Which movie scenes do you use as references to evaluate a display? - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 64 Old 09-26-2012, 02:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
So..........What were those movie scenes again?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 64 Old 09-26-2012, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by H Stevens View Post

So..........What were those movie scenes again?

The OP listed these:

Avatar: First chapter for detail level
Rio: Carnival chapter for color punch
Pearl Harbor: Japanese air attack chapter for movie grain rendition
Batman Returns: Roof scene for black levels and shadow detail
2012: City destruction chapter for fast action scene handling
Ice age 2: Beginning of chapter 2 for panning
Bucket list: First (or second) chapter for skin tones

I've used the blu-ray version of Seabiscuit (there's a list of scenes to look at and why) and the Dark Knight.
post #63 of 64 Old 09-26-2012, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Gallagher View Post

The fact remains, if you are trying to solely judge picture quality by viewing in a retail store environment, its pointless. A dedicated Hi-Fi shop with a dedicated viewing room and access to the tv's controls and your own discs, test discs or otherwise, is another thing. Problem is, most of them don't exist anymore.

Proper reviews can let you know how a tv actually performs. Gray scale performance, gamma response, color accuracy, resolution capability among other things can all be objectively and scientifically evaluated. I cant tell you how many times a client of mine has purchased a set based on the way it looks in the store, only to be disappointed when they get it home. With many displays, even calibration can't overcome its inherent shortcomings. This is where a trusted and competent review will pay big dividends.

As to the original post, not sure how anything but picture quality is relevant in this discussion.

With regards to what Michael stated, that's a whole other, unrelated, aspect of the buying decision

PQ was and still is my main concern here plus I would like to find something at a size of around 80". I currently own a 65VT25 which has a very good PQ (IMHO) but that also has its share of flaws (buzz on bright scene, floating blacks on dark scenes to name a few). For now, from what I've read and seen, there is no TV in that size range that I feel is worth buying or that I can afford, so I'll wait. There’s not many choices at that size anyway...

I'm certainly not trying to solely judge picture quality by viewing it in a retail store environment as I fully agree with you that it would be pointless. I stated earlier that the idea was to bring a Blu-Ray demo disc with various scenes to the stores to get a quick idea of what a display is capable of but that is not exactly what I meant to say (the "stores" with a "s" part) as I know that it will not be possible for me to determine what a display is capable of in store environments. When going to a TV store like Future Shop or Best Buy, with a friend, I'm the first in line to advise not to judge any particular display in this store environment as I am aware that most of the time those displays are set in store mode with picture mode on vivid and are poorly feed most of the time.

For the record, my main source of information is the internet and especially web sites like AVSForum. It’s here and on other forums and professional review sites that I try to gather as much useful information as I can to narrow down my choice.

That being said, I happen to have a dedicated Hi-Fi shop with dedicated viewing rooms and access to the tv's controls in my neighborhood. I went there once since I started this thread with my Blu-Ray demo disc and the Disney WOW disc to spend a few hours with one display that I was curious about. I am not merely trying to evaluate 10 displays @ 4 hours each to find out which is the top performer as some suggested.

When I go into that Hi-Fi shop I already have a display in mind and about 90% of the info I need to know about it yet I still feel the need to see it. 2 years ago I bought my VT25 there and was able to see and play with it a few times before I bought (and after reading a lot on the internet wink.gif). The idea here to bring something I’m familiar with and a simple calibration disc to get a rough idea of the picture potential. I’m am not trying to find out if it’s the best performer in the store but rather look for easily seen flaws that I wouldn’t be able to live with. I try to the best of my knowledge to make a quick calibration with the WOW disc using the picture setting that seemed the most accurate based on what I read here on the forums in owner’s thread and/or in reviews and on what I see on site. I also like to explore the user settings and options the display has to offer yet I will not try to go into the service menu or try to use a meter in the Hi-Fi shop.

I understand your points and they are valid. But you will not convince me to buy a display that I have not seen even if I have read everything that has been written about it.

Anyways, those movie scenes that I asked for will be even more useful at home after buying the display.wink.gif I enjoyed them with my VT25 already! BTW do you guys have some movie scenes to suggest?

Man, I had no idea this thread would turn into such a debate. I should have entitled it : “Which movie scenes do you use as references to enjoy a fully calibrated display?”

Again, don't take all this too seriously, we are just talking TVs here...
post #64 of 64 Old 09-26-2012, 10:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhan View Post

BTW do you guys have some movie scenes to suggest?
Man, I had no idea this thread would turn into such a debate. I should have entitled it : “Which movie scenes do you use as references to enjoy a fully calibrated display?”
Again, don't take all this too seriously, we are just talking TVs here...

This particular forum can be very contentious at times as you have seen. Lots of excellent information here but it is like wading thru a mine field. And yes, it is only tv. The movie I go to to check my calibration settings is the blu-ray Seabiscuit. I've attached the scene by scene write up that another member made on what to look for and why. It's by no way the only movie to use but a place to start.

Sea Biscuit Calibration Reference Sumary-3.doc 34k .doc file
Attached Files
File Type: doc Sea Biscuit Calibration Reference Sumary-3.doc (34.0 KB, 11 views)
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page