post #31 of 37 Old 04-22-2012, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post

do the basics for the cost of one blank DVD or BD disc. This will get you 2/3 of the way.

here we go with those percentages again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 37 Old 04-22-2012, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rednekcowboy View Post

Nah, it's all good now. I'm just starting to understand what is involved and things. Not saying at all that I think my adjustments are better than pro as I have no idea what pro would look like.

My mistake was to post in the wrong section, though I am glad now that I did because I am learning so much.

As far as the settings I currently have. I wasn't even going to bother with it as I will be swapping this set out with the 632U model, but after searching and finding very little info out there on the 630U model, I thought I would run through and do what I could and post the settings for someone stuck in a similar situation as I was. Just trying to be helpful, not meant to ruffle any feathers whatsoever.

yeah my response is a bit late, though I still wanted to reply to your initial post

good to hear that you're learning quite a bit here, that what's this forum is for
post #33 of 37 Old 04-22-2012, 03:45 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:

Hey Jason,

I do see what you are saying and am not on here to bash pro cal's either.

I am a little confused though as George makes pro calibration sound like an absolute certainty, however the more I'm reading I'm learning that there are various numbers of ways to calibrate, with various different tools and various different control sets. So, in conclusion, and please correct me if I am wrong, but Pro Calibration is in, by no means, an exact science and in the end comes down to the Pro doing the Calibrating and what they feel is the best tool, control set and numbers to use?

In fact, I could probably have 2 different guys come in here at 2 different times and produce 2 very different results on the same set, correct?

You are right in that two different calibrators would likely come up with two different numerical values for your settings. Would you be able to tell the difference visually? Not likely unless one was far off and performed with a meter, equipment, and/or software that was off in some way. Or the person doing it was not familiar with your TV or not experienced enough in how to do it and/or just did not care.

On your other observation. . . I agree. I've tried many times to communicate that things do not always come across very congenial in this thread and it doesn't encourage. You shouldn't have to be made to feel you are intimidated or attacked. . . or implied that you are a troll.

Good luck on you new TV!
post #34 of 37 Old 04-22-2012, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

In fact, I could probably have 2 different guys come in here at 2 different times and produce 2 very different results on the same set, correct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes View Post

This statement is what is known as trolling and is not correct at all.
If it was not meant as such and I don't think it was, please explain how and why 2 professionals with equal skill sets and equipment, working on the same set, in the same environment would come up with substantial different settings.

The Rec 709 Standard an exact science but consumer sets are not perfect and many times they can not reproduce the 709 standard perfectly. This is where the experience of the real pro comes into play. They have the knowledge to know what compromises will be lease noticeable to the human eye and how to work around manufacture limitation.

Just like all service providers, all pros are not equal and it is up to the consumer to figure out which one is the good one..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phase700B View Post

You are right in that two different calibrators would likely come up with two different numerical values for your settings. Would you be able to tell the difference visually? Not likely unless one was far off and performed with a meter, equipment, and/or software that was off in some way. Or the person doing it was not familiar with your TV or not experienced enough in how to do it and/or just did not care.

The differences that would likely result would be beyond human perception for things like D65 white point and Rec. 709 gamut. Variations in gamma and peak white (aka light output) would be far more common, since there is no one correct standard/value for those parameters, only recommended ranges that are pretty loose. Another area where variation may occur is setting contrast/white-level, where each calibrator may have different viewpoints regarding WTW content and where to clip, if at all.
post #35 of 37 Old 04-22-2012, 04:05 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Right. . . as I said, they would likely be numerically different but probably not able to tell the difference visually unless something was wonky.
post #36 of 37 Old 04-23-2012, 05:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 412
All of the best calibrators have had many experiences where we have to go after another calibrator and undo the mess that the original calibrator made.
Calibration is a mixture of science and art. There are always judgement calls that highly influence the outcome of the set. I have to agree with the original claim.

ISF/THX calibrator, HDTVbyChadB
Jeti 1211

Latest reviews:
Sony 65X950BLG 65UB9800Samsung UN65HU8550UN65HU9000, UN85HU8550, LG 55EC9300
post #37 of 37 Old 04-24-2012, 07:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad B View Post

All of the best calibrators have had many experiences where we have to go after another calibrator and undo the mess that the original calibrator made.
Calibration is a mixture of science and art. There are always judgement calls that highly influence the outcome of the set. I have to agree with the original claim.

So true! I still recall the significant improvements and corrections you had to make as a result of that local dude I had out on my Sony CRT RPTV way back in the day. At the time, I remember him telling me he was trying to reduce red color saturation push via grayscale among other things.

Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page