Getting experience - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 03-11-2012, 06:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 99
As a DIY Enthusiast I am always looking for sets to calibrate. I have had a lot of fun and gained some experiences (be it dated a bit but still applicable) with CRT set.
If you are out of sets to work with, check your local criags list. People are now giving way CRT TVs. No one (at least in my area) is paying anything for them. In the past month I have picked up 7 27" sets for free form various manufactures. You get to do all the user level adjustments, and with a little searching you can find the access to the service menu. I managed to find access to 5 of the 7. You get experience working with the service menu, you can turn off red and green to do the blue only adjustment, you can set 2 point gray scale and see how well these old blocks of led track with just a 2 point.
Once complete, you post them on craigs list as another curb alert, noting they are fully calibrated, set them out and they are gone in and hour!
Please note, anything bigger than 27" will require 2 people to move.. unless you are King Kong..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 03-26-2012, 01:09 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
COOL idea! I have a couple of sets, but the only serious modern one is a Sony 929. I am looking for problems to work out of without any real need to have an outcome someone would pay for. I can always get a liveable picture on the sets I have owned. I admit, the service menu has not been part of my sandbox, but later down the road, when I get bored with user menus. It would be incredible to find out just how much customization I can do, once I understand what I am trying to accomplish by doing so.

General question: with normally working TVs, is there any real advantage to playing in the service menu? Does it mainly help with TVs that have no W/B access? Also, it seems like I have read some changing / creating two "pro" modes (essentially copying something and renaming it). Is this doable? Last crazy question, for now, if you are into audio as well -Do you happen to know if similar root level changes can be made on AV receivers? I would really like to change the parameters on each of the surround modes to more accurately create a sound field. I bought a new Denon 4310 to replace a dead (non-hdmi) Denon AVR. The old AVR allowed me to have separate levels for each mode (DTS/Dolby, 5.1, etc.). It said it does that in the new receiver manual, but it is simply not the case and they removed it from the online manual after I brought it up. My gripe is that it took so long to get an answer that the feature was removed, and, at least, that model no longer does that, I could not return it. I can have separate basic calibration settings for each input, but not speaker levels. How do pros handle this? Macros and remotes?

Thanks,
T.
post #3 of 3 Old 03-31-2012, 01:55 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Great suggestion, Thanks!
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page