being "unchangeable"
Which point is unchangeble when you set the contrast above 87? The objective of setting the contrast control is to prevent clipping; the control point displacement is an undesirable side-effect but should not dictate the contrast setting.

Quote:
I think the end results are pretty ok?
They do look pretty good, but as I suggested previously, it would be useful to make a 20-point sweep just to confirm.
mick50008 likes this.

Last edited by Dominic Chan; 11-26-2016 at 08:13 PM.
Dominic Chan is offline  
Old 11-26-2016, 08:15 PM
Member
 
mick50008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 69
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Chan View Post
They do look pretty good, but as I suggested previously, it would be useful to make a 20-point sweep just to confirm.
Just when I think I'm out.. they pull me back in lol.

Good advice. I will set it all back up and do just that. As I am new to hcfr is there any particular way I should set it up to check at 5% instead of the default 10% for grayscale?
mo949 likes this.
mick50008 is offline  
Old 11-26-2016, 08:22 PM
Member
 
mick50008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 69
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Chan View Post
Which point is unchangeble when you set the contrast above 87? The objective of setting the contrast control is to prevent clipping; the control point displacement is an undesirable side-effect but should not dictate the contrast setting.

It actually kept changing. It seemed to get pushed along. Like I noticed it first on point 3, so I reset everything and started again and went to point 3 first and had no problems then i could do point 4 then i could do point 2 but then point 1 would be unresponsive. Same for the high end although not in conjunction with the low end ie: if all points in the low end were fine i knew 1 point in the high end wouldn't work. So i could manipulate it so the last point I did would be the one that was unresponsive. This was replicated many times. And cheers for the advice about not letting it dictate contrast level. I have the contrast at max as i noticed no clipping.

The above problem was worse when I was trying to calibrate to 180cdm, my final run that I posted here was with a target of 120cdm initially, another thing that may have eliminated the problem was lowering the colour as i noticed clipping in the avs 709 color clipping video, lowering that from 50 down to 46 in conjunction with the 120cdm target seemed to make everything go a lot smoother, then raising brightness to my desired 180cdm and tweaking from there to the point I got it to in the images I posted above.
mick50008 is offline  
Old 11-26-2016, 08:29 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Mississauga, ON, Canada
Posts: 1,709
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1010 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by mick50008 View Post
Just when I think I'm out.. they pull me back in lol.
It's fun

Quote:
As I am new to hcfr is there any particular way I should set it up to check at 5% instead of the default 10% for grayscale?
The setting is under Measures->Parameters
mick50008 likes this.
Dominic Chan is offline  
Old 11-26-2016, 09:18 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mo949's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 4,715
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1085
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Chan View Post
The grey scale is very good, although you can probably remove the small bump at 20% in the red curve.

The primary colours, however, are way off, in particular the blue. I would reset the CMS controls back to their default values and make another run for reference.
Thanks Dominic, I will go back to it on those.

After I got the primaries (using the optimizedplasma mode) i thought the saturation sweeps showed the 25/50 points as being quite a bit off, so i then tweaked those a bit to get them closer in, but then the end points ended up how they are. Is there a way to guage how to do the trafe off in the saturation sweeps? Also the luminance only gets dialed in on the outer point, should one do anything to get the inner point luminances tweaked?

Glad i got greyscale good for a first go!
mick50008 likes this.
mo949 is offline  
Old 11-26-2016, 09:31 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Mississauga, ON, Canada
Posts: 1,709
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1010 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by mo949 View Post
After I got the primaries (using the optimizedplasma mode) i thought the saturation sweeps showed the 25/50 points as being quite a bit off, so i then tweaked those a bit to get them closer in, but then the end points ended up how they are. Is there a way to guage how to do the trafe off in the saturation sweeps?
You can try selecting the REC 709 (75%/75%) as the basis of the adjustment, and then run a saturation sweep to see the overall result.
mick50008 and mo949 like this.
Dominic Chan is offline  
Old 11-27-2016, 12:18 AM
Member
 
mick50008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 69
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Chan View Post
It's fun


The setting is under Measures->Parameters
Fun when things are running smoothly lol, when it is unpredictable...


I went back over and fine tuned a bit more as well as took a look at the 5% increments, I think things are looking even better. Think I will be calling it job done at this point and double checking it tomorrow or the day after and give myself a chance to enjoy/critique the new tv lol.


Cheers for the input as well, much appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hcfr.PNG
Views:	26
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	1792001   Click image for larger version

Name:	hcfr2.PNG
Views:	24
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	1792009   Click image for larger version

Name:	hcfr3.PNG
Views:	26
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	1792017   Click image for larger version

Name:	hcfr4.PNG
Views:	26
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	1792025   Click image for larger version

Name:	hcfr5.PNG
Views:	23
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	1792033  

Click image for larger version

Name:	hcfr6.PNG
Views:	28
Size:	118.6 KB
ID:	1792041  
mick50008 is offline  
Old 11-27-2016, 01:26 AM
Member
 
mick50008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 69
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 11
One other question I have that has probably been asked and answered many times before but I can't seem to find any decent info is about gamma.

I know there is no "standard" for gamma, But when I first launched hcfr the default setting for gamma target was BT.1886 and was obviously curved. Is that what most people are targeting and that's why it's the default setting? I thought a flat 2.2 was the more common target for enthusiasts?

Cheers.
mick50008 is offline  
Old 11-27-2016, 01:34 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mo949's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 4,715
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1085
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Chan View Post
You can try selecting the REC 709 (75%/75%) as the basis of the adjustment, and then run a saturation sweep to see the overall result.
You the man Dominic! Few more hours and I think I have a real calibration finally, at least for my day mode.

Attaching my revised file.

Another question. When i used the test patterns for shadow detail clipping I can easily see the bars under value 16. Since I am using 16-235 on the tv, chromecast, and in HFCR, shouldn't the color bars below 16 be black essentially?
Attached Files
File Type: zip First complete Day Cal after DC tweaks.zip (15.5 KB, 4 views)
mo949 is offline  
Old 11-27-2016, 05:48 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Mississauga, ON, Canada
Posts: 1,709
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1010 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by mo949 View Post
Few more hours and I think I have a real calibration finally, at least for my day mode.
Yes, the results look excellent.

Quote:
When i used the test patterns for shadow detail clipping I can easily see the bars under value 16. Since I am using 16-235 on the tv, chromecast, and in HFCR, shouldn't the color bars below 16 be black essentially?
How did you set the Brightness control? It is supposed to be adjusted such that level 16 and below are black. (Although your current contrast ratio is >20,000, which is very good).
Btw, the hcfr Near Black grey scale sweep can help you fine tune the adjustment.
mo949 likes this.

Last edited by Dominic Chan; 11-27-2016 at 06:41 AM.
Dominic Chan is offline  
Old 11-27-2016, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Mississauga, ON, Canada
Posts: 1,709
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1010 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by mick50008 View Post
I went back over and fine tuned a bit more as well as took a look at the 5% increments, I think things are looking even better. Think I will be calling it job done at this point and double checking it tomorrow or the day after and give myself a chance to enjoy/critique the new tv lol.
The results are very good except for the contrast ratio of 438:1. You might have elevated the black level when adjusting the low end of the 10-pt control. Re-adjusting the Brightness control should be able to improve this significantly.
mick50008 likes this.
Dominic Chan is offline  
Old 11-27-2016, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mo949's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 4,715
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1085
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Chan View Post
Yes, the results look excellent.


How did you set the Brightness control? It is supposed to be adjusted such that level 16 and below are black. (Although your current contrast ratio is >20,000, which is very good).
Btw, the hcfr Near Black grey scale sweep can help you fine tune the adjustment.
Thanks! So I used Teds lightspace disk to get a pluge pattern with the blinking bars to where 16 was pretty much barely visible in the dark. I ran the near black tests in hfcr and everything checked out with low de's. When I ran the shadow and highlight test pattern from hfcr is when i got really confused because stuff labeled 1-16 was pretty visible - so i believe either i have some setting wrong, the test pattern isnt displaying properly, or i just dont understand it properly ( more likely).
mo949 is offline  
Old 11-27-2016, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member
 
fafrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 8,214
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 2021
For any 2016 OLED owner's monitoring the HCFR thread, what is the current thinking as to the best Display Type to use, OLED (R, G, B), LCD White LED, or something else?

And for the HCFR powers that be, when might it be possible to hope for an OLED White type (or whatever)? While I understand that R, G, B OLEDs continue to be used is phone and other screens, when it comes to TVs, they are a thing of the past and having a specific type for OLED White or OLED LG would make it much easier for DIY calibration newbies to get up and running...
fafrd is online now  
Old 11-27-2016, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member
 
fafrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 8,214
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 2021
Quote:
Originally Posted by mo949 View Post
Thanks! So I used Teds lightspace disk to get a pluge pattern with the blinking bars to where 16 was pretty much barely visible in the dark. I ran the near black tests in hfcr and everything checked out with low de's. When I ran the shadow and highlight test pattern from hfcr is when i got really confused because stuff labeled 1-16 was pretty visible - so i believe either i have some setting wrong, the test pattern isnt displaying properly, or i just dont understand it properly ( more likely).
Sounds like you may be running into the same issue I have had.

I use Ted's Lightspace as my reference. It generates the readings I trust.

Using the Generator in HCFR than sweeping through 21-pt manually, so I use it to calibrate.

When I set HCFR to 16-235, my levels come out to high. I believe my computer is scaling to video levels in a way I am unable to disable.

When I set HCFR to 0-255, the levels come out correctly. 5% says 13,13,13 but reads like Red's 5% pattern (which corresponds to video level 27,27,27).

I get my 21-ot calibration roughed-in this way and then use Ted's Lightspace pattern for a final true-in (manually).

If anyone can explain to me a way to change the settings on my laptop so 16-235 works properly, that would be great.

I have the OLED on Black Level'Low' and my Sony Bluray player has YCbCr/RGB (HDMI) set to 'Auto' in case that may be contributing to the mismatch.

The options I have out of the Bluray player are:

Auto
YCbCr (4:2:2)
YCbCr (4:4:4)
RGB

I suppose if I set the OLED to Black Level High and the Bluray player to RGB, that HCFR on 16-235 might line up with Ted's Lightspace patterns, but what is the preferred video mode to use out of the Bluray player and how can I get HCFR to generate similar patterns?
ConnecTEDDD and mo949 like this.
fafrd is online now  
Old 11-27-2016, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Mississauga, ON, Canada
Posts: 1,709
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1010 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post
And for the HCFR powers that be, when might it be possible to hope for an OLED White type (or whatever)?
That would be a request for ArgyllCMS, which HCFR uses for its probe support.
Dominic Chan is offline  
Old 11-27-2016, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Mississauga, ON, Canada
Posts: 1,709
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1010 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post
When I set HCFR to 16-235, my levels come out to high. I believe my computer is scaling to video levels in a way I am unable to disable.
Which video card does your computer use? If it's already scaling video to 16-235 and you cannot disable it, then indeed HCFR should be set for 0-255.
Dominic Chan is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
 
Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off