HCFR - Open source projector and display calibration software - Page 291 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 899Likes

post #8701 of 8708 Old Yesterday, 10:31 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamikaze_Ice View Post
The CMS controls on the oleds are terrible. Look at a Granger Rainbow (aka horizontal & vertical ramp) patterns when adjusting any of the settings.

This behavior might be why you are reading more errors, but it's possible to have fantastic pattern measurements yet have everything else screwed up.

For more information on this, look in the LG oled calibration thread.

If you're aware of this and know this is not the issue (minimal CMS adjustments), then I don't know.
Yes I know that, BUT my post was about the fact that as the measured point got closer to the target point the dE value increased rather than decreased. Seems like the opposite should occur.

LG OLED65B6P TV, Yamaha RX-V665 AV receiver, Sony BDP_S1700 Player, Klipsch F-30 speaker system
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8702 of 8708 Old Yesterday, 10:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1118
Quote:
Originally Posted by dschlic1 View Post
Yes I know that, BUT my post was about the fact that as the measured point got closer to the target point the dE value increased rather than decreased. Seems like the opposite should occur.
And as you got closer on the CIE chart your luminance values in the metrics area did not get worse?
post #8703 of 8708 Old Yesterday, 11:08 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mo949 View Post
And as you got closer on the CIE chart your luminance values in the metrics area did not get worse?
Probably and that is the issue with Hcfr or the Cie chart.
It's a two dimensional chart that doesn't account for luminance.

I find it frustrating because you are bringing the x y closer to what it should be but somehow it destroys the luminance Y instead of improving it which is what i would expect it you close in on two points...

post #8704 of 8708 Old Yesterday, 11:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked: 306
Quote:
When you said "the measured point got closer to the target point", is that only for xy? One needs to monitor both delta-xy and delta-Y, when adjusting the CMS controls. Often one needs to iterate between the CMS controls to achieve minimum delta-E.

Last edited by Dominic Chan; Yesterday at 05:56 PM.
post #8705 of 8708 Old Yesterday, 01:05 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Chan View Post
As a "rule", you should run the calibration patterns on the same player (software or hardware) as the one you use to play your movies.

I noticed that with my projector, the HCFR automatic patterns (whether GDI or floating window) are close to the disc-based patterns, but with my Samsung TV the GDI and floating window patterns are quite different from each other, and from the disc patterns.
Thanks. I was thinking the same thing so I will stay with the BD player disc based patterns. Since I use both a BD player (DVD, BD and streaming) and a UHD player (UHD disc only) I will run them thru the Samsung k8500 and see how the results compare.
post #8706 of 8708 Old Yesterday, 10:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnecTEDDD View Post
Spoiler!

There is not any golden rule which says which type of patterns to use to calibrate the CMS for each display model, you have to try to your display these 4 options.

(75%/75% - 75%/100% - 100%/75% - 100%/100%) to find out which type of patterns will provide you lower dE overall, try to calibrate based to one of these options (for example 100SAT/75AMPL) and at the end, measure using 4-Point Saturation / 4-Point Luminance / ColorChecker / Fleshtones.

Later re-calibrate your display using another option (for example 75SAT/75AMPL) and remeasure at the end with Saturation/Luminance/ColorChecker etc... and compare these 2 reports to see what patterns are providing you lower dE numbers.
Spoiler!
I put parts of the quote in spoiler tags to keep things tidy.

On your disc you have two "types" of patterns for saturation sweeps that are compatible with HCFR. ChromaPure patterns and CalMAN patterns.
The CalMAN ones are "color checker" patterns, while the ChromaPure set are not. I just want to be clear that I'm not talking about the difference in saturation/stimulus

I've done a saturation sweep via HCFR's individual saturation sweep pages measuring the ChromaPure patterns and another saturation sweep measuring the CalMAN patterns via HCFR's color picker. Both sets were using the same saturation/stimulus (100/100).
When comparing the results, not only did I get not only different measurements but they also had different different targets (HFCR target boxes don't overlap color checker target boxes on the CIE map). I made sure both had the same white measurement for calculating error, and that primary/secondaries were measured beforehand, so the difference in target is something I found strange, too.
If I was blindly following low delta errors, then the CalMAN patterns wins by a landslide.
So naturally I tried using the CalMAN patterns with HCFR's saturation sweep pages, and I quickly learned that there these are not the same patterns at all.

I'd like to know why they are different, and if they should be used differently.
Is it possible for color patterns to be for specific gamma targets? I'm using BT.1886 with a custom black of 0.00215 (so IRE 5 target = 0.190 nits with a 170 peak. ~2.35 average gamma), if it matters.

And sorry if this has been answered before. I've searched for ~3 hours and found nothing on this, but found answers to questions I was going to look for tomorrow by happenstance. lol.
post #8707 of 8708 Old Today, 11:12 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Chan View Post
When you said "the measured point got closer to the target point", is that only for xy? One needs to monitor both delta-xy and delta-Y, when adjusting the CMS controls. Often one needs to iterate between the CMS controls to achieve minimum delta-E.
Yes I also corrected for Y. I have attached the final calibration file.
Attached Files
File Type: zip OLED.zip (26.6 KB, 3 views)

LG OLED65B6P TV, Yamaha RX-V665 AV receiver, Sony BDP_S1700 Player, Klipsch F-30 speaker system
post #8708 of 8708 Old Today, 11:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked: 306
Quote:
Yes I also corrected for Y. I have attached the final calibration file.
I was hoping to see a comparison of 2 calibration files that demonstrate "as measured point got closer to the target point the dE value increased rather than decreased". That would point to a bug in HCFR.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration