First time Calibrating my TV with HCFR - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 04-13-2012, 11:12 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
kanti123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 189
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Hello, I been lurking around the forum for awhile. I just bought a new Samnsung UN55D7000. Then I bought, DVE HD and Eye-One Display two. I followed HCFR guide, adjusting everything according to the tutorial. Here are the picture, hopefully you guys would correct me on what I should change.
kanti123 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 21 Old 04-13-2012, 11:54 PM
Advanced Member
 
CalWldLif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: South Bay'Los Angeles California.
Posts: 518
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanti123 View Post

Hello, I been lurking around the forum for awhile. I just bought a new Samnsung UN55D7000. Then I bought, DVE HD and Eye-One Display two. I followed HCFR guide, adjusting everything according to the tutorial. Here are the picture, hopefully you guys would correct me on what I should change.

10pt grey scale?
the low ires need the rgb increased and he high ires need to be lowered,.
gamma shows this.
also, 10 point should allow better balance then what I am seeing.

Loving D65
CalWldLif is offline  
post #3 of 21 Old 04-14-2012, 06:45 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
kanti123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 189
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Okay, how exactly do hey work. I see interval 1-10
kanti123 is offline  
post #4 of 21 Old 04-14-2012, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
kanti123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 189
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I could not get my gamma to flatten at all
kanti123 is offline  
post #5 of 21 Old 04-14-2012, 06:40 PM
Advanced Member
 
CalWldLif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: South Bay'Los Angeles California.
Posts: 518
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanti123 View Post

I could not get my gamma to flatten at all

if you have 10 adjustments for
w/b-grey scale, by lowering the
value for red, blue, green the same amount the gamma will increase. and if you raise them the gamma will decrease. so
0 ire raise the values of all RGB the same amount, 10 ire same, 20-50 ire sameamount.
60 ire lower all RBG do the same for 70-100 ire.
recheck, adjust, recheck.

be aware contrast and brightness will also affect the gamma. Read here in AVS for tips, tricks, general control responses info

Loving D65
CalWldLif is offline  
post #6 of 21 Old 04-15-2012, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
kanti123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 189
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalWldLif View Post

if you have 10 adjustments for
w/b-grey scale, by lowering the
value for red, blue, green the same amount the gamma will increase. and if you raise them the gamma will decrease. so
0 ire raise the values of all RGB the same amount, 10 ire same, 20-50 ire sameamount.
60 ire lower all RBG do the same for 70-100 ire.
recheck, adjust, recheck.

be aware contrast and brightness will also affect the gamma. Read here in AVS for tips, tricks, general control responses info

Thanks I went through all 1 to 10 interval this is the result I got. I also notice that each interval affects others. Gamma still mess up, also I think my I-1 Display two can't read 10IRE right.
kanti123 is offline  
post #7 of 21 Old 04-15-2012, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
kanti123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 189
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Here's the best I can do, I get all my Gamma close to 2.2 as possible. I can't lower my 80-100 IRE any more its max out, with out compromise my 100% IRE ftL(Y) value. Its still within 30-40ftL and my RGB is close as possible. Delta E is right below 3. As far as I know human eyes can't see the different below DeltaE value.
kanti123 is offline  
post #8 of 21 Old 04-15-2012, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member
 
PlasmaPZ80U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 7,277
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanti123 View Post

Thanks I went through all 1 to 10 interval this is the result I got. I also notice that each interval affects others. Gamma still mess up, also I think my I-1 Display two can't read 10IRE right.

you might be able to get 30% and 40% closer in terms of dE AND more importantly you should fix the gamma by moving all three colors up or down by the same amount at each step to get a much flatter gamma response
PlasmaPZ80U is offline  
post #9 of 21 Old 04-15-2012, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member
 
PlasmaPZ80U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 7,277
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanti123 View Post

Here's the best I can do, I get all my Gamma close to 2.2 as possible. I can't lower my 80-100 IRE any more its max out, with out compromise my 100% IRE ftL(Y) value. Its still within 30-40ftL and my RGB is close as possible. Delta E is right below 3. As far as I know human eyes can't see the different below DeltaE value.

looks much better
PlasmaPZ80U is offline  
post #10 of 21 Old 04-15-2012, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
kanti123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 189
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I had to put my gamma to -1 in advance menu to get it to that area. my 80-100 IRE is already at -10 for all RGB. Unless I lower gamma to -2. that would mess up my birghtness and contrass value. Does Backlight effects anything?
kanti123 is offline  
post #11 of 21 Old 04-15-2012, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member
 
PlasmaPZ80U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 7,277
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanti123 View Post

I had to put my gamma to -1 in advance menu to get it to that area. my 80-100 IRE is already at -10 for all RGB. Unless I lower gamma to -2. that would mess up my birghtness and contrass value. Does Backlight effects anything?

backlight can affect the color portion of the grayscale (RGB balance) somewhat, especially with large changes
PlasmaPZ80U is offline  
post #12 of 21 Old 04-15-2012, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
kanti123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 189
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Ah okay, I might experiment with Gamma boost abit. Maybe shadow control too.
kanti123 is offline  
post #13 of 21 Old 04-15-2012, 11:17 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
kanti123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 189
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Okay, I played with Gamma boost and such, Still no luck bringing IREs 40-90 to 2.2 gamma. Any suggestions?, I have already max my 10p white balance. The gammas ranged from 2.25-1.89 on the chart.

BlackLight: 7
Contrast: 92
Brightness: 44
Sharpness: 0
Color: 50
Tint: 50/50

Advance
BlackTone: Off
Dynamic Contrast: Off
Shadow Detail: 0
Gamma: 2
Expert Pattern: off
RGB only: off
Color Space: Auto (don't know how to work the custom)
White Balance

R-Offset: 24
G-Offset: 25
B-Offset: 20
R-Gain: 24
G-Gain: 25
B-Gain: 19

10P White balance: R|G|B
1: 1|1|0
2: 0|0|1
3: -3|-3|-4
4: -4|-3|-2
5: -10|-7|-5
6: -10|-9|-6
7: -10|-10|-8
8: -10|-10|-9
9: -10|-10|-10
10: -10|-10|-10
kanti123 is offline  
post #14 of 21 Old 04-16-2012, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member
 
PlasmaPZ80U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 7,277
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanti123 View Post

Okay, I played with Gamma boost and such, Still no luck bringing IREs 40-90 to 2.2 gamma. Any suggestions?, I have already max my 10p white balance. The gammas ranged from 2.25-1.89 on the chart.

BlackLight: 7
Contrast: 92
Brightness: 44
Sharpness: 0
Color: 50
Tint: 50/50

Advance
BlackTone: Off
Dynamic Contrast: Off
Shadow Detail: 0
Gamma: 2
Expert Pattern: off
RGB only: off
Color Space: Auto (don't know how to work the custom)
White Balance

R-Offset: 24
G-Offset: 25
B-Offset: 20
R-Gain: 24
G-Gain: 25
B-Gain: 19

10P White balance: R|G|B
1: 1|1|0
2: 0|0|1
3: -3|-3|-4
4: -4|-3|-2
5: -10|-7|-5
6: -10|-9|-6
7: -10|-10|-8
8: -10|-10|-9
9: -10|-10|-10
10: -10|-10|-10

to raise point gamma you need to lower the gamma setting, not raise it
PlasmaPZ80U is offline  
post #15 of 21 Old 04-16-2012, 02:37 PM
Advanced Member
 
CalWldLif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: South Bay'Los Angeles California.
Posts: 518
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanti123 View Post

Here's the best I can do, I get all my Gamma close to 2.2 as possible. I can't lower my 80-100 IRE any more its max out, with out compromise my 100% IRE ftL(Y) value. Its still within 30-40ftL and my RGB is close as possible. Delta E is right below 3. As far as I know human eyes can't see the different below DeltaE value.

you need to lower contrast to get good greyscale and gamma.
then raise backlight.

I have the impression you are trying to get too much Ftl with contrast alone.

Loving D65
CalWldLif is offline  
post #16 of 21 Old 04-16-2012, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member
 
PlasmaPZ80U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 7,277
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalWldLif View Post

you need to lower contrast to get good greyscale and gamma.
then raise backlight.

I have the impression you are trying to get too much Ftl with contrast alone.

to the contrary, contrast needs to be set in the low to mid 90s for Samsungs in order for the 10-pt controls to work properly
PlasmaPZ80U is offline  
post #17 of 21 Old 04-16-2012, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
kanti123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 189
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
My FTL is at 33 which is within the margin I believe
kanti123 is offline  
post #18 of 21 Old 04-16-2012, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member
 
PlasmaPZ80U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 7,277
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanti123 View Post

My FTL is at 33 which is within the margin I believe

you should definitely be able to get gamma much flatter and closer to 2.2 at each point

try lowering the main gamma control to give you more range with the 10-pt controls
PlasmaPZ80U is offline  
post #19 of 21 Old 04-16-2012, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
kanti123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 189
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Kk I will try that, I went ahead and buy CalMAN 4 for home user. So well see how that's go. I'm just curious, I see Alot of post talking about service menu. What is it may I ask
kanti123 is offline  
post #20 of 21 Old 04-16-2012, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member
 
PlasmaPZ80U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 7,277
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanti123 View Post

Kk I will try that, I went ahead and buy CalMAN 4 for home user. So well see how that's go. I'm just curious, I see Alot of post talking about service menu. What is it may I ask

no need to go in there, it's a hidden menu that contains internal settings in the TV

you can easily brick your set in there, especially on the Samsungs, so I wouldn't recommend going in there

movie mode in the regular user menu has everything you could need/want for calibration purposes
PlasmaPZ80U is offline  
post #21 of 21 Old 04-16-2012, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
kanti123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 189
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Ah thanks, Okay i'm still having trouble with this damn gamma. I am using Calman 4 now, my gamma still dipped at 50IRE. I have reset all my settings back to default and tried again. Still no luck.
kanti123 is offline  
Reply Display Calibration

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off