Gamut for samsung - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 04-19-2012, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
M trying to wrap my head around color gamut. As far as I know Color space is what Samsung call for CMS. when I use CalMAN, one of the step is to adjust the color space. When I move Red for example the red point would move. I had to move my Red from 50 to 100 to get it to the right point. And I think it's too much. so I need some explanation on it, the guide online didn't help much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2012, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanti123 View Post

M trying to wrap my head around color gamut. As far as I know Color space is what Samsung call for CMS. when I use CalMAN, one of the step is to adjust the color space. When I move Red for example the red point would move. I had to move my Red from 50 to 100 to get it to the right point. And I think it's too much. so I need some explanation on it, the guide online didn't help much.

what meter do you have? when I was using the standard D2 a couple years ago, it made the gamut visible worse post-cal on Samsung LN32B650 LCD TV with CMS

also, even if the meter is not error-prone reading the gamut on your display, you can make the actual picture worse with CMS if you do not know exactly what you're doing

if you could post some pre-cal and post-cal data and CMS and main color/tint settings, it would help answer your question/concern
Old 04-20-2012, 07:11 AM - Thread Starter

Im using Eye one display 2 for the meter. Right now I set my color space at auto. I tried to adjust it, something just don't feel right. I got my 2.2 gamma now thanks to your help. Had to read a lot and do lots of experiments.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:

Im using Eye one display 2 for the meter. Right now I set my color space at auto. I tried to adjust it, something just don't feel right. I got my 2.2 gamma now thanks to your help. Had to read a lot and do lots of experiments.

I previously owned 2-3 standard D2's/LT's and none of them were accurate enough to give me gamut results I would consider accurate when doing CMS adjustments. The enhanced X2 fared better. Having said that, you might be able to set color and maybe tint with the standard D2 and get results that don't look obviously wrong.

The blue primary was the most obviously wrong result when I used a standard D2 to do CMS on my Samsung B650 LCD. It appeared undersaturated and reddish relative to the way it looked in the 'Auto' color space and the meter told me that the blue primary post-cal was perfect with a dE of zero.
Old 04-20-2012, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter

So what's the accurate colorimeter that would let me accurately adjust my Color space?, I did notice blue showing undersaturated and red. I crank them up to 100 and still not helping.
Old 04-20-2012, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Cheapest way if you want to own the meter is to buy a Color Munki Spectro and spectro license. Forget the Colorimeter if all you have to do is a flat panel. You may be able to find a used i1pro for less if you are lucky as I did.
You can profile you D2 if you have a projector to do.

Or, Spectracal just started a rental program, you can rent the Color Munki for I think about $99, do the calibration and send it back. Just make sure you get a temp spectro license with the rental.

You could profile the D2, but by the time you use it again it may/probably will have drifted..
Old 04-20-2012, 12:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:

So what's the accurate colorimeter that would let me accurately adjust my Color space?, I did notice blue showing undersaturated and red. I crank them up to 100 and still not helping.

On my Samsung I can crank blue to 100 and it shifts by a fraction, if anything, so I just leave it alone. There is always the chance it jut can't be adjusted no matter what controls are available. Red was able to be fixed on mine but as it's a different model there is no way I can say for sure that yours can be adjusted.

Chris Heinonen
Senior Editor, Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity, www.hometheaterhifi.com
Displays Editor, AnandTech.com
Contributor, HDGuru.com and Wirecutter.com
ISF Level II Certified Calibrator, ReferenceHomeTheater.com
Old 04-20-2012, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

Alright, I'll play with it a little more before I dump 700 dollars on xRite pro on newegg.
Old 04-20-2012, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:

Alright, I'll play with it a little more before I dump 700 dollars on xRite pro on newegg.

Please keep in mind that you need the proper license for the type of meter and that is not free. I think the spectro license for Calman DIY is $150, it is not the same as the TriStim license
Old 04-20-2012, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter

I have license for CalMAN 4 DIY for 200, I am reading about i1 D2 color drifting. I just got mine last week, so hopefully its not drifted yet. Also, if I were to buy Spectrometer or colorimeter for my Samsung UN55D7000. What should I buy?