Sammy plasma- calibrate to 2.35 gamma? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 04-04-2012, 05:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Baby calibrator here... I have a Sammy plasma - PN50C6500. I've been able to calibrate it nicely to a nearly flat gamma of 2.21(Calman, Accupel HDG3000, i1Pro). I thought I could also set up a 2.35 gamma for dark viewing, but ran into a variety of issues. I started with : Movie Mode, Warm2, HDMI Low, Gamma slider at 0. Dropping the gamma slider to -1, -2, -3 got me closer to 2.35, but I lost my BTB pluge even with Brightness slider maxed out (and the offets for all three drives were nearly 0). I could get bit closer by changing to Warm1, but still had no BTB pluge with Brightness slider at max. The only setup that seemed to come close was: change HDMI to NORMAL, Movie Mode,Warm1, gamma slider at -3. Offsets are near minumum, gains mid-range. I also used the 10-pt GS to maintain linearity and to boost/decrease gamma at all intervals. I can detect the BTB pluge with the Brightness slider slightly less than max (92 or so). Peak white output is OK at 28 ftl, and the picture looks good, but I'm not sure that these settings are the best way to go. Has anybody tried to get a good 2.35 gamma on this (or similiar plasma) and did you need to go this far to get there? Any suggestions greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 04-04-2012, 05:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 314
my guess is that you shouldn't see BTB, brightness should be set to stimulate codes 17 and above. At least that's how it works on the D series, it clips below 16 and allows WTW (236-255) with YCbCr input.
post #3 of 3 Old 05-22-2012, 07:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
ellisda1,

You may want to consider changing the black tone to "darkest," using standard mode and normal tone, with brightness around 52 and contrast around 83. I use the large apl patterns during calibration to get more realistic settings. I set gamma @ -2 to get gamma level around 2.4. Also, please note that the cell light impacts gamma. Tonight I will be calibrating my PN50B450 to about 2.35.

Hope this helps,

Vincentfam
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page