2.35 zoom calibration - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 05-03-2012, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Hi. I just got a 2.35 screen, and I am doing zoom method (zoom for the width , and let the top spill-over) for 2.35 material, and do I am using Lumagen to just zoom down to 16:9 (I know I will lose resolution).

How do I do calibration with this setup? The pattern on Lumagen seems to be 16:9 in nature, and given I have the top spill-over, if I just do center, some of those seems to spill over. I am not sure if I should change to 16:9 mode (shrink) and do the calibration.... How do you guys with 2.35zoom do calibration?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 05-03-2012, 04:36 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Since you're doing the 16:9 inside the Lumagen, the ftL levels (and therefore black levels and gamma) should be the same between 2.35 and 16:9 content. I wouldn't worry about pattern spillover while calibrating, you're just measuring a spot on the screen and you can ignore what spills over.

If you really didn't want to deal with spillover, you can just mask that content with the Radiance anyway, which I'd probably do for my 2.35 screen anyway. Otherwise films like The Dark Knight that switch between 2.35 and 1.78 ratios will spill over as well.

Chris Heinonen
Senior Editor, Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Displays Editor,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Contributor,
and

ISF Level II Certified Calibrator,
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page