Convergence issue: Sharp Quattron LC-60LE847U Quad Pixel Plus 2 (2012) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 04-10-2012, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Calibration noob questions... Is convergence a common issue on the larger 2012 Sharp Quattron sets (or even the older 2011 Quattron models)?

1. I find discoloration on the "Resolution" patterns of the AVSHD disc under misc patterns D. This includes overall discoloration and sometimes vertical or horizontal aliasing.

2. Using the Basic Settings pattern for overscan, I see discoloration on the AVS HD 709 boxes in the lower right (picture attached).

3. Even using the Convergence patterns (misc patterns C), I see convergence issues just on white lines against a black background.

4. What's interesting, if I turn off Quad Pixel Plus 2 and bump motion enhancement to 120Hz Low or turn it off, all patterns look absolutely perfect!?!

Is this the norm when it comes to these "features" and do most calibrators turn these "features" off? Should I take the Sharp back or will most sets in my price range (under $2000 and 55"-60") have these types of issues without turning off some settings?

Thanks in advance
LL

Premise, a FREE home automation program. Open-source Z-Wave Premise Module found here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-10-2012, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by etc6849 View Post

Calibration noob questions... Is convergence a common issue on the larger 2012 Sharp Quattron sets (or even the older 2011 Quattron models)?

1. I find discoloration on the "Resolution" patterns of the AVSHD disc under misc patterns D. This includes overall discoloration and sometimes vertical or horizontal aliasing.

2. Using the Basic Settings pattern for overscan, I see discoloration on the AVS HD 709 boxes in the lower right (picture attached).

3. Even using the Convergence patterns (misc patterns C), I see convergence issues just on white lines against a black background.

4. What's interesting, if I turn off Quad Pixel Plus 2 and bump motion enhancement to 120Hz Low or turn it off, all patterns look absolutely perfect!?!

Is this the norm when it comes to these "features" and do most calibrators turn these "features" off? Should I take the Sharp back or will most sets in my price range (under $2000 and 55"-60") have these types of issues without turning off some settings?

Thanks in advance

convergence is for old CRT's, not modern digital displays like LED/LCD/Plasma

you want to use the sharpness and overscan pattern to enable 1:1 pixel mapping (no overscan)

the aspect ratio/picture size option should let you select a mode that enables 1:1 pixel mapping
post #3 of 4 Old 04-10-2012, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 63
I also sat all those items as you describe (the HDNation videos on the AVS HD disc say to do this before starting)...

However, what about extra "features" such as quad pixel plus 2 and motion enhancement options? For example, the quad pixel edge smoothing feature seems to really mess up the edges of lines with single pixel width (such as those found on the lower corner of the overscan pattern).

Premise, a FREE home automation program. Open-source Z-Wave Premise Module found here.
post #4 of 4 Old 04-10-2012, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by etc6849 View Post

I also sat all those items as you describe (the HDNation videos on the AVS HD disc say to do this before starting)...

However, what about extra "features" such as quad pixel plus 2 and motion enhancement options? For example, the quad pixel edge smoothing feature seems to really mess up the edges of lines with single pixel width (such as those found on the lower corner of the overscan pattern).

if those features mess with the test patterns, I'd leave them off or in the position that doesn't affect them negatively
Reply Display Calibration

Tags
New Lc60le847u 60in Led Lcd 1080p 3d Tv 240hz Lc60le847u
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page