Plasma Calibration - Colour Accuracy - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 04-30-2012, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
ndaa75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Caister on Sea, UK
Posts: 493
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Is it normal for plasmas to suffer from colour accuracy?
Im struggling to get my saturation points in line with the reference.
In all, colours are undersaturated at 25, 50 and 75% but have above target 'Y' luminance value. Ive found that with the Samsung CMS, which is the RGB type, it is impossible increase saturation values without any impact to brightness as both the colour main slider and primary colour sliders in the colour space setting, control both luminance and saturation at the same time.
Im just wondering whether this is a common issue.
Strangely, I did for the hell of it, try full screen saturation fields which yielded much better results than the window fields.

Plasmas seem difficult.

Benq W1080ST Projector, Panasonic TXP55VT30 plasma, Yamaha RXA3020 AVR, Denon DVD-2500BT, Q Acoustics 1010i in 7.1, i1 Pro spectro, i1 Display Pro, Calman 5 Enthusiast, PS3, Xbox 360, Wii

Calibration Management Disc
ndaa75 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 Old 04-30-2012, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member
 
PlasmaPZ80U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 7,167
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndaa75 View Post

Is it normal for plasmas to suffer from colour accuracy?
Im struggling to get my saturation points in line with the reference.
In all, colours are undersaturated at 25, 50 and 75% but have above target 'Y' luminance value. Ive found that with the Samsung CMS, which is the RGB type, it is impossible increase saturation values without any impact to brightness as both the colour main slider and primary colour sliders in the colour space setting, control both luminance and saturation at the same time.
Im just wondering whether this is a common issue.
Strangely, I did for the hell of it, try full screen saturation fields which yielded much better results than the window fields.

Plasmas seem difficult.

you can never increase saturation with a CMS (unless the CMS defaults to settings that decrease saturation from the display's native gamut, which is unlikely)

this is not a plasma issue; rather just sets that have undersaturated gamuts versus the Rec. 709 targets.
PlasmaPZ80U is online now  
post #3 of 10 Old 04-30-2012, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
ndaa75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Caister on Sea, UK
Posts: 493
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post

you can never increase saturation with a CMS (unless the CMS defaults to settings that decrease saturation from the display's native gamut, which is unlikely)

this is not a plasma issue; rather just sets that have undersaturated gamuts versus the Rec. 709 targets.

I dont think thats true. Using the CIE graph I can move the 75% saturation point on my Samsung plasma along the x axis by increasing either the colour slider or using the red slider in the colour space setting. Problem is both controls also increase luminance at the same time.

Benq W1080ST Projector, Panasonic TXP55VT30 plasma, Yamaha RXA3020 AVR, Denon DVD-2500BT, Q Acoustics 1010i in 7.1, i1 Pro spectro, i1 Display Pro, Calman 5 Enthusiast, PS3, Xbox 360, Wii

Calibration Management Disc
ndaa75 is offline  
post #4 of 10 Old 04-30-2012, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member
 
buzzard767's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Naples, FL & Wausau, WI
Posts: 3,599
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndaa75 View Post

I dont think thats true. Using the CIE graph I can move the 75% saturation point on my Samsung plasma along the x axis by increasing either the colour slider or using the red slider in the colour space setting. Problem is both controls also increase luminance at the same time.

The Color control is not part of the CMS.

Buzz
THX Certified Video Calibrator

 

buzzard767 is online now  
post #5 of 10 Old 04-30-2012, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
ndaa75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Caister on Sea, UK
Posts: 493
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post

The Color control is not part of the CMS.

Maybe not, but upping the value increases the saturation and brightness, effecting all colours. Likewise using the red slider in the RED colour space option in the Samsung CMS, for example, also increases both saturation and brightness, although this only impacts red.

Benq W1080ST Projector, Panasonic TXP55VT30 plasma, Yamaha RXA3020 AVR, Denon DVD-2500BT, Q Acoustics 1010i in 7.1, i1 Pro spectro, i1 Display Pro, Calman 5 Enthusiast, PS3, Xbox 360, Wii

Calibration Management Disc
ndaa75 is offline  
post #6 of 10 Old 04-30-2012, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member
 
buzzard767's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Naples, FL & Wausau, WI
Posts: 3,599
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 337
Yes, it's Chroma Gain, nothing new.

Buzz
THX Certified Video Calibrator

 

buzzard767 is online now  
post #7 of 10 Old 04-30-2012, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member
 
PlasmaPZ80U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 7,167
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndaa75 View Post

I dont think thats true. Using the CIE graph I can move the 75% saturation point on my Samsung plasma along the x axis by increasing either the colour slider or using the red slider in the colour space setting. Problem is both controls also increase luminance at the same time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndaa75 View Post

Maybe not, but upping the value increases the saturation and brightness, effecting all colours. Likewise using the red slider in the RED colour space option in the Samsung CMS, for example, also increases both saturation and brightness, although this only impacts red.

if you try to fix undersaturated colors by using the chroma gain you will improve saturation at the expense of lightness (lightness will become way too high)... so not really worth it
PlasmaPZ80U is online now  
post #8 of 10 Old 04-30-2012, 11:41 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
ndaa75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Caister on Sea, UK
Posts: 493
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post

if you try to fix undersaturated colors by using the chroma gain you will improve saturation at the expense of lightness (lightness will become way too high)... so not really worth it

Yes, understood thanks!

So is this 'normal'?

Benq W1080ST Projector, Panasonic TXP55VT30 plasma, Yamaha RXA3020 AVR, Denon DVD-2500BT, Q Acoustics 1010i in 7.1, i1 Pro spectro, i1 Display Pro, Calman 5 Enthusiast, PS3, Xbox 360, Wii

Calibration Management Disc
ndaa75 is offline  
post #9 of 10 Old 05-01-2012, 03:14 AM
AVS Special Member
 
buzzard767's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Naples, FL & Wausau, WI
Posts: 3,599
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndaa75 View Post


So is this 'normal'?

Pretty much. Considering your Samsung with a full CMS, you might have to use the Color control to mitigate the effects of post calibration red push if your TV has this trait. The side effect is that the luminance of blue and green is reduced as well but it's better than looking at lobster faces.

Buzz
THX Certified Video Calibrator

 

buzzard767 is online now  
post #10 of 10 Old 05-01-2012, 05:31 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
ndaa75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Caister on Sea, UK
Posts: 493
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post

Pretty much. Considering your Samsung with a full CMS, you might have to use the Color control to mitigate the effects of post calibration red push if your TV has this trait. The side effect is that the luminance of blue and green is reduced as well but it's better than looking at lobster faces.

Absolutely!

Benq W1080ST Projector, Panasonic TXP55VT30 plasma, Yamaha RXA3020 AVR, Denon DVD-2500BT, Q Acoustics 1010i in 7.1, i1 Pro spectro, i1 Display Pro, Calman 5 Enthusiast, PS3, Xbox 360, Wii

Calibration Management Disc
ndaa75 is offline  
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off