video source for calibration - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 03-10-2012, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I had some time today, and checked the calibrations on my tv's. When I was done I tried using different sources from my Panasonic Blu-ray (BD655) using the AVC709 disk, and from my laptop using the HCFR patterns, and CalMan Pattern Generator. This was done one after the other, all on the same HDMI input on my plasma set. No changes were made to the set. The video output from the laptop was set to factory defaults before I began.

Comparing the data, I see some differences in the data, mostly in the gamma levels, the color luminance, and the total light output. RGB seems to be very close one to the next.

Double checking to be sure all software setting were the same, I still see differences in the data from the different sources. To verify what I am seeing, I repeated the readings on another set, an LCD.

Which source do I trust as the correct one, and most accurate? If all the sources should be the same, what have I missed configuring them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-10-2012, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by vega509 View Post

I had some time today, and checked the calibrations on my tv's. When I was done I tried using different sources from my Panasonic Blu-ray (BD655) using the AVC709 disk, and from my laptop using the HCFR patterns, and CalMan Pattern Generator. This was done one after the other, all on the same HDMI input on my plasma set. No changes were made to the set. The video output from the laptop was set to factory defaults before I began.

Comparing the data, I see some differences in the data, mostly in the gamma levels, the color luminance, and the total light output. RGB seems to be very close one to the next.

Double checking to be sure all software setting were the same, I still see differences in the data from the different sources. To verify what I am seeing, I repeated the readings on another set, an LCD.

Which source do I trust as the correct one, and most accurate? If all the sources should be the same, what have I missed configuring them?

The BR player, the laptop video card is not going to put our reference video. The BR play may or may not as well. There are several threads on this subject but I don't recall the titles. Try searching Panasonic 210 which is a player that has been bench marked and puts out reference level video.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/blu-r...e-theater.html
post #3 of 5 Old 03-10-2012, 11:20 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks Doug.
glad to know I'm not seeing things.

I take it the pattern generators built into these software packages are not accurate due to the video cards output. I can see their only use would be for calibrating the PCs display and little else.

I wonder how many people are unknowingly calibrating their sets with these pattern generators. The automation is a great feature, and is what prompted me to try them. I'm glad I compared the results, or I may have used them in future calibrations. They sure do simplify, and speed up the process.
post #4 of 5 Old 03-11-2012, 01:49 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It is not that a laptop can't be trusted, you just need to make sure either you or someone else check its output.

For example, I believe CalPC uses DirectX to generate the pattens, instead of relying on often broken video decoding of GPU's which can screw things up.

Founder | BullsEye Calibration | www.bullseyecal.co.nz
post #5 of 5 Old 03-11-2012, 06:40 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

703, correct me if I'm wrong, I don't have CalPC, I'm still at ver 3.7 of CalMan, but I thought CalPC and and the CalMan Pattern generator were pretty much the same as output goes.

None the less, how would I check the laptop video output, or the Blu-Ray players for that matter. The differences are not small, and I feel its important to know for sure which source is right, or at the least more accurate. As a hobbyist, I cannot justify the cost of a professional pattern generator.

Has anyone compared the output of CalPC against a pattern generator or reference Blu-Ray player?

I have used my DVD and Blu-Ray players for all the calibrations I've done in the last 6 years. Looking through some of the threads here sparked my curiosity as to automating the process.

thanks
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page