DIY Calibrators? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 03-02-2012, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm a newbie, so I apologize in advance if this post is not appropriate in any way. I just bought a Sharp 70LE732U and I can't get the picture quite right yet. I posted some questions about calibration, and then received a couple of PMs from members who offered to calibrate my TV for free if I lived in their area. Apparently, they wanted the training. Unfortunately, I don't live near them, but that got me thinking whether there may be others in a similar situation. I would be happy to have someone in my area calibrate my TV for free rather than spend $400 or so. Is there a thread on this somewhere?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 03-02-2012, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 99
I would be willing to drive up from Philadelphia but at close to 250 miles, gas and tolls would be pushing $100, not to mention the 5+ hours driving..
Having a DIY where are you Sticky would really be nice for us DIYer looking for experiences..
post #3 of 12 Old 03-02-2012, 01:59 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Only issue with that is, it's YOUR display! What recourse do you have if the person that is calibrating for free messes up your display? Is it just "Oh, sorry about that. Not sure what to do. Maybe the forums can help. Good luck!" You generally get what you pay for. Unfortunately, the vast majority of the time, there is no way around it.

Shawn Byrne
Erskine Group
HAA Design Certified -THX Certified Professional

Design-Video & Audio Calibration Information

The original Pro Theater Layout
post #4 of 12 Old 03-02-2012, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraMikeBravo View Post

Only issue with that is, it's YOUR display! What recourse do you have if the person that is calibrating for free messes up your display? Is it just "Oh, sorry about that. Not sure what to do. Maybe the forums can help. Good luck!" You generally get what you pay for. Unfortunately, the vast majority of the time, there is no way around it.

Good point, but couldn't I just have it calibrated professionally at that point, as I was going to do anyways? I would be careful enough to make sure the person had some experience first.
post #5 of 12 Old 03-02-2012, 02:17 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky7 View Post

Good point, but couldn't I just have it calibrated professionally at that point, as I was going to do anyways? I would be careful enough to make sure the person had some experience first.

Depends. I interview the client as well in addition to them interviewing me to determine the state of the display and equipment attached to it before I provide a quote. More work equals more money. Just my two cents. And experience is what matters to begin with. Equipment counts, but it's what you do with that equipment and experience that matters most. There's a reason why its "free".

Shawn Byrne
Erskine Group

post #6 of 12 Old 03-02-2012, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 128
As long as they don't enter the service mode, most displays have a reset button.

ISF Calibrator

Pioneer Kuro Elite Pro-111FD
Pioneer Kuro BDP-320

Displays are like 100% cotton t-shirts. Always buy a size larger than you think you'll need, as they tend to shrink over time.
post #7 of 12 Old 03-02-2012, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Depends. I interview the client as well in addition to them interviewing me to determine the state of the display and equipment attached to it before I provide a quote. More work equals more money. Just my two cents. And experience is what matters to begin with. Equipment counts, but it's what you do with that equipment and experience that matters most. There's a reason why its "free".

HAHAHA there is that circle "I need the car to get a job, but I need a job to get a car" .. " I need experience to get a job, but I need a job to get experience"
If the DIY calibrator does not enter the service menu how will he brick the set? If all else fails, hit the reset!

Yes, you are correct, some people get involved in things they know they shouldn't and have no business being involved in, but then again, just because you pay someone does not mean they will make it right or the way you want it. I would venture a bet that a free calibration performed by a DIY Enthusiast would be far superior to a calibration done by BB or other Drive by calibrator that charges for the service.

The reason there are so many DIY people is they have been screwed to many times paying so call pros to do work for them. Just watch Holmes on Homes..
post #8 of 12 Old 03-02-2012, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 128
DIYers will not have the expertise or equipment of a professional, but as long as your expectations are reasonable (and there is a reset button) give it ago. Learning is fun.
If you don't like the results, you can always return it to the original settings, or call a pro.

ISF Calibrator

Pioneer Kuro Elite Pro-111FD
Pioneer Kuro BDP-320

Displays are like 100% cotton t-shirts. Always buy a size larger than you think you'll need, as they tend to shrink over time.
post #9 of 12 Old 03-02-2012, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsskid View Post

DIYers will not have the expertise or equipment of a professional, but as long as your expectations are reasonable (and there is a reset button) give it ago. Learning is fun.
If you don't like the results, you can always return it to the original settings, or call a pro.

That was my thinking. Thanks for the input.
post #10 of 12 Old 03-02-2012, 05:29 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes View Post

Yes, you are correct, some people get involved in things they know they shouldn't and have no business being involved in, but then again, just because you pay someone does not mean they will make it right or the way you want it. I would venture a bet that a free calibration performed by a DIY Enthusiast would be far superior to a calibration done by BB or other Drive by calibrator that charges for the service.

The reason there are so many DIY people is they have been screwed to many times paying so call pros to do work for them. Just watch Holmes on Homes..

Tis' true. Actually, I believe there are so many DIY calibrators now because decent software and equipment has become affordable (relatively speaking). Wasn't the case about 3 to 4 years ago.

Shawn Byrne
Erskine Group

post #11 of 12 Old 03-02-2012, 05:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Tis' true. Actually, I believe there are so many DIY calibrators now because decent software and equipment has become affordable (relatively speaking). Wasn't the case about 3 to 4 years ago.

For sure if the i1D3/C6 had not come along I would still be on the sidelines wishing. Next year if I am still into this as heavy as I am now, an i1pro spectro will be in my Christmas stocking to profile with.
I was just in that 1 day ISF Crash Course on Wednesday and there was only one guy in that class that was a pro and he worked for a company and has to do basically drive by work do to what the company demands. The rest of the guys were a mix of a few DIYs and High end installers that had never done calibration.. They install $100,000 theaters and stick a SM disk in and set contrast and brightness.. done..
post #12 of 12 Old 03-02-2012, 05:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes View Post

Quote:

It's a bit of each in my case. I became a DIYer after a totally failed BB calibration and went beyond after the introductions of excellent affordable software and meters. If you're willing to spend the time you can do very acceptable calibrations, and if you're willing to spend some extra money you can get certified for business purposes.

Buzz
THX Certified Video Calibrator

Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page