USB Calibration? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 03-03-2012, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is it possible to use one of the free calibration videos on a USB. I have the PN51D6500 and I'd like tocalibrate, unfortunately I don't have a ps3, xbox or dvd player.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-04-2012, 06:01 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Kind of surprised that no one answered, but here goes with my very limited knowledge.

You calibrate whatever input you are going to use to watch on your TV. So if you are going to use the USB connection for TV viewing, then you can calibrate through the USB connection. You would use the AVCHD mp4 version.
However, that wouldn't necessarily work for the other inputs, as they would need their own calibration. So download all the versions and have them ready when you get a DVD/Bluray player.

I used the mp4 version to calibrate my WDTV Live on input 1, then I used the Disney WOW DVD for my DVD player on input 2. If and whenever I get a BD player, I already have the AVCHD BD or the HDMV BD version to calibrate that.
post #3 of 6 Old 03-04-2012, 06:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 109
I just bought the highly recommended Panasonic 210 Bluray player form Amazon, it was only $133 delivered. Here is the review, the reviewer is an active member here on AVS.
http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/blu-r...e-theater.html

This is a really nice player, the AVS disk works perfectly with it, unlike my older Samsung.

To your Original question, you could attempt to adjust the USB input as you suggest and then copy those settings to your OTA/Cable input. They will probably not be correct but you might get lucky. You won't hurt anything an only gain experience with your sets controls and how to set them once you do get a suitable input device.
post #4 of 6 Old 03-04-2012, 07:32 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes View Post

I just bought the highly recommended Panasonic 210 Bluray player form Amazon, it was only $133 delivered. Here is the review, the reviewer is an active member here on AVS.
http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/blu-r...e-theater.html

This is a really nice player, the AVS disk works perfectly with it, unlike my older Samsung.

To your Original question, you could attempt to adjust the USB input as you suggest and then copy those settings to your OTA/Cable input. They will probably not be correct but you might get lucky. You won't hurt anything an only gain experience with your sets controls and how to set them once you do get a suitable input device.

Yeah, mad props to that SlapBunny guy.
post #5 of 6 Old 03-04-2012, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 235
There have been many discussions on too calibrate or not to calibrate the individual inputs. I think the general feeling is that one, it's difficult to reliably do, and two, it probably doesn't make a difference. The best bet would be to get a good BD player (I too have the Panasonic BDT-210) and calibrate (or do an Accurate Picture Adjustment) your display device (tv) with the AVS or other suitable disk, making sure that all picture enhancements and processing are disabled on the BD player as well as the tv. I transferred the HDMI Input1 settings to my OTA input and the pq was, and still is, excellent. Did the same thing for the HDMI Input 2 for my AppleTV2 and the results were the same.
post #6 of 6 Old 03-04-2012, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Why would anyone think the USB input to a disc player would be any different than the output of the disc player? This is digital video (or still) imaging. If the disc player has an error when playing a disc, it would have the same error when playing video or still images from a USB input. It's difficult to believe any player would bother to intentionally treat the USB input differently than the signal retrieved from a disc. It would be extra effort and extra cost to do so.

Then there's the problem of the source of whatever you are going to input via USB... you don't know WHAT has happened to that source before it got on your USB device. It could be very accurate or very inaccurate... you have no way of knowing. You can't "calibrate an input" when everything going through that input is different.

"Movies is magic..." Van Dyke Parks
THX Certified Professional Video Calibration
ISF -- HAA -- www.dBtheatrical.com
Widescreen Review -- Home Theater & Sound
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page