For those using a usb hub, which one(s)... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 04-23-2012, 12:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 153
I am curious if I need to use a powered hub when running an i1D3 + i1Pro?

I have used basic hubs that would not provide enough power to a portable hard drive even though that same hard drive connected directly to the same port on my laptop/desktop would function properly.

Am I likely to have an issue trying to run an i1Pro on a non powered hub (no external power supply) considering the i1Pro calls for a High Powered usb port?

Just attempting to simplify the process so everything is connected and ready without swapping cables around. Not even sure if CalMan allows for hot swapping cables/devices mid workflow (profiling).

So for those successfully using a hub which brand/model can you suggest that is usually available at local B&M stores (best buy, fry's, office max, office depot, staples)?

Thank You, very much appreciated!
Jason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-23-2012, 04:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 107
No idea on which hub, but can tell you if you unplug or click Disconnect the D3 (I assume it works the same as the C6) you will not be able to get Calman to see the meter without shutting down Calman and restarting it. Have not tried this with the I1pro yet so not sure how that acts.
post #3 of 8 Old 04-23-2012, 05:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Good info, thank you Doug!

I just figured out that if I use any other usb cable than the one that came with the i1Pro it fails one of the diagnostic tests. I bought a longer 10' cable that looks to be very well built and even connected directly to my desktop it fails a test. I also tried a 16' usb extension with built in repeater but no luck on that same test with the OEM usb cable. This is going to severely stink if I can only use the OEM with the i1Pro, it's not long enough for projection calibrations/profiling. There has to be a workable solution here...

Jason
post #4 of 8 Old 04-23-2012, 06:46 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Yes, you will likely run into an issue with the non-powered hub and the i1Pro. I use a powered USB hub from Plugable that I got for $20 or so at Amazon and it works like a charm. I find the powered hub to be nice as I can run a 25' USB extension to it and keep the PC further away from the screen and all the instruments.

Chris Heinonen
Senior Editor, Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity, www.hometheaterhifi.com
Displays Editor, AnandTech.com
Contributor, HDGuru.com and Wirecutter.com
ISF Level II Certified Calibrator, ReferenceHomeTheater.com
post #5 of 8 Old 04-23-2012, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Thank You Chris!

So you have tested the i1Pro with the diagnostics and everything (all tests) passed through the powered hub and 25' extension (are you also using the OEM usb cable with the extension)?

Thanks again,
Jason
post #6 of 8 Old 07-09-2012, 07:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smackrabbit View Post

Yes, you will likely run into an issue with the non-powered hub and the i1Pro. I use a powered USB hub from Plugable that I got for $20 or so at Amazon and it works like a charm. I find the powered hub to be nice as I can run a 25' USB extension to it and keep the PC further away from the screen and all the instruments.

@Smackrabbit:

I also just ordered the plugable powered usb hub... which 25' usb extension are you using ?

Thanks.

- M

calibration & profiling solutions: Lightspace, Spaceman, Calman, Argyll, ColorNavigator, basICColor
profiling & calibration workflow tools: Display Calibration Tools
meter: Klein K-10 A, i1Pro, i1D3
AVS thread: Lightspace & Custom Color Patch Set & Gamma Calibration on Panasonic 65VT60
post #7 of 8 Old 08-22-2012, 04:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 179
jason,

What was the resolution to your situation?

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #8 of 8 Old 08-22-2012, 09:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Jim,

I bought a 4 port Kensington PocketHub (aluminum casing) and it seems to work just fine even when using the 16' usb extension with repeater as I tested it with the i1 Diagnostics and all tests pass.

We came to find out that it might not even matter however since the only tests that fail due to substandard USB power are tests that do not concern us for HT use.

Jason
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page