gradient banding question? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 04-15-2012, 10:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i apologize if this has been done to death (or if this is posted in the wrong forum), but i just had a small question on gradient banding.

i own an LG 50PV400 - and it's a really great TV - but i wanted to find out if there's a way to "eliminate" gradient banding? is it a matter of lowering the contrast/sharpness or would adjusting the IRE settings eliminate that (which i can't really do since i don't have the proper calibration tools to adjust those settings)?

i mean, how i have it set there's very little banding, but every once in a while i will notice some slight banding in the gradients. it doesn't necessarily bother me, but if there's something i can do to tweak the set a bit more to decrease the banding and improve the image quality, i'd be a happy camper.

thanks in advance for any of your suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-16-2012, 06:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 130
How did you come by your settings and are all the CMS color/tint settings set to 0?
I have the LK and if you attempt to adjust CMS settings you end up wit color banding.. at least I did..
post #3 of 8 Old 04-16-2012, 07:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 32
What sort of content are you getting banding on? Is it just on stuff like digital cable, where they could be overly compressing it to cause the banding, or on well done Blu-ray transfers as well? is it on any color gradient, or just certain colors? Is it only light gradients, or dark ones as well?

Really there are a lot of things that could cause this. It could be the source content has a lower bitrate and the gradient is showing up. It could be that an adjustment in the CMS (to colors, or gamma or grayscale) are causing the banding by not having enough bit depth to work with to do adjustments without these kind of issues. More information about when these issues are appearing would help to narrow this down.

Chris Heinonen
Senior Editor, Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity, www.hometheaterhifi.com
Displays Editor, AnandTech.com
Contributor, HDGuru.com and Wirecutter.com
ISF Level II Certified Calibrator, ReferenceHomeTheater.com
post #4 of 8 Old 04-16-2012, 10:45 AM

A question.

10-bit dithering applied from a radiance mini 3D can help reduce the banding of plasma low bit depth for color reproduction?

Or is something inside of the plasma display bit depth and color to create?

Excuse my English

Thank you very much
post #5 of 8 Old 04-16-2012, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes View Post

How did you come by your settings and are all the CMS color/tint settings set to 0?
I have the LK and if you attempt to adjust CMS settings you end up wit color banding.. at least I did..

i used the AVS rec. 709 disc. i have only adjusted the basic settings (brightness, contrast, sharpness). i have made minor adjustments to colour and tint, but i have not touched the CMS or IRE settings (they're all zeroed).
post #6 of 8 Old 04-16-2012, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smackrabbit View Post

What sort of content are you getting banding on? Is it just on stuff like digital cable, where they could be overly compressing it to cause the banding, or on well done Blu-ray transfers as well? is it on any color gradient, or just certain colors? Is it only light gradients, or dark ones as well?

Really there are a lot of things that could cause this. It could be the source content has a lower bitrate and the gradient is showing up. It could be that an adjustment in the CMS (to colors, or gamma or grayscale) are causing the banding by not having enough bit depth to work with to do adjustments without these kind of issues. More information about when these issues are appearing would help to narrow this down.

i've noticed while watching TV (digital cable), in the PS3 XMB and in the X360 guide. it doesn't seem to matter what colour, light or dark gradients.

i have not made any adjustments to the CMS or IRE settings. the gamma setting is set to the default "medium".
post #7 of 8 Old 04-16-2012, 07:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggurcat View Post

i've noticed while watching TV (digital cable), in the PS3 XMB and in the X360 guide. it doesn't seem to matter what colour, light or dark gradients.

i have not made any adjustments to the CMS or IRE settings. the gamma setting is set to the default "medium".

possibly not a calibration issue, try cinema or expert mode at defaults to check

also, do you see this issue on a BD movie?
post #8 of 8 Old 04-16-2012, 09:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post

possibly not a calibration issue, try cinema or expert mode at defaults to check

also, do you see this issue on a BD movie?

well, it's actually worse at the defaults.

i want to stress again that it's not exactly terrible banding to begin with - it's mostly really subtle - i was just hoping to be able to tweak the TV a little to lessen it a little further. i have a feeling, though, that i'd need to properly set the IRE and CMS to gain any improvements.
Reply Display Calibration