HCFR - Open source projector and display calibration software - Page 28 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 99Likes

post #811 of 5063 Old 08-06-2012, 07:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
The consistent results:

djams,

I reached consistent results when using the HCFR 2.01 and HCFR 3.0.4. Initially, when calibrating the sensor with HCFR 3.0.4, I put the sensor on a dark object. The gamma level stayed the same, but the blues and reds lower than 40 % strayed a little. The difference was noticeable. Next, I recalibrated the sensor using the 100% pattern, and also unchecked in the advance settings a box about using measured colors. More calibration measurements brought the HCFR 3.0.4 very close to the HCFR 2.01 measurements. Now I am comfortable with the idea that the HCFR 3.0.4 software works about the same as the HCFR 2.01 software.

Additionally, HCFR 3.0.4 appeared to be faster than the 2.01 edition.

Thank you again for your assistance.

Vincentfam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 5063 Old 08-06-2012, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 82
So when will the HCFR Operator's Manual be available?

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

post #813 of 5063 Old 08-07-2012, 12:42 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentfam View Post

The consistent results:
djams,
I reached consistent results when using the HCFR 2.01 and HCFR 3.0.4. Initially, when calibrating the sensor with HCFR 3.0.4, I put the sensor on a dark object. The gamma level stayed the same, but the blues and reds lower than 40 % strayed a little. The difference was noticeable. Next, I recalibrated the sensor using the 100% pattern, and also unchecked in the advance settings a box about using measured colors. More calibration measurements brought the HCFR 3.0.4 very close to the HCFR 2.01 measurements. Now I am comfortable with the idea that the HCFR 3.0.4 software works about the same as the HCFR 2.01 software.
Additionally, HCFR 3.0.4 appeared to be faster than the 2.01 edition.
Thank you again for your assistance.
Vincentfam

Thanks for the update vincentfam. I'm glad to hear things matched up in the end. smile.gif
post #814 of 5063 Old 08-07-2012, 12:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augerhandle View Post

Sounds like we have a volunteer! This is a project that is open to contribution by all, in whatever way they are able. I'm sure that JohnAD would appreciate your help in updating the HCFR help file. smile.gif
post #815 of 5063 Old 08-07-2012, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidC3 View Post

Join the Club, I don't think the software works for Spyder 2,3 or 4. I've tried without success and judging by other posts no one recently seems to have any success.

Aww, man!

I had great results when I calibrated my former projector using HCFR with a Spyder2 with no issues at all. No fumbling with drivers or anything like that. Just pnp.

Now I got myself a new projector, so I had high hopes as to what CCFR would do for the pq using a Spyder3 I've borrowed.
Alas, no dice. Driver errors all the way. No compatibility with neither Spyder2 nor 3 whether with HCFR 2.0.1 or 3.0.4. Neither updating drivers to the ones supplied with HCFR nor putting .dll files in the HCFR installation directory did solve it.
In the sensor selection menu only "Simulated sensor, DTP-94 and HCFR sensor" appear.

I've spent most of a day messing with this and I'm getting quite frustrated. Because I would really like to make it work. HCFR is a great piece of sw when it works.
Can someone please point to the stone I have left unturned?

Regards,
Boye
post #816 of 5063 Old 08-07-2012, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djams View Post

Quote:

Sounds like we have a volunteer! This is a project that is open to contribution by all, in whatever way they are able. I'm sure that JohnAD would appreciate your help in updating the HCFR help file. smile.gif

I'd love to contribute, though one would need to know how to make it work in order to write a manual explaining how to make it work. rolleyes.gif I asked for help earlier in this thread and got no responses, so please pardon my sarcasm. I guess I'll just use something else until the release version.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

post #817 of 5063 Old 08-07-2012, 09:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I asked for help earlier in this thread and got no responses, so please pardon my sarcasm.

Didn't realize this, please pardon my sarcasm as well. smile.gif
Quote:

I have an Eyeone LT meter. Other than calibrating it to a known good meter, what will I need in order to use it on a DLP with the new HCFR version?

Here are the wiki page instructions for driver installation for the i1Display2/LT. http://sourceforge.net/p/hcfr/wiki/Driver%20Support%20and%20Instructions/

Aside from that, I noticed on the wiki page for meter support that "single chip DLP's" are considered to be refresh display type, so you would choose CRT when calibrating. (I guess, I am far from being an expert in this field).
post #818 of 5063 Old 08-07-2012, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks.

post #819 of 5063 Old 08-07-2012, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boye View Post

Aww, man!
I had great results when I calibrated my former projector using HCFR with a Spyder2 with no issues at all. No fumbling with drivers or anything like that. Just pnp.
Now I got myself a new projector, so I had high hopes as to what CCFR would do for the pq using a Spyder3 I've borrowed.
Alas, no dice. Driver errors all the way. No compatibility with neither Spyder2 nor 3 whether with HCFR 2.0.1 or 3.0.4. Neither updating drivers to the ones supplied with HCFR nor putting .dll files in the HCFR installation directory did solve it.
In the sensor selection menu only "Simulated sensor, DTP-94 and HCFR sensor" appear.
I've spent most of a day messing with this and I'm getting quite frustrated. Because I would really like to make it work. HCFR is a great piece of sw when it works.
Regards,
Boye

Boye,

It took me some time to find the correct driver for the hcfr 3.0.4. for my i1 display 2. From memory, and also not knowing much about the spyder, you may want to go to the spyder website to see if they have an updated version of your software. If so, download it. Look in the (old or updated) spyder program (windows explorer, etc.) to see if there is a folder for drivers (better if there is a folder for usb drivers). Copy (right click on mouse, etc.) the computer address for this "folder" for later pasting in the hcfr program. Open up the hcfr program and select "new" in the drop down. When asked about installing drivers, use the advanced - search option and not the cd, etc. When the window opens up for the search of the driver, right click the mouse to paste the above computer address in the search box. This will enable the hcfr to look for the appropriate driver in the specific spyder software folder.

Additionally, you may want to look into hcfr 3.034's program to see if it has a folder for drivers that include spyder's driver (I think I remember seeing them in the folder), and copy the folder's address for pasting in the hcfr program as well. I used both methods and they came up with the same results for the proper driver to use with the hcfr.

Good luck,

Vincentfam
post #820 of 5063 Old 08-07-2012, 01:56 PM

Vincentfam,
Thank you very much for your advice.

However, I don't even get as far as to being asked about installing a driver. When I try to create a new file, I select "DVD manual" as generator, and as soon as I click OK, I get a pop-up warning window saying "Incorrect driver - starting communications with the meter failed with severe error. Argyll Error." After reluctantly accepting this by "OK" I am still stuck with only three sensors to choose from - none of them being the Spyder.

Luckily my Epson has a reputation of a rather good out-of-the box calibration, so I think I'll give watching films a higher priority than solving driver issues right now. smile.gif
post #821 of 5063 Old 08-07-2012, 02:13 PM

Boye,

I will look at it tonight and get back with you. I think that I am missing a step in loading the driver.

Vincentfam
post #822 of 5063 Old 08-07-2012, 03:07 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

Aww, man!
Regards,
Boye

I have a Spyder2 as well. With win7 64, HCFR2.0.1 or 3.0.4 would not work with it. I installed the original SpyderTV software (latest software from their site). That worked. Then HCFR.2.0.1 started working but not 3.0.4. So try installing SpyderTV. At least, you may be able to get 2.0.1 working.

-Tony
post #823 of 5063 Old 08-07-2012, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:

Vincentfam,
Thank you very much for your advice.
However, I don't even get as far as to being asked about installing a driver. When I try to create a new file, I select "DVD manual" as generator, and as soon as I click OK, I get a pop-up warning window saying "Incorrect driver - starting communications with the meter failed with severe error. Argyll Error." After reluctantly accepting this by "OK" I am still stuck with only three sensors to choose from - none of them being the Spyder.
Luckily my Epson has a reputation of a rather good out-of-the box calibration, so I think I'll give watching films a higher priority than solving driver issues right now. smile.gif
That error means that you have the incorrect driver installed (oddly enough). Have you installed the one from the driver directory under the hcfr installl, if that still doesn't work with the latest hcfr send me the log file.

John

P.S. What would better wording for this message be?

P.P.S. Sorry that things have been so very quiet on the hcfr front, new job, olympics, kids off school, hideous new avs forum software and computer issues have been stopping me from making any progress.

My Company - Upsilon Software
Free Projects - DScaler & hcfr fork
post #824 of 5063 Old 08-07-2012, 07:06 PM

Steps to Load Driver:

Here are the steps I took to load HCFR driver into the calibration software:

1. Make sure your device is connected via usb to the computer. Go to Device Manager and click on the usb device that you want to connect for the hcfr. My computer indicates an "Argyll" device.

2. Click to open this device and you should see a Properties window. Click on the drivers' tab and hit uninstall (to clear improper drivers). Then close the window.

3. Restart your computer. After the computer restarts, there should be some indication that your computer has "new hardware" which should be the usb device for your hcfr. A wizard window should open to start the process of installing your driver. Do not do anything with the Wizard program at this time. Just leave it open and come back to it later.

4. Go to your program files (via windows explorer, etc.) and open up the HCFR Calibration File (not the Color HCFR, which may be the old software). Click open this file and you should see a drivers file. Click open the drivers file (you should see all of the drivers, including spyder, etc.). Right click on the address bar and copy the program's drivers' address to later paste in the HCFR program. You can then close this window. The address should look something like this:

C:\Program Files\HCFR Calibration\Drivers

5. Go back to the Wizard program and click "Install from a list or specific location (Advanced)", then hit next button.

6. Click "Search for the best driver in these locations" and then only check the "Include this location in the search:" Right click on your mouse the box below this latter option and hit paste to insert into this box the previously copied drivers address from the HCFR Calibration program files. The HCFR Calibration program's drivers' address should appear inside of this box. Hit next button.

7. The Wizard program should be locating and installing your driver for the calibration device. Hit finish when the Wizard program is done.

8. Open HCFR program and select New. You should see a "Generator Selection" page. Select DVD manual and hit next. Scroll down the sensor's list and select your driver (which should be there) for your device. The next page should be a meter property page and your meter's name should be there. Only options for measurements should be LCD and CRT (at least it is for mine). Select CRT for plasmas. For other suggestions, consult this forum.

9. For calibrating the sensor, the program may ask for a white test pattern. I use the 100% White. Not sure if this correct.

These are my recommendations.

Good luck.

Vincentfam
post #825 of 5063 Old 08-08-2012, 02:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Thanks for that Vincent.

My method for changing the driver involves using the update driver from the device manager and taking the manual and then the have disk path. I think this avoids any issues where the old drivers get installed automatically.

Drivers are a pain and I'm sorry athat the current appoach requires this, there was some hope a while ago that I would be able to use filter drivers to avoid having to change the vendor drivers but after som einitial success I didn't get it to work again.

John

My Company - Upsilon Software
Free Projects - DScaler & hcfr fork
post #826 of 5063 Old 08-08-2012, 02:49 AM

Thanks for trying, both of you.

I've tried to follow Vincentfam's steps after thoroughly uninstalling the program, deleting remaiing files and drivers and running a registry cleaning.
But I still get the "Argyll Error" the instant I Select DVD manual and hit next.

Boye

P.S. At this point no log file is created.
post #827 of 5063 Old 08-08-2012, 05:25 AM

Boye,

I had the same issues about old drivers, etc. I think the step that I left out was to initially do and uninstall of the hcfr program and then download the program again to start anew. then I went through the process of the device manager and went from there.

Also, you may want to consider doing a system restore to see if that will help with your hcfr program.

Keep hope alive.

Vincentfam
post #828 of 5063 Old 08-08-2012, 07:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAd View Post

P.P.S. Sorry that things have been so very quiet on the hcfr front, new job, olympics, kids off school, hideous new avs forum software and computer issues have been stopping me from making any progress.
Thanks for checking in! Take your time, of course. For me its just good to know you're OK. smile.gif
post #829 of 5063 Old 08-11-2012, 08:28 AM

Quote:

I've tried to follow Vincentfam's steps after thoroughly uninstalling the program, deleting remaiing files and drivers and running a registry cleaning.
But I still get the "Argyll Error" the instant I Select DVD manual and hit next.
Boye

Boye,

I found the below comment from an argyll website. If you have Windows 7 64 bit, that may be the problem.

Quote:
NOTE: The Colorimètre HCFR can't be installed Windows 7 64 (It's USB hardware behaves rather strangely).

Vincentfam
post #830 of 5063 Old 08-11-2012, 08:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Quote:

Boye

Boye,

I found the below comment from an argyll website. If you have Windows 7 64 bit, that may be the problem.

Quote:
NOTE: The Colorimètre HCFR can't be installed Windows 7 64 (It's USB hardware behaves rather strangely).

Vincentfam

I am running both the old and new HCFR on win7 64bit with no issues - aside from the known problem with the i1pro.
post #831 of 5063 Old 08-11-2012, 09:06 AM

Looks like I found an outdated or bad website.
post #832 of 5063 Old 08-11-2012, 09:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Looks like I found an outdated or bad website.

I think it was just misunderstood. That statement on the argylcms site is referring to the HCFR probe (the meter).
post #833 of 5063 Old 08-11-2012, 03:41 PM

My bad.
post #834 of 5063 Old 08-12-2012, 12:53 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by djams View Post

I am running both the old and new HCFR on win7 64bit with no issues - aside from the known problem with the i1pro.

What problem are you referring to?
post #835 of 5063 Old 08-12-2012, 01:03 PM
Advanced Member

^ the i1pro does not work in HCFR 3.x yet.
post #836 of 5063 Old 08-12-2012, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked: 434
post #837 of 5063 Old 08-12-2012, 04:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoyd View Post

i1pro works with 3.0.0.0, the version without multiple meter support
Thanks for clarifying zoyd. I didn't know that.
post #838 of 5063 Old 08-14-2012, 05:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Any update on a Mac version or do I have to wade into the murky swamp that is Windows....?

Demand greater honesty and transparency in high-end audio

With Theta, Egglestonworks and Krell since 1998!
post #839 of 5063 Old 08-14-2012, 07:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevekale View Post

Any update on a Mac version or do I have to wade into the murky swamp that is Windows....?

Awww - come on in, the waters fine. The snakes and alligators keep things interesting wink.gif
post #840 of 5063 Old 08-14-2012, 09:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked: 434
Reply Display Calibration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page