Frustrated with Sharp Elite - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 02-16-2012, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok. I've posted several threads here regarding the calibration of my Sharp Elite. I have spent hours attempting to get my primaries on, but the green and blue start inside the CIE triangle in THX mode. In moving them close to reference spots, I have to make some rather wide swings in the hue, sat and luminance. Now I have a lumagen so I'm wondering if maybe it is scrunching my color space due to something I'm missing. My questions are this:

1) Are the lumagen color patterns by default at 100%? If so, is there an option to decrease them to 75%. I see no mention in the manual.

2) Has anyone else, who has attempted to calibrate the Elite in THX mode, seen this as well? Did your primaries (green and blue) start inside the triangle, and if so how did you fix it?!

Please, some wise person here assist this suffering soul before my wife divorces me.

Thanks!

Edit: The reason I think it's something I'm doing is because this is what they were in THX low temp for the "pre" when I had the set calibrated by an esteemed calibrator. If you look my primaries were pretty close initially. Could it be the basiccolor discus does not see the wide gamut?

drury_quick_cms_pre[1].pdf 154.7138671875k . file
Attached Files
File Type: pdf drury_quick_cms_pre[1].pdf (154.7 KB, 2 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-17-2012, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 293
With the blue on these, it starts off to the right (magenta) side of blue. Turning the blue tint to eliminate that magenta hue undersaturates the blue. If you then try to turn up the saturation, the blue shifts back to the right, and you're not much better off than where you started. If you continue down that path you will have huge swings of the controls with little to no benefit.
Green does turn out great, though.
I would never trust an enhanced colorimeter to be exact, unfortunately. They have their uses... Specifically, profiled off a spectro on the exact same set it's used on, giving faster and better readings at 20% and below than the reference spectro. I would definitely trust the PR-655 of your pro calibrator over any colorimeter on everything above 20% and CMS.
post #3 of 4 Old 02-17-2012, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
The solution to the problem involved my stupidity. My BasicColor Discus (enhanced version from SpectraCal) does not have the tables for the Sharp Eilte. It did not know how to handle that yellow pixel.

I used my EyeOne Pro as a reference and BANG. Two days of effort solved in one instant.

Thanks.
post #4 of 4 Old 02-17-2012, 10:18 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pannus View Post

The solution to the problem involved my stupidity. My BasicColor Discus (enhanced version from SpectraCal) does not have the tables for the Sharp Eilte. It did not know how to handle that yellow pixel.

I used my EyeOne Pro as a reference and BANG. Two days of effort solved in one instant.

Thanks.

Not an Elite owner, but I just ordered an i1Pro to use as a reference for my i1D3 for the same reason - persistent color shift on a TV that the vendor had no specific cal file for.
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page