post #31 of 32 Old 04-27-2012, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by sotti View Post

Not necessarily. This is a limitation of the PC, when correctly calibrated you won't see BTB or WTW. Calibrating from a PC isn't like calibrating from a DVD player or a pattern generator totally different rules apply.

Use my settings and figure out on the TV how to make that look good. Playing video content below 16 will be clipped, desktop content will go down to 0. Since the pluge patterns don't work you'll have to concentrate on making just above black level (18,19,20 for a DVD/video or 2,4,6 on desktop content) just barely visible.

This is why shy away from recommending people using PC sources, they are overly complex and have a different set of rules compared to a standard consumer electronic device.

Thanks, sadly I just don't see the PC going anywhere anytime soon. As a matter of fact, it's becoming more dominant in a home theater room.

What else can beat the HTPC in terms of convenience, flexibility, integration, upgradability, etc. I see the standalone players becoming obsolete just like the ways of the compac discs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 32 Old 01-17-2014, 06:53 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
sotti: is it correct to say that Dynamic Range should be set to the opposite of what the playback software outputs?

(EDIT: updated from earlier, factually-flawed posting.)
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page