post #91 of 93 Old 05-23-2012, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post

My error still stands, I've tried 100 different things, about to email SpectraCal again to try to get meter replaced. I am not an all-out expert at calibration, but I am a programmer, so debugging isn't something I'm not used to doing. Maybe I missed something, but starting to doubt it.

My gray-scale reads on the RGB's could vary by as much a 40% at times. One simple way to test this I am guessing is just use a 50 IRE pattern, and have the C6 read it continously and automatically as if it were 10-100 IRE (even though it is only 50 IRE). Then look at the graphs over time after doing several reads. There are many ways to test, that is just one simple way. The reason I refer to this test, is because it requires making no changes away from defaults in the program (and you can mess with auto-synch or whatever without messing with other stuff), and you are introducing no extra variables and can easily see the variation in RGB reads at the same IRE from one read to the next. Most of the time I can keep the error under 10% (or even less), but the fact it EVER shoots off so much in a given hour of measuring is a big warning sign. I have done it on 3 different devices, in 2 rooms, on different screens, with different laptops, with different versions of the software, and in different combinations of settings.

If I set the meter to take 20 samples that would reduce the error, but that's not a good thing (not to mention how slow it is to take that many samples). The problem with this method is whenever you average error out that drastically, it would make any single giant reading less visible in the overall average, but it doesn't answer the question as to why those giant errors sometimes exist in a read based on a 3 or 5 sample read. On the first full 10 reads, I could get some repeatability success at times, but then it often varies. If it were normal for meters to read like this, then I'd say ok. Sure some repeatability variance is expected, but this looks to be too much.

So you are having this problem with the C6 correct? What type of display technology and what version of Calman?
I have seen mine do that in at 80 -100 on an old plasma but that was the only type of display that was really wild. My DLP was less than 2% at the 90 and 100. If you would like to try an older version of Calman I have most every release back to 4.2.1 and can post it for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 93 Old 05-24-2012, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 195
@coderguy

Have you tried using auto sync mode and raising the samples to at least 5? what display type are you trying to calibrate (and what target display type did you set the C6 to in CalMAN)?
post #93 of 93 Old 05-28-2012, 11:12 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Hi guys, just a few questions for those of you who really know this stuff..... I finally got around to working with the Calman software and the i1Display2 OEM kit. I just have a few questions:

My equipment is as follows:
Pioneer Kuro PDP- 6010- FD (Non Elite)
Oppo BDP 93 – (set to source direct, RGB colour space, deep colour Off)
Integra DHC 80.3 pre amp. (set to “source direct”, complete “pass-through” of HDMI signal from the Oppo)
(The Oppo is connected via HDMI to the Integra, from Integra HDMI out to the TV)

First I would like to know if it is ok to have the Oppo on source direct and on RGB colour space before commencing the calibration?

I found out quickly that my Kuro is limited in the adjustable functions it has, in fact all I have to play with in terms of colour settings is a colour temp ( low, mid, high), and a colour & tint bar. I used the "USER" mode as opposed to "Cinema" or "Standard", as that came closest to D 6503 with the (low) setting for colour temp.
See below for the other settings.

Contrast
Brightness
Color
Tint
Sharpness
Gamma

I assume that, although I can’t adjust colour with Calman itself because I have no (CMS) in the Kuro, I can still go through the process to see what readings/results Calman gives me for my display? Is this correct?

I was able to adjust brightness, contrast, sharpness and colour (blue Filter) using DVE & Spears & Munsil, as I have in the past before getting Calman. I was able to adjust for Gamma, using Calman. I actually had this one perfect, the graph line produced by Calman was almost one with the reference target line.

My question is, based on my display, what will I not be able to calibrate with Calman? Is it the grayscale and gamut only?

Thanks

Paul
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page