Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 05-02-2012, 10:49 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Hi everyone,

I am an amateur calibrator, and I have an X-rite i1 Display Pro (with PC monitor calibration software), and a Calman DIY license (for televisions), and I've ran into a new problem that I can't seem to solve:

There is a new "fad" for buying Korean-branded and targeted 27" IPS monitors. They have no OSD, a very low cost, and are using the same LG IPS panels that are sold to Dell, Apple, HP, etc. The catch is, they usually have a flaw or two. The one I bought is no exception: it's a beautiful display, and has zero dead/stuck pixels, but it has pretty poor uniformity. If I take a small white notepad window, and move it around the screen, I can easily see the color temperature of white change. The reference point that I calibrated against is a perfect white (to my eyes), but along the edge 1/3 portions of the screen, it's definitely warmer. I measured the different points with the included Xrite software, and verified what my eyes are seeing. Thankfully, the brightness uniformity is pretty decent, but I'd like to correct the color temperature uniformity (or lack thereof).

Is there any relatively inexpensive software package that can correct for PC display uniformity issues? This would obviously have to be a software solution, and would require an extensive calibration (from a dozen+ points on the monitor), but would work wonders on this monitor. I don't think CalPC has this feature, but if SpectraCal is listening, if they add it to a future release, I will gladly buy a license.

Calibration Equipment:

Meters: X-rite i1 Pro 2, X-rite i1 Display Pro

Software: Spectracal Calman DIY, ControlCAL

Televisions:

Panasonic TC-P65VT50 (currently own)
Samsung UN55D8000 (returned) Calibration and Settings Thread

Plasma IR Removal:

Post 1 - Post 2 - Post 3

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-03-2012, 04:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 114
That sucks man!
I am no authority, so this is just a guess using my small amount of knowledge on the subject as a base.
I think the only way to fix uniformity issues is to buy a better display. Like under saturated primaries, there is nothing you can do.
post #3 of 5 Old 05-03-2012, 04:34 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes View Post

That sucks man!
I am no authority, so this is just a guess using my small amount of knowledge on the subject as a base.
I think the only way to fix uniformity issues is to buy a better display. Like under saturated primaries, there is nothing you can do.

Well I found that there are some software packages that exist, but most of them exist for the medical industry, and are therefore ~$500. I'd like to see something for the consumer market- assuming something doesn't already exist.

It's also not as bad as I make it sound. It's very hard to notice, unless you're looking for it. If I took a picture of it with a camera, for instance, I doubt anyone would be able to detect the problem. Definitely something that I could live with, but it would be very interesting (and worthwhile) to try to correct it.

Calibration Equipment:

Meters: X-rite i1 Pro 2, X-rite i1 Display Pro

Software: Spectracal Calman DIY, ControlCAL

Televisions:

Panasonic TC-P65VT50 (currently own)
Samsung UN55D8000 (returned) Calibration and Settings Thread

Plasma IR Removal:

Post 1 - Post 2 - Post 3

post #4 of 5 Old 05-03-2012, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Even the medical packages don't correct uniformity, at least from what I've seen. They just quantify it to see if your monitor is out of spec or in spec.

The only way to fix it is buy a different monitor.

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
post #5 of 5 Old 05-03-2012, 09:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 32
The uniformity differences, among others, are why the NEC PA271W sells for $1,200 and other monitors sell for half that. If you want it really uniform it just costs much more. The NEC is more uniform than any other monitor I reviewed, but it costs more than any other one as well.

Chris Heinonen
Senior Editor, Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity, www.hometheaterhifi.com
Displays Editor, AnandTech.com
Contributor, HDGuru.com and Wirecutter.com
ISF Level II Certified Calibrator, ReferenceHomeTheater.com
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page