JVC RS65 dim after calibration? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 03-20-2012, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I had my JVC RS65 calibrated to rec.709 reference standard on the weekend. It was done on Cin1 setting and HIGH lamp, it looks great but:

1. The picture is now very dim on HIGH lamp, in fact its dimmer than using any of the default settings on NORMAL lamp. Does anyone have answers to this, could something have gone wrong with the calibration or can this often happen?

2. All B&W films have a green tint to them with the calibrated setting, when I switch back to any of the JVC default settings, B&W films look correct and the green tint goes, again what might be wrong here?

This is the first time I have had a projector calibrated, so I like my picture are a bit green at the moment.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 03-20-2012, 12:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 29
What mode were you using before calibration? If it was a mode that used one of the high brightness color temps or gamma settings then it will be dimmer now. With the RS45 uncalibated I could get around 45 ftL on my screen but it was very blue. After calibration is was around 32 ftL so doing a full calibration can take away a lot of light, but they only get it that bright in the first place by having a very inaccurate image.

Chris Heinonen
Senior Editor, Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity, www.hometheaterhifi.com
Displays Editor, AnandTech.com
Contributor, HDGuru.com and Wirecutter.com
ISF Level II Certified Calibrator, ReferenceHomeTheater.com
post #3 of 11 Old 03-20-2012, 12:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Chris, 45 and 32 fL ???

President, Lion Audio Video Consultants Inc.
Lead THX Video Standards Instructor
post #4 of 11 Old 03-20-2012, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smackrabbit View Post

What mode were you using before calibration? If it was a mode that used one of the high brightness color temps or gamma settings then it will be dimmer now. With the RS45 uncalibated I could get around 45 ftL on my screen but it was very blue. After calibration is was around 32 ftL so doing a full calibration can take away a lot of light, but they only get it that bright in the first place by having a very inaccurate image.

Before calibration I was using Picture Mode Natural, Colour Profile Standard, Gamma 2.4 and HIGH lamp. The screen on 16:9 is 110" AT 1.16 gain. I also use a Schneider anamorphic lens for scope, all readings were done only on 16:9 without the A lens. The picture was really bright with pop!

The calibrator told me I had 13.2 ft-L (16:9 HIGH) on my old setting and
D65 calibrated setting has 9 ft-L (16:9 HIGH)

These readings don't sound correct to me as my old setting looked really bright, but the new setting is dim. The new setting is dimmer on HIGH lamp than any of the JVC settings on NORMAL lamp.
post #5 of 11 Old 03-20-2012, 09:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Loewen View Post

Chris, 45 and 32 fL ???

I was setting up a mode for watching the Super Bowl with ambient lighting. Usually I ran it at 16 ftL is low lamp mode. I was just using as an example of how much brightness can drop post calibration. It was more than bright enough calibrated to show the game.

Chris Heinonen
Senior Editor, Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity, www.hometheaterhifi.com
post #6 of 11 Old 03-20-2012, 10:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smackrabbit View Post

I was setting up a mode for watching the Super Bowl with ambient lighting. Usually I ran it at 16 ftL is low lamp mode. I was just using as an example of how much brightness can drop post calibration. It was more than bright enough calibrated to show the game.

What mode, screen size and gain are you using to get 16ftL on low lamp?
My screen at 1.16gain and 110" isnt that large to only get 13.2ftL on high lamp before calibration and only 9ftL after.
post #7 of 11 Old 03-21-2012, 11:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapalloAV View Post

What mode, screen size and gain are you using to get 16ftL on low lamp?
My screen at 1.26gain and 110" isnt that large to only get 13.2ftL on high lamp before calibration and only 9ftL after.

That was with a 96", 16:9 screen, 1.3 gain. Low light mode, I think the iris slightly closed but I'd have to find my notes. On the prior models, the RS40 had more light output than the RS50 and RS60, so it could be the same with the RS55 and RS65 this year as well. I was getting 32 ftL, high lamp, calibrated on this screen so that is WAY more than you are getting, but I also got 43ftL+ uncalibrated.

Chris Heinonen
post #8 of 11 Old 03-21-2012, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I might have to ask my question on the RS55/65 thread.
post #9 of 11 Old 03-29-2012, 02:55 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My RS10 also got a too dim picture after calibrating. It turns out its the gamma that is wierd. I have a thread on it on page 2.

If I use my calibrated colors but the "normal" gamma then the pitcure is close to my Kuro plasma. If I try and calibrate the gamma then it becomes way way too dark (faulty).

I had to just leave the gamma curve in the bad default way and only change the rgb-levels in each point (not moving the point itself) to get a good greyscale tracking and still have correct punch in the picture.

I'm detective John Kimball!!
I'm a cop you idiot!!
Now, I'm going to ask you a bunch of questions... and I want them answered immediately.
-What's your question Sir?
-Who is your daddy, and what does he do?
post #10 of 11 Old 03-30-2012, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 196
I just reviewed an RS65 and had none of the problems you are having. I calibrated User1 mode for 2D and User2 mode for 3D. I have 16 fL on a 1.0 gain screen (only 6-feet wide though) with Contrast at -2, iris at -9, and Normal lamp mode... there's a LOT of light available to make a larger screen brighter without going to High lamp more. And there's no green tint to b&w images. It just doesn't sound like you got the right sort of calibration... sorry to say. And with the settings described above... the grayscale and color errors are VANISHINGLY small... tiny tiny tiny. Many grayscale and color errors round to ZERO they are so low.

"Movies is magic..." Van Dyke Parks
THX Certified Professional Video Calibration
ISF -- HAA -- www.dBtheatrical.com
Widescreen Review -- Home Theater & Sound
post #11 of 11 Old 03-30-2012, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Blackburn View Post

I just reviewed an RS65 and had none of the problems you are having. I calibrated User1 mode for 2D and User2 mode for 3D. I have 16 fL on a 1.0 gain screen (only 6-feet wide though) with Contrast at -2, iris at -9, and Normal lamp mode... there's a LOT of light available to make a larger screen brighter without going to High lamp more. And there's no green tint to b&w images. It just doesn't sound like you got the right sort of calibration... sorry to say. And with the settings described above... the grayscale and color errors are VANISHINGLY small... tiny tiny tiny. Many grayscale and color errors round to ZERO they are so low.

I will have a chat to the guy that did my calibration, Im sure there is something wrong.
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page