setting contrast with disney wow and mits wd65-738 dlp - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 04-25-2012, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello I need some help setting my contrast . The problem is that on the disney wow disc for the contrast setting . I can get any of the stars to look white. There all gray. Even with the contrast at 100% . Do dlp tvs have poor contrast? Or is there something i am doing wrong. Thanks eveyone.

This being, that becomes;
On the arising of this, that arises.
This not being, that does not become;
On the cessation of this, that ceases.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 04-25-2012, 07:28 PM

Liked: 23
The forum have a pattern disc you can download. As far as I know, it's more accurate version to do by eyes. Try those see if that solve your problem.
post #3 of 12 Old 04-27-2012, 06:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
This is normal on some HDTV Panels.

See text below for full explanation.

Disney WOW World of Wonder
Beginner and Advanced
HDTV Calibration Instructions

Before you begin

On some HDTVs, you may notice a limited range of adjustment. This is by design on the part of the HDTV manufacturer. These limits avoid pushing the HDTV too far beyond ideal levels. Do not be concerned about the inability to exceed the limits indicated on the WOW test patterns. Your HDTV can be calibrated perfectly within the given range of adjustment.

SHARPNESS: The WOW Sharpness Tool is for very fine adjustment of your HDTV Sharpness setting. You must be very close to your HDTV in order to accurately calibrate Sharpness using this tool. Typically, a distance of 1 to 2 feet is recommended. Often, the correct Sharpness setting will be in the lower scale between 0% and 25% of the total adjustment range.

Using certain inputs on your HDTV, like PC, may restrict the number of adjustments you can make to your HDTV. For more information, please refer to your HDTV owner's manual or contact your HDTV manufacturer's customer service department.

The EXPERT section is not covered in this booklet.

This section is for use by Calibration Professionals and Studio Engineers. Without the proper equipment and experience, you may not be able to properly utilize all of the tests, demonstrations, or tools in this section.

--------------------

Let's Get Started

To calibrate your HDTV using WOW, follow these easy steps:
1. Select OPTIMIZE from the Main Menu
2. Select your skill level (BEGINNER, ADVANCED or EXPERT)

--------------------

BEGINNER:

Select VIDEO to Optimize your HDTV

Select INTRODUCTION for basic instructions on how to use the Calibration Tools to optimize your HDTV. Please press ENTER after reading the instructions to return to the BEGINNER Test Menu.

Choose the item you wish to calibrate (brightness, contrast, etc.).
For each item, you can select:
- DESCRIPTION to hear a description of the test
- INSTRUCTIONS to see/hear what the test pattern should look like
- CALIBRATE NOW to perform the actual calibration*
*Please refer to the HOW TO CALIBRATE VIDEO section of this Instruction Booklet.

Select AUDIO to Optimize your SOUND

This section is for use with sound systems using external speakers and an Audio/Video Receiver. Select INTRODUCTION to learn more about optimizing your SOUND. Please refer to your Audio/Video Receiver owner's manual for details on how to adjust speaker CONFIGURATION, LEVEL and DISTANCE settings.

Choose the Sound System you wish to calibrate (Stereo, 5.1, 6.1, or 7.1).

- CALIBRATE to perform the actual calibration*

* Some Audio Tools require that you use the SKIP, ENTER and/or ARROW buttons on your remote to navigate through the test.

The Audio tests vary depending on the number of speakers in your Home Theater System. Select the correct number from the list (Stereo, 5.1, 6.1, 7.1). Please note, the .1 is the subwoofer. If you do not have a subwoofer, just select the number based on how many speakers you have.

--------------------

ADVANCED:

Select VIDEO CALIBRATION TOOLS to Optimize your HDTV

Select your HDTV type. If you are unsure of your display type, please refer to your HDTV owner's manual.

Choose the item you wish to calibrate (brightness, contrast, etc.).
- INSTRUCTIONS to see/hear what the test pattern should look like
- CALIBRATE NOW to perform the actual calibration *
*Please refer to the HOW TO CALIBRATE VIDEO section of this Instruction Booklet.

CONTRAST: For the CONTRAST test pattern, you'll want the "Visible White Stars" to be visible without fading into the background. If you start losing the "Visible White Stars," your monitor is clipping, which is not optimal. In many cases, you will be able to see the Above White Stars on the test pattern. This is quite normal on many HDTV sets. The best setting in this case is to turn contrast up to the maximum possible level without losing "Visible White Stars" on the right side of the WOW test pattern and without introducing visible coloration (red, green or blue tint) to the Above White Stars. You may actually find that 100% contrast still does not clip or make the Visible White Stars vanish or add any visible coloration to the Above White Stars on the WOW test pattern. This would be considered your optimal calibrated setting.

Select DISPLAY EVALUATION TOOLS to Test your HDTV

Display Evaluation Tools can be used to check the operation of your HDTV. The DESCRIPTION and INTRODUCTION for each Display Evaluation Tool will describe the function and purpose of each test.

Select AUDIO SET-UP TOOLS to Optimize your SOUND

Select INTRODUCTION to learn more about optimizing your SOUND. Please refer to your Audio/Video Receiver owner's manual for details on how to adjust speaker CONFIGURATION, LEVEL and DISTANCE settings.

- If you do not have a Sound Pressure Level Meter (SPL Meter), please select SPL METER NOT REQUIRED.

Choose the Sound System you wish to calibrate (Stereo, 5.1, 6.1, or 7.1).

- CALIBRATE to perform the actual calibration*

* Some Audio Tools require that you use the SKIP, ENTER and/or ARROW buttons on your remote to navigate through the test.

--------------------

HOW TO CALIBRATE VIDEO:

On most HDTV remotes, a button labeled MENU should bring up a list of settings, options and controls for your HDTV. Typically, the controls you need to calibrate the video will be labeled PICTURE SETTING or VIDEO (brightness, contrast, color, etc.). Should you have any problems finding or accessing your HDTV Menu, please refer to your HDTV owner's manual for instructions.

Most HDTVs have factory preset combinations for brightness, contrast, color, etc., typically called PICTURE MODES. Each preset combination will have a descriptive name, like DYNAMIC, STANDARD, MOVIE/CINEMA, etc.

To achieve the best results, select the PICTURE MODE labeled MOVIE or CINEMA and make all of your adjustments using that Mode.

Once you have chosen the correct PICTURE MODE, go to the PICTURE SETTINGS or VIDEO (brightness, contrast, color, etc.) and make adjustments using the WOW disc and your HDTV remote. When you are finished with each setting, press the POP-UP button on your disc player's remote to return to the WOW Optimize Menu. On some remotes, this may be called the TITLE/POP-UP or MENU button. Once you return to the WOW Optimize Menu, you can proceed to the next setting. For best results, it is recommended that you perform the adjustments in the order they appear on the WOW Optimize Menu.

Please refer to your HDTV owner's manual to confirm whether you need to manually save your calibrated settings. (Most HDTVs will automatically save your settings.)

Now sit back, relax, and enjoy your new visual masterpiece!

PIXEL FLIPPER

This useful and unique tool will attempt to fix plasma burn-in and rescue stuck pixels. The tool cannot repair dead or defective pixels. Instructions for use are included on the disc.

--------------------

For more detailed instructions on the Calibration Tools featured on WOW, you can download the full instruction manual at the following URL:

http://disneydvd.disney.go.com/managed/WOW_Manual.pdf

-----------------------
©BVHE, Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtiswhite View Post

Hello I need some help setting my contrast . The problem is that on the disney wow disc for the contrast setting . I can get any of the stars to look white. There all gray. Even with the contrast at 100% . Do dlp tvs have poor contrast? Or is there something i am doing wrong. Thanks eveyone.

Richard J. Casey

Disney WOW - World of Wonder

Producers Guild of America, New Media Council
(BD Industry Insider)
post #4 of 12 Old 05-24-2012, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBFilms View Post

This is normal on some HDTV Panels.

See text below for full explanation.

Disney WOW World of Wonder
Beginner and Advanced
HDTV Calibration Instructions

Before you begin

On some HDTVs, you may notice a limited range of adjustment. This is by design on the part of the HDTV manufacturer. These limits avoid pushing the HDTV too far beyond ideal levels. Do not be concerned about the inability to exceed the limits indicated on the WOW test patterns. Your HDTV can be calibrated perfectly within the given range of adjustment.

Hello RB!

I have been trying to calibrate my Samsung E550 using the Disney WOW World of Wonder disk and ran into the problem mentioned above by curtiswhite about contrast. When I change my contrast all it does is change the screen from one shade of gray to another with no rhyme or reason. Did I miss something in the instructions about how to calibrate contrast when this happens? I never get the white level set to close to making any of the bars blend in with the background and the screen looks just gray. Hoping you can help, thanks!
post #5 of 12 Old 05-25-2012, 03:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Hi,

As it states in the instructions ... on HDTV Panels with a limited range of adjustment, you will find that you cannot push the white levels in to clipping.

For example, my Panasonic ST-30 calibrates with professional gear at a 100% contrast setting. I cannot get the grey stars to turn white at all. However, 100% is teh correct setting for my HDTV in the guest room.

So, if you can turn your contrast up to 100% without the grey stars on the right turning white (clipping) ... and you do notice a color shift or color tint on screen as you turn up the contrast (clipping) ... then your optimum setting is 100% contrast.

Also, make sure you turn off ALL of the Auto Yuck features before calibrating including any automatic room light sensors, auto black level compensation, etc.

If you do all of that and your entire screen is still turning gray, please let me know.

Richard J. Casey

(BD Industry Insider)
post #6 of 12 Old 05-25-2012, 11:01 AM

Hey Richard!

Thanks so much for the reply. From what you said it sounds like my TV is working correctly. I remember the stars not turning white at 100% contrast. I also remember the screen did seem to change tint a little as I turned contrast up. I thought that was a problem with the panel but sounds like it may be normal for mine? I do have all the Auto Yuck stuff off. I think the only thing I have on is the Cinema Smooth which seems to be recommended in general.

The picture is great. When out on the main Disney WOW screen it looks fantastic with good color and whites and such.I will be verifying the calibration this weekend and let you know. Really appreciate your help. Thanks again!

Jared
post #7 of 12 Old 05-26-2012, 02:23 AM
AVS Special Member

If you screen is changing tint, you are clipping. If it looks a bit gray like you mentioned, it is probably in fact ... blue .... so you are most likely clipping the blue channel.

NOTE - If the screen changes tint, you are clipping ... so you need to back off on your contrast control. Turn up contrast until you see that shift in color or tint, then back it off until it goes away. That is your optimal setting.

You do not want to be clipping ... so I recommend doing this.

That should resolve the issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zinger223 View Post

Hey Richard!

Thanks so much for the reply. From what you said it sounds like my TV is working correctly. I remember the stars not turning white at 100% contrast. I also remember the screen did seem to change tint a little as I turned contrast up. I thought that was a problem with the panel but sounds like it may be normal for mine? I do have all the Auto Yuck stuff off. I think the only thing I have on is the Cinema Smooth which seems to be recommended in general.

The picture is great. When out on the main Disney WOW screen it looks fantastic with good color and whites and such.I will be verifying the calibration this weekend and let you know. Really appreciate your help. Thanks again!

Jared

Richard J. Casey

(BD Industry Insider)
post #8 of 12 Old 06-02-2012, 10:43 PM

Thanks again for all the help Richard.
post #9 of 12 Old 06-04-2012, 03:00 PM

Richard,

I have the same (or similar) problem as Zinger223 - I can't get either the WOW Beginner Contrast or the Advanced Contrast Test anywhere near white - the "whitest" I can get (with all the "Auto Yuck" stuff turned off) is a dirty gray - even with Contrast at 100.

I think what you are saying is this is to be expected on some HDTVs, but I notice your comment above, "If you do all of that and your entire screen is still turning gray, please let me know" - so I think I'm in that category. So, just wondering if I'm doing something stupid or ?

My plasma HDTV is Samsung PN51E450, with an LG BD 370 Blu-ray.

Thanks,

Pat
post #10 of 12 Old 06-04-2012, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by patof054 View Post

Richard,

I have the same (or similar) problem as Zinger223 - I can't get either the WOW Beginner Contrast or the Advanced Contrast Test anywhere near white - the "whitest" I can get (with all the "Auto Yuck" stuff turned off) is a dirty gray - even with Contrast at 100.

I think what you are saying is this is to be expected on some HDTVs, but I notice your comment above, "If you do all of that and your entire screen is still turning gray, please let me know" - so I think I'm in that category. So, just wondering if I'm doing something stupid or ?

My plasma HDTV is Samsung PN51E450, with an LG BD 370 Blu-ray.

Thanks,

Pat

since you have a Plasma, could this really be a ABL issue?
post #11 of 12 Old 06-06-2012, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post

since you have a Plasma, could this really be a ABL issue?

Thanks for the suggestion to check Automatic Brightness Level type controls.

I checked all settings I could find in that category and turned them off, such as "Motion Lighting", "Dynamic Contrast", "Energy Saving", "Eco Sensor", etc. and still have the problem with the dirty gray instead of white on the two WOW (beginner and advanced), Contrast screens.

The picture looks great in normal (non calibration) operation of the TV. It's just when using the WOW contrast screens that there's dirty gray instead of white.

Maybe it's a problem with my LG Blu-Ray player.

Thanks,

Pat
post #12 of 12 Old 06-06-2012, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by patof054 View Post

Thanks for the suggestion to check Automatic Brightness Level type controls.
I checked all settings I could find in that category and turned them off, such as "Motion Lighting", "Dynamic Contrast", "Energy Saving", "Eco Sensor", etc. and still have the problem with the dirty gray instead of white on the two WOW (beginner and advanced), Contrast screens.
The picture looks great in normal (non calibration) operation of the TV. It's just when using the WOW contrast screens that there's dirty gray instead of white.
Maybe it's a problem with my LG Blu-Ray player.
Thanks,
Pat

That's not what I meant; plasmas have ABL and it cannot be disabled... therefore, a full white screen like with the Disney WOW Contrast test patterns (basic and advanced) will always be dimmer than a small white window.
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page