Samsung service menu color management - AVS Forum
Display Calibration > Samsung service menu color management
RAZZ 1's Avatar RAZZ 1 06:44 AM 03-01-2012
I am calibrating a Samsung UN22D5000NF and the primary colors need to be adjusted. I have entered the service menu then went to advanced and entered the code 0000. I now have the 2D and 3D menu options. In 2D and 3D, there is an option called colormapping where I think I need to access the color controls, but there is nothing there to adjust. It's just a blank menu. Is there still another code to get to this part of the SM?? Are the controls for the color adjustments some place else?? This is just getting frustrating and would really appreciate any help you guys could bring to the table!!

Lee Bailey's Avatar Lee Bailey 10:24 AM 03-02-2012
I would recommend that you procure a service manual online before you attempt any setting changes in the Service Menus!

You may also want to search around on the other user forums for your particular display Here.

Read the User Manual. You can adjust most of the settings you are looking for there. You have to be in Standard or Movie mode to access that area.

Normally, SM codes are not discussed on the calibration forum.
RAZZ 1's Avatar RAZZ 1 11:08 AM 03-02-2012
Yes I do have a service manual for this display. However it doesn't show any adjustments for primary or secondary colors. It doesn't list colormapping anywhere in the manual either but I have it in my service menu. I would imagine there is an adjustment somehow but I may be wrong. Anyone with a clue?
Lee Bailey's Avatar Lee Bailey 11:17 AM 03-02-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAZZ 1 View Post

Yes I do have a service manual for this display. However it doesn't show any adjustments for primary or secondary colors. It doesn't list colormapping anywhere in the manual either but I have it in my service menu. I would imagine there is an adjustment somehow but I may be wrong. Anyone with a clue?

The information I got from the user manual is from the one posted on Samsung's support website for this display. You get r/g/b adjustments for the primaries in the MENU->Picture->Advanced Settings(hit Enter).

Again, you have to be using Movie or Standard as the Picture Mode.
You can also perform 2-point White Balance adjustments.

Of course, the adjustments you make there may only take effect when you are in Standard or Movie Mode.
PlasmaPZ80U's Avatar PlasmaPZ80U 11:25 AM 03-02-2012
Quote:

I am calibrating a Samsung UN22D5000NF and the primary colors need to be adjusted. I have entered the service menu then went to advanced and entered the code 0000. I now have the 2D and 3D menu options. In 2D and 3D, there is an option called colormapping where I think I need to access the color controls, but there is nothing there to adjust. It's just a blank menu. Is there still another code to get to this part of the SM?? Are the controls for the color adjustments some place else?? This is just getting frustrating and would really appreciate any help you guys could bring to the table!!

only the 600/6000 series and higher have the CMS in the user menu; I don't think the CMS is present in the service menu on your set, though you could check if you have the latest firmware to see if it makes a difference
RAZZ 1's Avatar RAZZ 1 11:25 AM 03-02-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Bailey View Post

The information I got from the user manual is from the one posted on Samsung's support website for this display. You get r/g/b adjustments for the primaries in the MENU->Picture->Advanced Settings(hit Enter).

Again, you have to be using Movie or Standard as the Picture Mode.
You can also perform 2-point White Balance adjustments.

Of course, the adjustments you make there may only take effect when you are in Standard or Movie Mode.

I will certainly check this out. I may have passed the setting up last night or was not in the proper picture mode. Thank you so much for your time Lee!!!
RAZZ 1's Avatar RAZZ 1 08:06 AM 03-03-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post

only the 600/6000 series and higher have the CMS in the user menu; I don't think the CMS is present in the service menu on your set, though you could check if you have the latest firmware to see if it makes a difference

Yes...unfortunately I'm starting to believe there is no way to adjust the color decoder on this display. In the user menu under advanced you can turn the drives on and off individually but can't adjust them there. So back to square one.
RAZZ 1's Avatar RAZZ 1 08:12 AM 03-03-2012
I'm also curious about this N/D ADJ on, off, or fixed. Any ideas what this is for?
buzzard767's Avatar buzzard767 08:39 AM 03-03-2012
Quote:

I'm also curious about this N/D ADJ on, off, or fixed. Any ideas what this is for?

Samsung seems to change the options every year. On & Off are self explanatory and Fixed grays the settings when you return to the user menu. It's best to use the ON function because entering the SM resets some of the settings so when they're grayed you can't tell what you have. In short, calibrate but do not return to the SM unless you have the settings written down.
Chad B's Avatar Chad B 09:08 AM 03-03-2012
Quote:

They engage cal day and cal night modes and add them to the available user picture presets.
Be careful with those- they can be buggy. For instance, you can have everything calibrated perfectly in cal day and then switch inputs, then switch inputs back and black level is wrong.
Then if you cycle through the picture modes the cal day is suddenly correct again.
There can be other bugs with the cal modes depending on the model.
BTW, I'm not sure which bugs if any your model may have; I'm just giving a hypothetical example of a real bug.
Movie doesn't suffer from these bugs, so I usually use movie instead of the cal modes.
PlasmaPZ80U's Avatar PlasmaPZ80U 09:29 AM 03-03-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad B View Post

They engage cal day and cal night modes and add them to the available user picture presets.
Be careful with those- they can be buggy. For instance, you can have everything calibrated perfectly in cal day and then switch inputs, then switch inputs back and black level is wrong.
Then if you cycle through the picture modes the cal day is suddenly correct again.
BTW, I'm not sure which bugs if any your model may have; I'm just giving a hypothetical example of a real bug.
Movie doesn't suffer from these bugs, so I usually use movie instead of the cal modes.

When I had a LN32D550, the brightness setting (black level) changed by one click when it was set to FIX instead of ON. Not a huge difference, but still odd. I wouldn't be surprised if something else changed as well and I simply didn't notice it.
RAZZ 1's Avatar RAZZ 1 09:47 AM 03-03-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad B View Post

Great thanks Chad. This is my first Samsung, and I'm really not familiar with there SM or there abbreviations. This one is certainly a learning experience.
Up
Mobile  Desktop