My HDTV doesn't have Gamma calibration or CMS controls - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 02-15-2012, 12:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I know there are external video processor solutions such as Video EQ and DVDO Duo that can calibrate the monitor display signal externally before it reaches the TV...

However, those external video processors can be very expensive!

1) Is there an HTPC solution for my Gamma-less & CMS-less HDTV calibration dillemma?

For example, my ASUS monitor doesn't have Gamma settings, but my AMD Catalyst software on my computer could adjust Gamma settings.

I'd probably have to have an HDMI tv tuner for my HTPC (does that even exist, or did I just make it up?)

2) Is there an inexpensive solution for external video processing for TV's which lack Gamma and CMS controls for calibration?

3) Should I just return my TV and buy another TV that has Gamma/CMS controls? Would that be cheaper compared to say Video EQ/DVDO duo?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-15-2012, 07:19 AM

Some receivers have processing if you pass the HDMI signal through them.

If you're not happy with the picture however and you can't adjust it to your liking it sounds like you should consider a model that can.
post #3 of 8 Old 02-15-2012, 08:23 AM

Liked: 12
The video processors would probably run about 1200 and up so yes, returning the tv and getting one that has greyscale and CMS would most likely be cheaper. It doesn't have to be high end tv for those controls, my budget LG 50PW350 which is a 720p plasma tv that went for about 750 (for 50inch) has 20 point greyscale and "CMS" (the CMS doesn't work quite right).

I think Samsung and LG tvs tend to have these controls. The other question is whether you need them or not. Have you checked your tv with a meter? My friend's SONY tv doesn't have CMS but his primaries are very close to perfect and closer than I can get my LG with the CMS...granted his tv cost twice as much as mine for a 46in.

My projector only has basic greyscale controls (only RGB bias controls), a few gamma options, and some brilliant color options. But using just these can get me to 2.2 gamma.

The onkyo txnr809 has isf controls, plus it's a pretty awesome receiver for the price you can get it for. If you need a receiver as well then that might be an option. I've seen refurb 809s for 650. I bought a refurb 709 for 450.

post #4 of 8 Old 02-15-2012, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 254
madVR has 3DLUT capabilities which should allow you to calibrate your display. This will only work with pre-recorded content though. (DVD, Blu-ray etc.)
post #5 of 8 Old 02-15-2012, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 80
You can try to make the most of the settings you do have.

The color and tint controls can do something to correct color.

And even the brightness and contrast combinations can alter gamma.

If you have bias and gain controls for RGB you can change gamma.

Your source device may have some gamma adjustments. I recently noticed my Blu Ray player had some gamma controls called video options. I bet they just clip though so it's best to leave those alone... however... they could be useful, maybe.

-Brian
post #6 of 8 Old 02-15-2012, 10:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 32
In my experience, the CMS systems on the Samsung displays tend to work the best, with the most adjustments, and the most accurate results. LG works OK I find, but you can only get the colors so accurate with them. With the processing in the Onkyo receivers, it will do a colorspace conversion internally that will cause you to lose chroma resolution when it does anything to the video signal. This loss of information is less important than being able to get the gamma or grayscale correct, but it still happens if you use those controls.

Getting everything right in the display is certainly the easy way to go. The 50" Samsung plasma I bought for $1,200 three years ago has a CMS that works well, and can be calibrated to near reference standards. Newer models with 10 point grayscale controls, if they work correctly, would be able to fix the issues that I have in it.

Chris Heinonen
Senior Editor, Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity, www.hometheaterhifi.com
Displays Editor, AnandTech.com
Contributor, HDGuru.com and Wirecutter.com
ISF Level II Certified Calibrator, ReferenceHomeTheater.com
post #7 of 8 Old 02-15-2012, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter

I'll just Calman 4 + i1Display 2 it tomorrow... if that stinks even with service menu adjustments, I'll just return it for an Samsung...

OOH QUICK QUESTION!!

DVDO iScan Duo has this "upconversion" upscaling, thingy... So if i have like cable input... does it make it into 1080p HD?

Cuz right now with my Sharp 60" TV, if it's not 1080p, then it looks really ugly. So does DVDO iScan like solve my problems =-O
post #8 of 8 Old 02-15-2012, 02:37 PM

Liked: 12
To a point, yes. But you'll never get standard def to look like HD unless the processor has a tiny warlock inside to cast upscaling spells. The upconversion/scaling from a dedicated video processor will almost surely beat what's in your tv.

I actually notice that SD from my cable box looks better when passed through my receiver which uses the Marvell Qdeo chip. Still looks ugly compared to HD but less ugly.

I was looking at the DVDO iscan duo, but my displays are 3D and that processor only has hdmi 1.3 outputs. The thing goes for 1000.00. So you might want to compare what you can do with the DVDO iscan with a tv that's 1000 bucks more expensive than the one you bought.

BTW what tv did you buy?

Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page