meter distance from plasma/lcd screen - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 05-02-2012, 06:28 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Is there a recommended maximum distance from the face of a LCD or plasma panel to the meter? I have an i1Pro and an i1D2. On my neighbors setup, the panel is built into a cabinet, and the meters cannot be used with the counter weights. I can set the meters on a tripod, but can not get closer than 15" from the face of the panel. Is this too far? or can this be treated like a projector set up?

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-02-2012, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by vega509 View Post
Is there a recommended maximum distance from the face of a LCD or plasma panel to the meter? I have an i1Pro and an i1D2. On my neighbors setup, the panel is built into a cabinet, and the meters cannot be used with the counter weights. I can set the meters on a tripod, but can not get closer than 15" from the face of the panel. Is this too far? or can this be treated like a projector set up?

thanks
Make sure the room is Dark, and you are good to go.
Oh one thing to keep in mind. With that distance the D2 is going to be reading a lot more of the screen than in contact mode...
The i1pro will be looking at a spot about 3.5" round and the C6 (no clue how the D2 measures up to c6 in FOV) would be about 6" Need to keep this in mind if using small windows and menu location.

Viewing Angle Chart.pdf 74.337890625k . file
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Viewing Angle Chart.pdf (74.3 KB, 11 views)

Doug

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 Old 05-02-2012, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Set the tripod with 2 legs against the cabinet and extend the back leg to tilt the meter closer to the screen . :-)

Jim White
St. Petersburg, FL
post #4 of 7 Old 05-02-2012, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

thanks for the replies airscapes and jimwhite, I'll try the tripod method, I always work in a dark room.
post #5 of 7 Old 05-02-2012, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

The closest I could get to the screen was 5" on the tripod. With the room completely dark, I ran a 10 pt grayscale, then got my neighbor to hold the meter against the set and ran another 10 pt grayscale.

The gamma, luminance, color temp,and rgb charts are almost identical. Looking at the data, at 100%, the Y values on the runs were 101 on the screen, and at 5", 97, or 29.48 ftL and 28.31ftL.

I realize the light output will fall as distance increases. Will any other aspect change as well? or am I reading too much into this?
post #6 of 7 Old 05-02-2012, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by vega509 View Post

The closest I could get to the screen was 5" on the tripod. With the room completely dark, I ran a 10 pt grayscale, then got my neighbor to hold the meter against the set and ran another 10 pt grayscale.

The gamma, luminance, color temp,and rgb charts are almost identical. Looking at the data, at 100%, the Y values on the runs were 101 on the screen, and at 5", 97, or 29.48 ftL and 28.31ftL.

I realize the light output will fall as distance increases. Will any other aspect change as well? or am I reading too much into this?

To much
you are fine!

Doug

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 7 Old 05-03-2012, 07:42 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

thanks once again !!!
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page