post #61 of 69 Old 04-04-2012, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by sefmiller View Post

Why can't you calibrate a game's console? They have dvd players.

Good point, I sort of spaced on that. Happens when you've only had nintendo consoles.

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 69 Old 04-04-2012, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So, do people recommend calibrating a good benchmark dvd player, like the bdt210, and then copying the settings for other hdmi inputs.

Really I am not fussed about perfect calibrations. I just wan't my TV to look better and reduce the energy cost.
post #63 of 69 Old 04-04-2012, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So, do people recommend calibrating a good benchmark dvd player, like the bdt210, and then copying the settings for other hdmi inputs.

Really I am not fussed about perfect calibrations. I just wan't my TV to look better and reduce the energy cost.

Don't calibrate to reduce energy costs, that's not really going to be a significant factor, in fact you've probably more than offset it by the hardware you need to calibrate.

I would say say that method would be completely fine. What Pro-Calibrators do if they are charging for multiple inputs is then after doing that, would try to put patterns up on the actual source to test it, tweak it for all the reasons Phase700B talks about.

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
post #64 of 69 Old 04-04-2012, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:

Yes!

Doug

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #65 of 69 Old 04-04-2012, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sotti View Post

I would say say that method would be completely fine. What Pro-Calibrators do if they are charging for multiple inputs is then after doing that, would try to put patterns up on the actual source to test it, tweak it for all the reasons Phase700B talks about.

You cannot use the same picture mode twice though. So i don't see how you can do that.

Calibrating is not a quick process. Doesn't it take hours to tweak settings?

Thanks
post #66 of 69 Old 04-04-2012, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:

You cannot use the same picture mode twice though. So i don't see how you can do that.

Thanks

Each input has x number of modes but the values in the modes are dependent on the input. So movie on hdmi1 and movie on hdmi2 can have completely different values set. In the old days the modes were the same from input to input but that is no logger true on today's displays..

Doug

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #67 of 69 Old 04-04-2012, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks

That depends entirely on the display.

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
post #68 of 69 Old 04-04-2012, 03:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

Thanks

I can calibrate my Samsung plasma in around 75 minutes at this point when starting from scratch. I can do an LG is 45 minutes sometimes but not often. The Runco I did last week took me 8-10 hours to get perfect. It all depends on the display and your experience with it.

Chris Heinonen
Senior Editor, Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity,

Displays Editor,

Contributor,
and

ISF Level II Certified Calibrator,
post #69 of 69 Old 04-04-2012, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 147
A good reference level test disc for skin tones is Tree of Life, it has very natural looking skin tones, especially the baby after the 40 minute mark, because there is very little makeup involved and many shots are using 100% natural lighting (those 2 factors combined make it exceptional in skin tone accuracy). Even watching the DVE or S&M discs, you can see they are wearing makeup which kind of defeats the purpose of evaluating the skin tones by eye. Also Tree of Life uses fairly neutral lighting in many of the shots.

One thing you will be shocked by is how natural some of the skin tones look in TOL and then you throw in a different movie and the skin tones suddenly look like horse manure. It's mostly because of what people mentioned earlier, but the biggest reason is actually just the lighting in the scene of a movie.

For people wanting to calibrate their cable signal, sometimes you can still find an inactive channel (late at night) with some of the color patterns on there, especially if you have the local TV stuff on there. Also, I saw a calibration thing for free once on one of the On Demand channels, but don't remember where it was.

Typically, a television network, TV station, or other originator of video programming transmits SMPTE color bars together with a continuous 1000 Hz audio tone before sending program material, in order to assert ownership of the transmission line or medium, and so that receiving stations and intermediary telecommunications providers may adjust their equipment. You can do some parts of your calibration from those color bars, MAYBE, but they might be sending them in the old SD rec 601 format, no clue.

for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
-

**Current Projector Calculator** --

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --

Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page