Color space question - anyone with HTPC experience? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 04-06-2012, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I posted this in the HTPC section and haven't gotten a response. Has anyone calibrated televisions for people that use programs like XBMC or Plex? What's the correct way to handle this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-06-2012, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Windows xmbc or linux?

What's your video chipset?

Is the HTPC your only source or do you have cable/satallite to go with it?

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
post #3 of 7 Old 04-06-2012, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by sotti View Post

Windows xmbc or linux?

What's your video chipset?

Is the HTPC your only source or do you have cable/satallite to go with it?

Thanks for your reply. I'm using Plex on Windows 7. Plex is based mostly on XBMC Dharma code, so I'm assuming they behave the same. DXVA is turned on in Plex for both sets.

For the HTPC connected to the Panasonic p50st50, I'm using an ATI 5670 with Catalyst 12.1. For the Pioneer krp-500m, I'm using an ATI 5450 with Catalyst 12.1.

Each television also has Xbox 360s attached to them serving up Netflix and windows media center. On my Panasonic p50st50, video from both devices will travel through a Pioneer VSX-1020 receiver first and then to a single HDMI input on the television. On my Pioneer krp-500m, each device will connect directly to the television's HDMI innputs (not through a receiver). I will probably also have a PS3 connected to the krp-500m.

Here's my original post from the HTPC page:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockdown571 View Post

After all these years, I still don't fully understand color spaces. This is coming up again because I have a new tv on the way (a Panasonic p50st50). Right now I have a Pioneer KRP-500m. The Pioneer can accept YCbCr 4:2:2, YCbCr 4:4:4, RGB limited, and RGB full color spaces. I believe I currently have ATI CCC set to RGB full, and everything looks correct. I'm using Plex to playback Blu-ray mkv rips. I would still like to know if this is the best way to configure it.

The Panasonic arriving next week as I understand only has an YCbCr 4:2:2 and an RGB limited setting. In this case, what is the correct setting in CCC? On both of these televisions, correct blu-ray mkv playback through Plex is my most important goal. My understanding is these settings might need to changed depending on if you play PC games. I might play PC games on the Pioneer, but again, the most important thing is correct blu-ray playback through Plex.

post #4 of 7 Old 04-06-2012, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

So YCC encoding is a way they "can" compress data more easily.
YCC 4:4:4 doesn't use any compression it's functionally equivelent to RGB, just using a different encoding scheme. Both use 24 bits per pixel or 96 pixels for every 4 pixel block.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YCbCr

YCC 4:2:2 subsamples chroma. Instead of 96 bit for every 4 pixels, only uses 64 bits for 4 pixels. DVDs are encoded in 4:2:0 whch cuts it down to 48bits for every 4 pixels.

In my testing with ATI cards compared to reference pattern generators, the most accurate, most cross compatible format is YCC 4:4:4 with the dynamic range forced to 0-255.

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
post #5 of 7 Old 04-06-2012, 05:22 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Crazy... I was going to post a similar question! I made the mistake of deciding to play with my HTPC settings last night before watching a movie and ended up staying up too late after messing around so long and realizing I've overlooked quite a bit.

In my nvidia settings (Linux, nvidia 430 GT) I can select:

Color Space: RGB Color Range Full (0-255)
Color Space: RGB Color Range Limited (16-235)
Color Space: YCbCr444 (Color Range is set to limited and cannot be changed)

(In MythTV 0.25 you also need to select to have Studio Levels enabled which will prevent 16-235 being converted to 0-255)

My TV has HDMI options for:

Deep color (On / Off)
RGB Range (Full / Limit / Auto)

All that being said, for watching movies / TV would it be best to have the HTPC outputting YCbCr444 then have the TV set to RGB Range Limit? What about Deep Color?
post #6 of 7 Old 04-07-2012, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Deep color enables 10bit/12bit output, but I've never seen it actually work.

I like the idea of using limited range for the video driver ourput, that means the desktop is in the same range as your cable box, blur-ray, ps3, ect...

Then for the video settings you expand the content to 0-255 (but 0-255 is actually 16-235, since the desktop is being compressed).

With settings like that, video games, movies, general web browsing, will all match levels. So things should look correct.

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
post #7 of 7 Old 04-07-2012, 02:15 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by sotti View Post

Deep color enables 10bit/12bit output, but I've never seen it actually work.

I like the idea of using limited range for the video driver ourput, that means the desktop is in the same range as your cable box, blur-ray, ps3, ect...

Then for the video settings you expand the content to 0-255 (but 0-255 is actually 16-235, since the desktop is being compressed).

With settings like that, video games, movies, general web browsing, will all match levels. So things should look correct.

Hmmm... So are you saying in the HTPC output set it to limited (16-235) but on the TV set it to Full (0-255)? Interesting.

I had some issues with my settings in the past and using a black clipping and white clipping patterns I could not get a decent black / white point. No matter what I did I could not see below ~18 on the black clipping pattern and above ~233.

Now setting both HTPC output and the TV to 16-235 I can set the black level so I can just barely see 17 and the white level shows all the bars up to 255.
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page