How to calibrate what the colorimeter doesnt? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 04-02-2012, 08:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Before using the colorimeter I assume I should adjust the other settings on the monitor such as backlight, sharpness, saturation, brightness and contrast? Then after I adjust those to get them to proper levels then I use the colorimeter to get the colors correct?

What do I use to get those to the proper levels? Do I just use any online chart that has the brightness/contrast scales on it? And how do I know where to set the saturation?

Is there a calibration workflow I should be following? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 04-02-2012, 09:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Brightness is the black level, you need a pluge pattern. The goal is to turn brightness up till you see below black, then turn it down till below black and reference black are the same.

Contrast you start at max, you need a visual contrast pattern. You want to see to 254, if you can see 254, check to see if the ramp discolors. Turn down contrast till you can see 254 and the ramp doesn't discolor.

Sharpness needs a specific crosshatch sharpness pattern. Then you turn sharpness up and down till you don't see any ringing on the pattern and the lines don't blur.

Backlight you can actually use the meter to set, but basically you want backlight bright enough for the ambient light but low enough to have dark blacks. typically that means 120-200cd/m in a room with ambient light.

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page