Help with calibration - struggling with Saturation and Y value - HCFR / Eyeone LT / M - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 04-29-2012, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Mitsubishi WD-73C11 which is the same as the WD-73640. It has full CMS system. I'm using and i1 (Eeyone LT / Eyeone Display 2 meter) and HCFR to do my calibraiton. My grey scale, color temperature and xy coordinates of primaries and secondaries are very accurate however my Y value and saturation can use some help.

I know the 100% white should have a Y of 100% but when I adjust the contrast to achieve this its too dim for my liking and the ftL is around 29. So I compromised by increasing the contrast to get a Y to 113 and the ftL to 33.

1. So my first question is: Is this a good Y / ftL compromise or is it more important to get my Y to 100 no matter what? I have a feeling my TV has some circuitry to limit above white output if that matters. When I look at blinking white clipping test patterns on AVS when I turn up the contrast to high I don't see above white, but the below white ones start getting a pinkish tint.

2. Or can I go for a 40 ftL, notate the 100% white Y value and then just adjust my primaries and secondaries based off rec 709 % of the white Y that they should be. I mean I'm basically just trying to get the following percentages for Y:R 21.26%, G 71.52% B 72.2%, Y 92.78%, C 78.74%, M 28.48%, right?

3. Also is, is the Y value the same as as as the ftL light output? Or are they just highly correlated? I ask this because I personally prefer a brighter / more saturated pictured so I'd prefer to have my ftL closer to 40 than 30. But despite what I do to the color control and the levels in the CMS if I push my contrast up to get closer to a 40 ftL my Y values always shoot up above the REC 709 spec. I can adjust down the intensity of color or the RGB's in the CMS down to get the Y lower but this also lowers the ftL independent of where I leave contrast.

I've attached my HCFR file as well as screen shots. I think with my controls I should be able to get my TV dead on the money across the board. If anyone can answer my questions and give me any pointers based on my calibration results I would be extremely grateful. If I'm missing something or not understanding things correctly please let me know. Thanks in advance.

AfterCalibration0429.zip 4.728515625k . file
LL
LL
LL
LL
Attached Files
File Type: zip AfterCalibration0429.zip (4.7 KB, 2 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-29-2012, 12:47 PM

Liked: 16
please check this thread
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post16166537

There should be some interesting reading for you
post #3 of 8 Old 04-29-2012, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by visca blaugrana View Post

please check this thread
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post16166537

There should be some interesting reading for you

Thanks - that was very pertinent to what I'm trying to achieve. My 100% color saturation is very accurate but 25, 50, and 75 are all off. I'm going to re-calibrate using the 75% targets.

How about my 100% white Y. Is it OK to set it higher than 100 to get my desired ftL closer to 40?
post #4 of 8 Old 04-29-2012, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter

I adjusted my CMS at 75% saturation. I'm gettinga flatter response from 0 - 75 at the expense of a little oversaturation @ 100%. I think it looks a little better subjectively.

Did I hit a respectable compromise or I can I tweak further. Some of the Y values were impossible to get on target when getting the RGB percentages and xy coordinates as close as possible. Green in particular is little off.

Results attached
LL
LL
post #5 of 8 Old 04-29-2012, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfish123 View Post

I adjusted my CMS at 75% saturation. I'm gettinga flatter response from 0 - 75 at the expense of a little oversaturation @ 100%. I think it looks a little better subjectively.

Did I hit a respectable compromise or I can I tweak further. Some of the Y values were impossible to get on target when getting the RGB percentages and xy coordinates as close as possible. Green in particular is little off.

Results attached

Just keep in mind that most would consider that meter insufficiently accurate to do "accurate" CMS work unless it is profiled to a know accurate Spectro on that display. So the actual results could look nice on the chart but be even more wrong than if you had left the CMS at all zeros. Just something to consider when viewing the outcome.
post #6 of 8 Old 04-29-2012, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfish123 View Post

[snip] ...2. Or can I go for a 40 ftL, notate the 100% white Y value and then just adjust my primaries and secondaries based off rec 709 % of the white Y that they should be. I mean I'm basically just trying to get the following percentages for Y:R 21.26%, G 71.52% B 72.2%, Y 92.78%, C 78.74%, M 28.48%, right?...

Blue should be 7.22% not 72.2%, but yes, that is the correct method. I use a spreadsheet to calculate the values (along with Black Level ), then paste them along with the x y coordinates into the comments section of the measures tab for easy reference.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

post #7 of 8 Old 04-29-2012, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes View Post

Just keep in mind that most would consider that meter insufficiently accurate to do "accurate" CMS work unless it is profiled to a know accurate Spectro on that display. So the actual results could look nice on the chart but be even more wrong than if you had left the CMS at all zeros. Just something to consider when viewing the outcome.

I hear you. I know the i1 is low end. To avoid the cost of buying an expensive one I may look into renting an accurate spectro so I can generate offsets to calibrate my i1 or maybe just rent a better meter and use it for my calibrations directly.

Subjectively, the colors look much more balanced and properly saturated than at default settings so I think I'm definitely better than if I did nothing.
post #8 of 8 Old 04-29-2012, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augerhandle View Post

Blue should be 7.22% not 72.2%, but yes, that is the correct method. I use a spreadsheet to calculate the values (along with Black Level ), then paste them along with the x y coordinates into the comments section of the measures tab for easy reference.

Oops I was a decimal place off on blue. thanks for pointing that out. Also, thanks for verifying that Y values for RGBCYM are all relative to Y for 100% IRE white.
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page