CalMan 4 issues... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 93 Old 04-13-2012, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 163
* PLEASE DO NOT ASSUME THE THREAD TITLE IMPLIES ACTUAL 'PROBLEMS' WITHIN CALMAN, AS A NEWER CALMAN USER IT IS ACTUALLY MORE OF A Q&A THREAD.

Hello,

I have read through the guide from the spectracal website and it offers no help here since it appears to be for an older version of CalMan that looks/functions different.

Just received meter today and when trying to take readings it just keeps taking the readings and does not allow me to manually change the patterns even though manual source is selected (blu ray player with AVS disc) and prompt for pattern change. What am I missing here? I see that I can set the speed but I want a prompt for when to change and to know what pattern it wants, does this not exist?

Thank You,
Jason

My Twitch Game Stream [PS4/Xone/PC]...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 93 Old 04-13-2012, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 169
The option is burried on the right hand side.

under the settings tab, the miscellaneous pop out window there is a check box for prompt for pattern change.

We are working on version 5 right now and I promise I'm trying to make things like that more obvious in a more sensible location.

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
post #3 of 93 Old 04-13-2012, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I already have that option checked but I get no prompt at all.

The internal patterns work as they should but obviously this is not ideal.

Thanks Joel,
Jason

post #4 of 93 Old 04-13-2012, 05:42 PM
AVS Special Member

I just tested it and it was working for me.

The tricky bit and once again, it's not intuitive, doesn't work the way I'd want it to and I promise it'll be fixed in CalMAN 5. It doesn't save with the application, it's acutally specific to the workflow. You have to reset the option anytime you load a new workflow.

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
post #5 of 93 Old 04-13-2012, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I closed CalMan and started over and now it's working.

Thank You!
Jason

post #6 of 93 Old 04-13-2012, 05:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Joel,

Do we have a way with CalMan to insure the internal patterns will yield accurate results from our gpu's?

I am set for YCbCr 4:4:4 as you suggested in another thread and then 0-255 in the video options.

Thanks again!!!
Jason

post #7 of 93 Old 04-13-2012, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp View Post

Joel,

Do we have a way with CalMan to insure the internal patterns will yield accurate results from our gpu's?

I am set for YCbCr 4:4:4 as you suggested in another thread and then 0-255 in the video options.

Thanks again!!!
Jason

Nope in fact we know it's a little bit off for ATI GPUs. But it's behind the driver so their isn't much you can do about it.

OTOH if all you watch is your HTPC, it's exactly the right thing to calibrate for.

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
post #8 of 93 Old 04-13-2012, 08:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Thanks Joel.

Regarding calibration only... do you still feel the best option is 4:4:4 out via the pc if the display does not handle 4:4:4 properly and not using pc for video playback (BD players are set for 4:2:2)?

I seem to recall you may have mentioned a bug in RGB but not 100% certain if it followed over to YCbCr.

I only use the pc for gaming and misc software, no video playback, we stream content through the house through BD players (DLNA) so I am more concerned with the playback on the standalone players / ps3 / xbox360 / etc.

Only been verifying and looking thus far but already very impressed with the i1D3. Hope to have the i1pro next week to add to the mix.

According to the i1D3/CalMan the Spyder 4 elite that I used had me at 6554K and other than Green (which was just outside but touching the edge of the box) all other colors were 50% in the box or totally in there (not too bad for the $, those C1's should be a cost effective and capable alternative).

Thanks once again Joel, it's fantastic to have such excellent support from the Spectracal team!
Jason

post #9 of 93 Old 04-13-2012, 09:03 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Blu-ray players can be 4:2:2,4:4:4 or RGB. Blu-ray's are encoded at 4:2:0 but have to be converted before being output. Players can do one, many or all of those and may not specify which. What model(s) are you using?

Chris Heinonen
Senior Editor, Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity,

Displays Editor,

Contributor,
and

ISF Level II Certified Calibrator,
post #10 of 93 Old 04-13-2012, 10:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smackrabbit View Post

Blu-ray players can be 4:2:2,4:4:4 or RGB. Blu-ray's are encoded at 4:2:0 but have to be converted before being output. Players can do one, many or all of those and may not specify which. What model(s) are you using?

Hey Chris,

I was actually only meaning PC output for calibration purposes regarding the 4:4:4 comments, not blu ray player output/playback.

I don't have any source direct players at the moment, so no 4:2:0 direct to display. I use 4:2:2 or Auto on most of my players due to the displays not handling 4:4:4 properly (tested). I have many bd players, Sony 1000ES, Sony S780, Sony S580, LG BD590, Samsung C6900, Panasonic BD35, PS3 phat, PS3 slim and of those I enjoy the 1000ES and S780 the most (I like the SBM).

Jason

post #11 of 93 Old 04-13-2012, 11:18 PM
AVS Special Member

No problem dropping to 4:2:2 for ATI, it's just that 4:2:2 subsamples the color. But if 4:4:4 causes issues with your display, 4:2:2 should be fine.

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
post #12 of 93 Old 04-14-2012, 06:18 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
post #13 of 93 Old 04-14-2012, 07:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hey Chris,

I was actually only meaning PC output for calibration purposes regarding the 4:4:4 comments, not blu ray player output/playback.

I don't have any source direct players at the moment, so no 4:2:0 direct to display. I use 4:2:2 or Auto on most of my players due to the displays not handling 4:4:4 properly (tested). I have many bd players, Sony 1000ES, Sony S780, Sony S580, LG BD590, Samsung C6900, Panasonic BD35, PS3 phat, PS3 slim and of those I enjoy the 1000ES and S780 the most (I like the SBM).

Jason

Source Direct, at least on a Blu-ray player, only means that the resolution and frame rate being output is the same as on the disc, so 1080p24 is still 1080p24 and 1080i60 is 1080i60. No consumer devices will accept 4:2:0 and nothing will output it, so you're getting 4:2:2, 4:4:4, or RGB out of the Blu-ray players. Auto will pick something based on the EDID of your display but that doesn't mean it will pick correctly. You're better off testing to see which colorspace is handled best and selecting that on your own.

With the Sony and Panasonic players you'll want to make sure they're in Standard mode, and not in Cinema or anything else, since that really screws up the color being output.

Chris Heinonen

Displays Editor,

Contributor,
and

post #14 of 93 Old 04-16-2012, 05:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Getting erratic behavior with the latest version of CalMan, checked the same meter with other software and appear to have no issues with the meter itself (brand new i1D3). Grey-scale readings are way off and I can go through the entire calibration process only to have readings shift at the final check. Yesterday I went through an entire cal and made sure it was as close to perfect as I could get it only to see CalMan telling me that on the final check my secondaries had all shifted (I did not touch the tint control). Two of the 3 had shifted right out of the boxes (Cyan and Magenta, Yellow was still mostly in the box but then it was delta 1.5 before I ran the final check). I have not tried a different PC as of yet but this is very odd behavior, are there any known bugs/compatibilities that could cause these types of issues?

Thank You,
Jason

post #15 of 93 Old 04-16-2012, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 112
you sure you were using your meter and not the simulated meter.. if you tried to remove the meter and then plug it back in without restarting calman you were using the simulated meter. Once you disconnect the meter (at least with the C6) you have to close calman (save date of course) restart, load data, and search for meter. May not be your problem but it is worth a look.

Doug

post #16 of 93 Old 04-16-2012, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 198
the top left corner of the screen should say the meter name, if it says simulated meter then your meter is not connected to CalMAN

post #17 of 93 Old 04-16-2012, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Not on the simulated meter guys but thank you for the suggestion.

I have gone through it 3 times and each time there was similar erratic behavior as I noted above, the last time I did it Green was shifted on the final read after having it near perfect (delta 1).

I don't know what's going on...

Jason

post #18 of 93 Old 04-16-2012, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Not on the simulated meter guys but thank you for the suggestion.

I have gone through it 3 times and each time there was similar erratic behavior as I noted above, the last time I did it Green was shifted on the final read after having it near perfect (delta 1).

I don't know what's going on...

Jason

what are your meter settings in CalMAN? including advanced settings?

post #19 of 93 Old 04-16-2012, 03:00 PM
Advanced Member

It's really pretty common for measurements to adjust themselves some as you change other settings. Either those are interacting with each other, or the CMS isn't the best designed, or something else. This is why you'll often correct the grayscale, then the gamut, then the grayscale again, then the gamut, until you're at the point that further corrections just lead to repeating the same cycle.

Just because it was perfect earlier in the workflow and now isn't doesn't mean that the meter or software are off, it's just how the calibrations go sometimes.

Chris Heinonen

Displays Editor,

Contributor,
and

post #20 of 93 Old 04-16-2012, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

PlasmaPZ80U,

Out the door now but I appreciate your time and will respond later.

Chris,

I fully grasp the concept of calibration and have been doing it for years with colorfacts and hcfr (just new to CalMan), I understand the way the settings interact and know that it is a balancing act. Thank you for the input just the same.

Yes this particular display does not have a perfectly implemented CMS, but...

I can literally get different reads from different points of the workflow in CalMan without changing a single setting. As well as settings that are very obviously more accurate with different software (same meter) yet are claimed to be way off via CalMan.

Jason

post #21 of 93 Old 04-16-2012, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Are you using black compensation in CalMAN? We discovered a pretty nasty bug with that switched on in 4.6.

Aside from that you might try switch the Display Pro's sync mode to auto.

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
post #22 of 93 Old 04-16-2012, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotti View Post

Are you using black compensation in CalMAN? We discovered a pretty nasty bug with that switched on in 4.6.

is that bug for the C6 too? I currently use that feature in 4.6.

post #23 of 93 Old 04-16-2012, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Black comp is flat out broken in 4.6.0

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
post #24 of 93 Old 04-16-2012, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Black comp is flat out broken in 4.6.0

well, the release notes say "Fixed Black Comp Offset"

is there a link the to calman forum where the issue is fully described?

I've been using it since the fix was made in one of the beta or RC versions and never noticed anything wrong.

post #25 of 93 Old 04-16-2012, 09:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Black level compensation is not enabled.

Will try the sync mode later, thanks Joel.

Jason

post #26 of 93 Old 04-16-2012, 09:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Black level compensation is not enabled.

Jason

what about the sync setting on the i1 Display?

typically if the readings are bouncing the two things to get them to settle down are toggling the sync setting or lengthening the exposure mode.

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
post #27 of 93 Old 04-16-2012, 09:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 147
I have a similar issue. Its unrelated to sync or toggling exposure time at least on my setup, those can knock the repeatability error back into place a little depending on the state of the severity of the bug at the time, if even assuming any of the numbers are correct when the bug exists (but the problem is more we don't ever for sure know what "the real numbers" are supposed to be). The concern is that such an error exists at all causing the software to read bigger errors then the hardware could possibly ever induce (sync or no sync).

@DG Pimp
I also have some repeatibiltiy problem that comes and goes and then have to reboot the computer and/or restart the app. I don't think I ever got it working 100% perfectly, but I got it working better somewhat (but impossible to judge bug accurately without a ref. level meter to profile). I had a support ticket in with Calman support, but I never had a chance to do everything they asked for my test. I've been meaning to try another PC again before I continue with the support ticket. Make sure you never run any other calibration software on the computer without first rebooting for CALMAN (or maybe ending task worked). It seems I reduced the issue by following some basic steps, but I don't think I completely eliminated it.

for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
-

**Current Projector Calculator** --

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --

post #28 of 93 Old 04-17-2012, 04:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

what about the sync setting on the i1 Display?

typically if the readings are bouncing the two things to get them to settle down are toggling the sync setting or lengthening the exposure mode.

Tried that, no luck, went through another full cal, on laptop instead of desktop (both Win7/64), following exactly what is suggested in the above linked guide and ended up with wildly off results (checked them with other software and they are very visibly off), there is definitely something screwy going on with the software or the meter (I don't think it's the meter since I get fairly solid results with other software but I may have to request a replacement just to be sure... IDK).

This is very irritating as I have an i1Pro on the way (here within the next few days) and was planning to purchase the spectro add-on license when it arrived, maybe not now since the software is so buggy for me.

Jason

post #29 of 93 Old 04-17-2012, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

One thing I'd be interested in is if it seems to be just an issue with this latest build.

You could try to see if 4.5 works better.

http://www.spectracal.com/downloads/CalMAN_v450.msi

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
post #30 of 93 Old 04-17-2012, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Thanks Joel, I'll give 4.5 a run and see if that works.

Jason

Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page