Calibration Software for Media Center PC - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 04-26-2012, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys, just a follow up post with a different question.

I've been looking into calibrating my TV (Panasonic 65ST30) but now that I think about it, my main source of video is through my computer with an AMD Radeon 6950 video card.

Is there a software I can get that will let me calibrate what's coming out of the computer, rather than calibrate the television? I figure if my source isn't good then what's being displayed at the end of it won't be any good either
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-26-2012, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Playing blu-rays, with the radeon is pretty much bit perfect, so you should do as much calibration in the TV as possible.

What you can't calibrate out of the TV can be compensated for with calibration of the video card. Any of the PC calibration products can work, my favorite of course is CalPC, but that's probably only because I help write it. I do think CalPC will give you the most accurate grayscale calibration of any PC calibration software. It's ICC utility isn't as powerful as something like BasICColor, but ICC's aren't usefull for HTPC use anyway.

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
post #3 of 7 Old 04-26-2012, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter

oh cool. hmm, even though you are just plugging your own software maybe I will give that a try hahah. Is it fairly easy to use? (I definitely know my way around a computer so that's not a problem) and do i need a colorimeter like a spyder type device or an i1?

Also, if I am getting my TV calibrated, should I even bother with this? or use calpc in conjunction with the calibration
post #4 of 7 Old 04-26-2012, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by djkorben View Post

oh cool. hmm, even though you are just plugging your own software maybe I will give that a try hahah. Is it fairly easy to use? (I definitely know my way around a computer so that's not a problem) and do i need a colorimeter like a spyder type device or an i1?

Also, if I am getting my TV calibrated, should I even bother with this? or use calpc in conjunction with the calibration

Yes you would need a colorimeter to calibrate with CalPC or to calibrate your TV in general.

You could absolutely have a professional calibrate the TV and then use CalPC on top of it. Or you could calibrate the TV yourself.

There are a lot of options out there. I think the main point is that the PC is a very good source out of the box, so you'll see the most improvements calibrating the TV and moving back to the PC, with calibrating the PC output as the last step in the processes.

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
post #5 of 7 Old 04-26-2012, 10:40 PM - Thread Starter

well then I will be ordering a colorimeter and maybe some software off your fine company, any coupon codes you want to throw my way haha. kidding

but what would your suggestion be for the better colorimeter? price not very important
post #6 of 7 Old 04-27-2012, 04:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by djkorben View Post

well then I will be ordering a colorimeter and maybe some software off your fine company, any coupon codes you want to throw my way haha. kidding

but what would your suggestion be for the better colorimeter? price not very important

Please note: CalPC only works with windows so if you are running some variant of Linux you are out of luck.
post #7 of 7 Old 04-27-2012, 07:07 AM - Thread Starter

thats alright, i'm using windows 7
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page