HCFR - Open source projector and display calibration software - Page 296 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 917Likes
post #8851 of 8863 Unread 03-23-2017, 11:27 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Coolest View Post
@dschlic1
Yes, you can do it.
Take the required measurements (primaries + white) with both the spectro and colorimeter.
On the spectro sheet select "Reference" on the top right checkbox.
Switch to the colorimeter sheet, go to "Advanced" --> "Meter Correction file" --> "Create using Existing Reference Measures".
This will let you save the correction to a file for later use, this way you won't have to bring out the spectro to redo a panel.

I just tried that and the only option is to save the corrections as a *.thc file.

LG OLED65B6P TV, Yamaha RX-V665 AV receiver, Sony BDP_S1700 Player, Klipsch F-30 speaker system
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8852 of 8863 Unread 03-23-2017, 11:55 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 448 Post(s)
Liked: 347
@dschlic1
That's a correction you can apply to your meter when you start HCFR.

HCFR 3.4.3 | Git branch
Vizio M60-D1 | T95M with LibreELEC | Vizio SB3851-D0 | Calibration + Settings
Vizio M55-C2 | M8S+ with LibreELEC | Calibration + Settings
post #8853 of 8863 Unread 03-23-2017, 05:49 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by dschlic1 View Post
I just tried that and the only option is to save the corrections as a *.thc file.
Everyone needs THC corrections....

Like The Coolest said, it is a correction file. As far as I know this is only contains matrix values, so you could just copy-paste what this .thc correction gives in those boxes.

It would be nice if the .thc file format was notepad friendly (viewable/editable).

post #8854 of 8863 Unread 03-23-2017, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Chan View Post
HCFR does not directly control Murideo SIX-G. Presumably you can still treat it as a "manual" pattern source and control it yourself.
I have no idea if this will work:
Assuming the Murideo SIX-G has (or can have) patterns with the same triplets and measuring order...
Set HCFR to "Automatic" pattern generator.
Set GDI/MadTPG to open on another monitor (virtual or real). Basically move it so you don't measure it (ignore if target display is not computer).
Adjust HCFR's "dynamic iris" to match your meter's measurement speed.

This should allow HCFR to measure patterns from the Murideo SIX-G and delay the time between measurements to keep HCFR from going faster than the Murideo SIX-G, all while keeping you from hitting "OK" to start the next measurement.

This should be the same thing if you were to use Ted's calibration disc profiling/characterization patterns for making a 3D LUTs.
post #8855 of 8863 Unread 03-23-2017, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gecko1303 View Post
The OLED has a green magenta color.
Every OLED has that.More or less.
If I put the sensor in the middle where is green I have 98 percent red.
If I put the sensor on the magenta I have 103 percent red.
That's 5 percent difference. First, I still red the magenta is much too red.
That could explain everything.
Quote:
@gecko1303
If you read the article posted above, you will have your answers.
I think the green/magenta(red) tinting gecko is seeing is caused by the polarized glass of his LG OLED (looks like a C6).
This changes depending on your viewing angle.
On my E6, my eyes are centered and angled/leveled to the center of the screen.
From the center of the screen you can divide it into quarters.
Top right looks red
Bottom left looks green.
Top left and bottom right are the same and neither red nor green.
This stays relative to the "center" any viewing angle.

This is why the tinting was visible when color was set to 0.

Unfortunately Mr. Shaws reccomended perceptual color matching is not going to be a good idea due to this. Your brain will pick up this tinting and contaminate your perception of white.
At best you can position yourself near the edge to reduce this polarization tinting while putting your "reference" display behind it (anything so you don't move away from your viewing angle).
The Coolest likes this.
post #8856 of 8863 Unread 03-23-2017, 07:15 PM

Quote:
I see.
And I understand, and believe me I was (and still am) just as p***ed off about it.
On the other hand I understand why they're doing it, too.
With that said, with all of this "extra-security" crap, they're basically killing a lot of freeware this way. It's not just USB, it's anything that needs a driver for direct access to hardware.
As long as there is a way to disable it, I'm kind of glad this is required, only because there are STILL people who fall for the "obvious" scam e-mails/sites/browser-ad-like-a-win95-virus-popup stuff.

Disabling driving signing and disabling UAC/DEP is the first thing I do on my systems. I know what I'm doing with a computer, I WANT MY ADMIN RIGHTS TO EVERYTHING. It's rediculous that Metro apps will not work without the "fake" windows administrator account (i.e. requires UAC popups for an admin to become an elevated admin...)

I was going to share a link for this, but apparently a Windows 10 update has "fixed" this for Win10 Test Mode (watermark for test mode can also be removed).
Although I don't have any problems installing unsigned drivers (Win10 x64, all patches as of this post date). This might be due to me being a true admin (no UAC, no metro apps... which are useless anyways lol).
post #8857 of 8863 Unread Yesterday, 06:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, i am relatively new to calibration and ive been playing round with a ColorMunki Display and HCFR. Probably spent about 10 hours on it so far...tricky stuff! I have a GT30 Panasonic Plasma (from 2011).

I have a couple of questions i'm people can advise me on:
- How important is the "saturation shifts" graph? Almost all my dEs for Primary & Secondary saturation are <2, but in the top section of the graph the lines for green and magenta are out of wack...trending right down so as to disappear at ~50%.
- My display's gamma of 2.2 is actually measured as closer to 2.13 and its not a straight line...kinda wonky. I dont have 10 point greyscale controls unfortunately. Anything i can do about this? Im using "power law with black compensation" of 2.2 in HCFR settings. RGBs are all pretty in line.

My ultimate aim here to calibrate display prior to creating a 3Dlut for MadVR. Will that correct the gamma? Am i best to use power law 2.2 for that rather than BT.1886 given the display does not have BT.1886 native option nor 10-pt grey scale?

thanks!
post #8858 of 8863 Unread Yesterday, 07:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1311 Post(s)
Liked: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by krma View Post
- How important is the "saturation shifts" graph? Almost all my dEs for Primary & Secondary saturation are <2, but in the top section of the graph the lines for green and magenta are out of wack...trending right down so as to disappear at ~50%.
- My display's gamma of 2.2 is actually measured as closer to 2.13 and its not a straight line...kinda wonky. I dont have 10 point greyscale controls unfortunately. Anything i can do about this? Im using "power law with black compensation" of 2.2 in HCFR settings. RGBs are all pretty in line.

My ultimate aim here to calibrate display prior to creating a 3Dlut for MadVR. Will that correct the gamma? Am i best to use power law 2.2 for that rather than BT.1886 given the display does not have BT.1886 native option nor 10-pt grey scale?
If you're going to use 3DLUT you only need to set the white point and black point correctly using your TV's control; you don't need to worry about 10pt grey scale control or saturation sweeps. Both will be corrected by the 3DLUT. Even the BT.1886 EOTF will be created by the 3DLUT. However, you need to make sure that the TV is not doing any kind of auto-dimming etc as those will mess up the calibration.

JVC DLA-RS4910
HCFR Bug List

Last edited by Dominic Chan; Yesterday at 07:14 PM.
post #8859 of 8863 Unread Today, 12:59 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Chan View Post
If you're going to use 3DLUT you only need to set the white point and black point correctly using your TV's control; you don't need to worry about 10pt grey scale control or saturation sweeps. Both will be corrected by the 3DLUT. Even the BT.1886 EOTF will be created by the 3DLUT. However, you need to make sure that the TV is not doing any kind of auto-dimming etc as those will mess up the calibration.
Thanks! I still need to calibrate the TV for broadcast though (so no 3Dlut).

What are your thoughts on my questions about gamma and saturation shifts?
post #8860 of 8863 Unread Today, 04:36 AM

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 26
You should do a 2pt whitebalance, though. And you might want to set gamma to approx 2.4. (at least somewhat higher than 2.13) Higher gamma gives you more to work with at the low end without losing resolution. The less the 3DLUT has to correct, the better it will look.
post #8861 of 8863 Unread Today, 04:56 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
unable to chose display type

Hi,

I looked through the feed as best as I could but couldn't find this question before. If so, pardon me!

I've installed HCFR 3.4.3 on my new laptop (win 7 pro) because it has an HDMI-out.

Before that I used HCFR 3.4.3 (I upgraded it a couple of weeks ago) on an old ACER aspire 'mini' laptop. (Win XP) I used it with the AVS HD disk and had to manually change all the windows and initiate all the readings.

Both detect my Color Munky display, but on the acer I was able to choose the correction file for the right display type, on the new laptop I can only chose between Refresh or non-refresh display.

Ik checked all the folders and files on the two laptops and all the available files are exactly the same on both PC's.

For some reason however I can't select the different types of displays to measure.

Does anybody have any ideas to unlock this?

Gr.
Joris.

PS. this is my company PC, one of the IT guys installed it for me, so for now, re-installing is no option,... :
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Display type.PNG
Views:	4
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	2053985   Click image for larger version

Name:	display choice.PNG
Size:	137.1 KB
ID:	2053993   Click image for larger version

Name:	displays2.PNG
Views:	3
Size:	187.4 KB
ID:	2054001   Click image for larger version

Name:	displays.PNG
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	2054009  
post #8862 of 8863 Unread Today, 05:14 AM

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 26
you must install i1 profiler software, or the corresponding software for colormunki.
post #8863 of 8863 Unread Today, 06:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1311 Post(s)
Liked: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by krma View Post
Thanks! I still need to calibrate the TV for broadcast though (so no 3Dlut).

What are your thoughts on my questions about gamma and saturation shifts?
I'm not quite sure what you mean by "trending right down so as to disappear at ~50%." Can you post the HCFR data file (*.chc)?

Without 10-pt control, there's not much you can do to adjust the gamma other than selecting from the presets. You need to check the gamma measurements using different patterns (e.g., 10% window, APL) to see if the TV's auto dim features are affecting the measurements.

JVC DLA-RS4910
HCFR Bug List
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration