HCFR - Open source projector and display calibration software - Page 61 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 50Likes

post #1801 of 4208 Old 04-16-2013, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 312
source is available in sourceforge, have at it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1802 of 4208 Old 04-16-2013, 03:13 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Zoyd,I've read before that you have tinkered with a Panny GT30 before and they are known for gamma issues in custom mid (HDMI Content OFF) like the graph below....

Is that due to the abl or is there something really amuck?

BTW I calibrated custom mid in graphics mode with great results,I just want to tackle on custom mid Content off as the colors look more vivid but fleshtones still look sunburnt somewhat even with firmware 2.1 color luminance fix applied.

Looking at the graph ,could I raise the green cut in the custom pro settings to raise gamma or is it just a waist due to the abl nature? Thanks....

PS...Please only you or John Ad should mess with the Fork sourceforg....Too many Chefs in the kitchen will spoil the broth.biggrin.gif
post #1803 of 4208 Old 04-17-2013, 12:34 AM
wl1
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Threads such as this, evolving technical ones, are difficult to follow. Maybe I should put the time in and read from the beginning (again!)– but I know things are changing so I don’t commit some details to memory….

Perhaps time for the Opening Post to be updated again? I would start with the Title.

The Opening Post has two initial links, both 3.0.4.0, but one is for beta.

I went to Sourceforge, and the first download link is for version 3.0.4.0 – But I suspected there was a later version.

http://sourceforge.net/p/hcfr/wiki/Home/

http://sourceforge.net/projects/hcfr/ - with Beta icon?

I then followed the link with the File icon, and discovered the Forks/Branches – not sure of the difference!

http://sourceforge.net/p/hcfr/code/forks/

Then I found the magic letters ZOYD – and Jackpot –
http://sourceforge.net/projects/zoyd000.u/files/

I think the people who use their skills and have dedicated so much time to this project over the years are amazing – thank you, one and all. Numpties like me, and there are probably many of us, are easily confused. Is there a way of cleaning up the Sourceforge site, or the AVForums Thread to make navigation to the latest info easier?

I am volunteering to help, given some guidance.

Thanks,

Wayne
(Owner of new i1D3Pro – busting a gut to get started)
post #1804 of 4208 Old 04-17-2013, 07:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterLewis View Post

Zoyd,I've read before that you have tinkered with a Panny GT30 before and they are known for gamma issues in custom mid (HDMI Content OFF) like the graph below....

Is that due to the abl or is there something really amuck?

BTW I calibrated custom mid in graphics mode with great results,I just want to tackle on custom mid Content off as the colors look more vivid but fleshtones still look sunburnt somewhat even with firmware 2.1 color luminance fix applied.

Looking at the graph ,could I raise the green cut in the custom pro settings to raise gamma or is it just a waist due to the abl nature? Thanks....

PS...Please only you or John Ad should mess with the Fork sourceforg....Too many Chefs in the kitchen will spoil the broth.biggrin.gif

no, you can't fix that with WB adjustments and yes it does look like ABL. I don't think there is much you can do with the GT30/mid-panel calibration, not enough control. When I looked at prior to the luminance fix it was hopelessly awful for skintones but the low setting was pretty good.
post #1805 of 4208 Old 04-17-2013, 07:07 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I don't get the "Average many reads on dark measurements" any more on any of my meters. I have an i1 Pro REV D, Monaco Optix XR DTP94, and an i1 Display 2 LT.

Is the average many reads turned on by default now so I don't have to wory about it, or is it off and now I have inaccurate lower IRE readings?

I've tried both the included drivers and the latest ArgyllCMS drivers.

Anyway I'll include some screenshots.

HCFR.zip 24k .zip file
Attached Files
File Type: zip HCFR.zip (23.7 KB, 1 views)
post #1806 of 4208 Old 04-17-2013, 08:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22point8 View Post

I don't get the "Average many reads on dark measurements" any more on any of my meters. I have an i1 Pro REV D, Monaco Optix XR DTP94, and an i1 Display 2 LT.

Is the average many reads turned on by default now so I don't have to wory about it, or is it off and now I have inaccurate lower IRE readings?

I've tried both the included drivers and the latest ArgyllCMS drivers.

low-light handling for all the meters supported by ArgyllCMS is now done automatically within the drivers, no user settings are required. If you see any unusual low-light behavior, please report it here or on the ArgyllCMS forums.
post #1807 of 4208 Old 04-17-2013, 08:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wl1 View Post

Is there a way of cleaning up the Sourceforge site, or the AVForums Thread to make navigation to the latest info easier?

I am volunteering to help, given some guidance.

Thanks,

Wayne
(Owner of new i1D3Pro – busting a gut to get started)

thanks for the offer, unfortunately JohnAD is the only one who can modify the OP and/or merge my "fork of the fork" into the his code, and we haven't heard from him in several months.
post #1808 of 4208 Old 04-17-2013, 08:38 AM
wl1
Advanced Member

Is it fair to say that your fork is now further advanced than "Fork1"?

If that is the case, maybe a new Sourceforge site can be used to keep things in check. It all sounds a little precarious otherwise - and you have done too much good work for others not to benefit.

It is easy to get the first post modified, I believe it can be re-assigned by a moderator.
post #1809 of 4208 Old 04-18-2013, 05:30 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 309
The first post is now yours to edit as needed.
wl1 likes this.

Mike Lang
Administrator
Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.
Join the AVS Club and help support the site. Help Support AVS Forum Sponsors.
post #1810 of 4208 Old 04-18-2013, 06:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Is it fair to say that your fork is now further advanced than "Fork1"?

If that is the case, maybe a new Sourceforge site can be used to keep things in check. It all sounds a little precarious otherwise - and you have done too much good work for others not to benefit.

It is easy to get the first post modified, I believe it can be re-assigned by a moderator.

I'd like to keep the sourceforge structure as-is and I don't think it will create any problems as long as you update the OP to point to my version as the current up-to-date executable. It is very easy to merge my code into John's master branch if he decides to take it up again and this way everyone can see the entire evolution of the code and the current links by various contributors other than myself are clear.
post #1811 of 4208 Old 04-18-2013, 07:14 AM

Liked: 12
Sorry to ask but did a osx version become available?
And although I know it's a budget meter,does this work with spyder4 ?
post #1812 of 4208 Old 04-18-2013, 08:12 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillycargt4cs View Post

Sorry to ask but did a osx version become available?
And although I know it's a budget meter,does this work with spyder4 ?
No
Yes
sillycargt4cs likes this.
post #1813 of 4208 Old 04-18-2013, 01:12 PM

Liked: 10
Not sure where else to ask this.. i picked up a colormunki yesterday and was playing around in HCFR, it picked it up and worked fine.. was just wondering if i need to calibrate it or anything as far as the program goes.. Main reason i ask is that i was using the calibration for dummies guide and he talks about having to calibrate some meters to the software before using..

Or any other specific settings i should be aware of for the munki in this sw? thanks much
post #1814 of 4208 Old 04-18-2013, 02:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpml View Post

Not sure where else to ask this.. i picked up a colormunki yesterday and was playing around in HCFR, it picked it up and worked fine.. was just wondering if i need to calibrate it or anything as far as the program goes.. Main reason i ask is that i was using the calibration for dummies guide and he talks about having to calibrate some meters to the software before using..

Or any other specific settings i should be aware of for the munki in this sw? thanks much

With HCFR 3.0.4.0 and 3.0.4.2 the calibrate feature is disabled for the colormunki due to the slower read times (due to firmware) in the lower ire 10%-40% which keeps it steady and accurate.

It is possible to enable the calibrate feature for the colormunki with the new argyll code for HCFR which also adds more meter support and stability but its up to our buddies Zoyd or JohnAd if they chose to implement it.

So for the colormunki, just chose a spectral sample from the dropdown box (HCFR 3.0.4.2 only) there are all the display choices to pick LCD,LED,Plasma,OLED,RG Phosphor.

I have a plasma so I just pick the plasma spectral from the drop down box and make sure I have my preferances set and I'am on my way
wl1 likes this.
post #1815 of 4208 Old 04-18-2013, 03:39 PM
wl1
Advanced Member

Please re-read the Opening Post - I have now got write access to this. Please PM me with anything you would like to see added in, with links. Or if you see any mistakes, let me know, thanks.

Wayne.

smile.gif
Stuntman_Mike likes this.
post #1816 of 4208 Old 04-18-2013, 04:04 PM

Quote:

With HCFR 3.0.4.0 and 3.0.4.2 the calibrate feature is disabled for the colormunki due to the slower read times (due to firmware) in the lower ire 10%-40% which keeps it steady and accurate.

It is possible to enable the calibrate feature for the colormunki with the new argyll code for HCFR which also adds more meter support and stability but its up to our buddies Zoyd or JohnAd if they chose to implement it.

So for the colormunki, just chose a spectral sample from the dropdown box (HCFR 3.0.4.2 only) there are all the display choices to pick LCD,LED,Plasma,OLED,RG Phosphor.

I have a plasma so I just pick the plasma spectral from the drop down box and make sure I have my preferances set and I'am on my way

Thank you peter:)
post #1817 of 4208 Old 04-18-2013, 04:48 PM

Hi,

So there's something I really don't understand at all in the "calibration report" images provided in TFT Central reviews. This one from the Dell U3014 review is a very good example:

The issue I have with this report is that, the way I understand the basic principle behind DeltaE, it really doesn't make any sense to me. Let me explain. DeltaE is the perceived difference between two colors. So, as I understand it, when we say that a measured color has a DeltaE of 3 (for example), it means the perceived difference between the measured color and the reference color is 3.

However, before we make this comparison, we must agree on a well-defined reference. For example, in the right part of the report, I'm assuming that the green bar is the RGB triplet (0, 255, 0). Which, for sRGB primaries, means (0.3,0.6,0.7153) in xyY coordinates. So, assuming I'm right so far, the green bar is the deltaE between the reference sRGB green primary (xyY 0.3,0.6,0.7153) and the actual measured color for the green primary (RGB 0, 255, 0).

Now here is where I get really confused by the report: according to the gamut on the left part, the measured green primary (top corner of the black triangle) is completely off the sRGB primary (orange triangle). Indeed, the measured green is way too much saturated. This means that the DeltaE for the green primary should be huge (at least 10, probably much more). Yet according to the right part, the green primary has a DeltaE happily sitting around 0.1 or so!

Again: the left part (gamut) tells us that the green primary is grossly oversatured with regard to the reference (sRGB). The right part (bars) tells us that green is just fine with a DeltaE of 0.1. So which is it? Is green completely off or is it spot on? This looks completely inconsistent to me.

The only way I can explain this is that the DeltaE bar on the right part of the image is not calculated with respect to sRGB, but to some other reference. In which case I would very much like to know what this reference is.

I'm asking this question because I recently acquired two Dell U3014s and a i1 Display Pro colorimeter. However, I've been unable to reproduce the results in the review for these two monitors. The review is showing near-perfect results with the sRGB factory calibrated mode and hardware calibration, with insanely low DeltaE values (average well below 1.0). The results I got with my brand new colorimeter and the HCFR Calibration software are much more pessimistic, with e.g. DeltaE between 5 and 9 for the primaries, even after the hardware calibration procedure. I'm desperately trying to understand why my results are much worse than what they should be, and while trying to compare the numbers I got with the calibration reports in the review, I realize that I'm unable to interpret any of them because, according to my understanding of DeltaE, they don't make any sense.

Can anyone help me share some light on this?
post #1818 of 4208 Old 04-18-2013, 04:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Please re-read the Opening Post - I have now got write access to this. Please PM me with anything you would like to see added in, with links. Or if you see any mistakes, let me know, thanks.

Wayne.

smile.gif

Not to be the grammar police but in your post in page 1 you wrote "Fund" instead of "Found" people might be misunderstood and think that you have to donate.

Also could you please add Masciors calbration disc found here in the forum as its free and works great with HCFR to your post on page 1.Thanks.
wl1 likes this.
post #1819 of 4208 Old 04-18-2013, 05:03 PM

Just curious.. i havn't been able to find a copy of DVE, but have been using the AVS hd 709 for calibrating.. are the pluge/gray level images just as good on the avs one? or on masicors? and yes i know this is offtopic for this thread.. i just happened to be here:)_
post #1820 of 4208 Old 04-18-2013, 11:53 PM
wl1
Advanced Member

Quote:

Not to be the spelling police but in your post in page 1 you wrote "Fund" instead of "Found" people might be misunderstood and think that you have to donate.

Also could you please add Masciors calbration disc found here in the forum as its free and works great with HCFR to your post on page 1.Thanks.

Updated - thanks.

To keep the thread clean and prevent unwanted notifications to others, PM is preferred.
post #1821 of 4208 Old 04-19-2013, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-t172 View Post

Can anyone help me share some light on this?

I agree the cal report picture makes no sense but this is not an HCFR issue so you might want to post as a general calibration topic for more visibility.
post #1822 of 4208 Old 04-19-2013, 09:43 PM

Ok.. i think im setting something wrong. i have been using hcfr for about 20 hours of the last 3 days and i cannot get my pj right, and have a couple of quick questions..

First my main issue.. my pj (hc6800-POS) in gamma has low/mid/high rgb controls..but according to my meter they are working at 0-30-50IRE with no control over 50.. Also my luminence below 50IR is at least in the ballpark, over 50 it goes way up. I was curious if it is possible to have something set wrong and throw the scale off, as in the meter talking to HCFR..

My setup is a Colomunki, when i do a new profile i choose xrite1 display pro, colormunki display. Below that I have checked do not use a correction file. When the argyll meter page i have Display type 1id3 non refresh

Reading type: Projector

Under Spectral sample i have as i wasn't sure if i should pick one or not..

I just wanted to verify if these sound correct? thanks guys...
post #1823 of 4208 Old 04-20-2013, 03:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
After a timely and welcome prod from Wanye I thought I'd give a quick update.

I have been away from AVS for a while, for some reason my thread subscripitions hadn't been updating and so I though it had all gone quiet.

I still don't have the time I used to for hacking away but I do have some time and it would be a shame to see things fragment.

Thanks very much to zoyd for continuing to work on the project, I've made you an admin on the hcfr project on sourceforge and will be in touch about some other things I'll give you access to.

I'll merge in zoyd's changes and release an up to date version on the main project site very soon.

Going forward there are a number of things I was in the middle of doing which I can share but can't promise to finish as well but I should really discuss that on the developer mailing list rather than here.

Also there have been a number of major changes to the argyllcms code that will take a while to absorb.

Anyway, it will take me a while to plough through the posts I've missed, I can't beleive it's up to 61 pages.

Thanks

John
wl1, Stuntman_Mike and Make73 like this.

My Company - Upsilon Software
Free Projects - DScaler & hcfr fork
post #1824 of 4208 Old 04-20-2013, 06:26 AM
Advanced Member

Welcome Back JohnAd....smile.gif

Glad to hear all is well.Zoyd has been doing a fantastic job while you were away.

John,GraemGwill from argyll has a new code/version1.1.5 with more meter support and stability and offers to enable the calibrate feature for the colormunki display,will you or zoyd be working on this to make it possible to update HCFR with this the new code implemented?

Thanks...Pete
post #1825 of 4208 Old 04-20-2013, 08:37 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 84
Nice to see you here John
post #1826 of 4208 Old 04-20-2013, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:

John,GraemGwill from argyll has a new code/version1.1.5 with more meter support and stability and offers to enable the calibrate feature for the colormunki display,will you or zoyd be working on this to make it possible to update HCFR with this the new code implemented?
I will be looking at this but there is quite a significant interface change and so I don't know how long this will take to integrate.
John

My Company - Upsilon Software
Free Projects - DScaler & hcfr fork
post #1827 of 4208 Old 04-20-2013, 12:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAd View Post

I will be looking at this but there is quite a significant interface change and so I don't know how long this will take to integrate.
John

Thanks John and Zoyd.We appreciate all your time and efforts.
post #1828 of 4208 Old 04-20-2013, 01:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 38
post #1829 of 4208 Old 04-23-2013, 06:27 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Is it possible at all to adjust your 0% gray with only 2 and 10 point controls or is that something that we can only work on with 11 or 21 points?

Just wondering as all of my calibrations show my 0% gray (black) in the percentage ranges of Red 75, Green 95, and Blue 240% in HCFR.

Or is that just the meter readings and nothing that can be adjusted anyways? Or is this how HCFR reads 0%?

Ed

PSN - eghill1125
post #1830 of 4208 Old 04-23-2013, 03:05 PM
wl1
Advanced Member

I would think your sensor is not accurate at that level (even without knowing which one), I know I always check both 0% and 10% by eye too, to check no tints exist.

What is your 10% reading? And have you noticed tints at low black levels with real content?
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page