Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 199 Old 08-06-2012, 01:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post

Yes I saw your post and charts. That's why I ran autocal with the new calman4 b395 software.
The only differences are, I used normal, 2.4 and a i1pro meter.
Now if you read what was fixed with this software, it had nothing to do with autocal. However it does have a fix for the i1pro 2, and because I have one on its way to me I downloaded b395.
btw if anybody is interested in the i1pro 2 basic, amazon just dropped there price on this to $964.
ss

2.4 did not work for me ever. What is so terrible about your autocal screen shot? The dE looks lower than 3 to me. I tried targets 0, 0.4, and 0.5. All got the dE really low. What are you using?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 199 Old 08-06-2012, 03:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 200
SS

What was the fix for the i1pro2???????

Have you had a chance to take a look at 3d calibration?? Thoughts??

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, VideoForge HDMI II, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #183 of 199 Old 08-07-2012, 12:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

SS
What was the fix for the i1pro2???????
Have you had a chance to take a look at 3d calibration?? Thoughts??

Actually, not only for the i1pro 2 but for the I1display (D3). I guess the fix is for better comparability with Calman.
Don't know if it works or not, I will be trying out my i1pro 2 with the b395 software tomorrow night.

No I haven't done anything with 3D yet, Jeff (UMR) is going to be stopping by my house next month to help me out with 3D. But mainly for the light reading with his Photo Research PR-670.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alston80 View Post

2.4 did not work for me ever. What is so terrible about your autocal screen shot? The dE looks lower than 3 to me. I tried targets 0, 0.4, and 0.5. All got the dE really low. What are you using?

Getting the dE low is not a problem, the problem is not using green to get there. Plus the fact that autocal does not calibrate are CMS, nor set the light level (contrast).

Yes using the settings I did is a bit unfair, however I can get good (not great) results when I do my calibrations manually with those settings. As far as the dE targets go I used the default, what ever that is. I normally use a setting of 0.

That said, your charts look good but without seeing the numbers I really can not say for sure if your calibration is good or not so good.

Anyway you are off to a good start.

ss
post #184 of 199 Old 08-07-2012, 05:18 AM

Quote:

Getting the dE low is not a problem, the problem is not using green to get there. Plus the fact that autocal does not calibrate are CMS, nor set the light level (contrast).
Yes using the settings I did is a bit unfair, however I can get good (not great) results when I do my calibrations manually with those settings. As far as the dE targets go I used the default, what ever that is. I normally use a setting of 0.
That said, your charts look good but without seeing the numbers I really can not say for sure if your calibration is good or not so good.
Anyway you are off to a good start.
ss

You can autocal the CMS. I spoke with someone at Spectracal in April or May, and they told me that they removed or hid the Autocal for CMS because it did not work as well as they wanted it to. They also said they were working on it and would add it in later in the year. I know how to add it back in. I have used it in the past and it did not yield good results because of the inoperable luminance controls at the time. Autocal CMS works really good now. You have to add your own action button and set the command to do DisplayAction.SetAllGamut. See the screenshot below.

post #185 of 199 Old 08-07-2012, 09:45 AM
TWD
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbe View Post

f/w update v1.150 may be reducing luminance at 100% white a bit using PB Medium, so those with existing professional calibrations should not update now IMO, additional data/confirmations will be/is coming in.

Also, this new f/w update is for North American Regions Only, I've gotten a few emais from my Euro/UK Users asking about it for their models - this f/w update doesn't exist/is not for Euro/UK models.

Turbe,

Anything new to report on this? Is SpectraCal satisfied that all issues have been resolved with the new release or is SpectraCal still working with Panasonic on this?

Thanks

TWD

TWD
post #186 of 199 Old 08-07-2012, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Yes, I updated my post above the one you quoted..

Not exactly as I originally posted (though there was one report for that), but from Calibrator reports including from Kevin Miller who has already posted, it's best to not update unless you can get a recal.

8/4/2012 Update: For those who have had their displays professionally calibrated already, it is recommended that you do not update to v1.150 and you contact your Calibrator.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monitorman View Post

Hi all,
I just did 3 VT50s yesterday. I did a Software Update to 1.150 I believe on all 3 panels. This enabled the Luminance controls in the CMS. It also changed the luminance of the colors and made it critical to adjust the luminance of all 6 colors to get it correct. This means it most definitely alters an already calibrated VT50. My advice would be to not do the update if you have had your VT50 professionally calibrated.

Also on these models, there is size and unit to unit variation including with common builds in regards to performance with the update..

The Calibrators who have already provided feedback to me for post v1.150 indicate that this is a recommended f/w update

The bottom line, you will want this update so schedule a recal... it is also being pushed down the pipeline by Panasonic.

Need to find a Professional Calibrator? Click Here to PM me with your Display & City

Calibrator List - Pioneer ISFccc Interface

Calibration Reports - Pioneer

ControlCAL™
Designed by Calibrators for Calibrators™

No need to fumble through the Display's Menu with its Remote Control™

post #187 of 199 Old 08-07-2012, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 271
Quote:

You can autocal the CMS. I spoke with someone at Spectracal in April or May, and they told me that they removed or hid the Autocal for CMS because it did not work as well as they wanted it to. They also said they were working on it and would add it in later in the year. I know how to add it back in. I have used it in the past and it did not yield good results because of the inoperable luminance controls at the time. Autocal CMS works really good now. You have to add your own action button and set the command to do DisplayAction.SetAllGamut. See the screenshot below.

Thanks for the tip.

I think you can also use Standard Interactive mode to access both Gamut and Grayscale, and let autocal do the work. Simply drag and drop what ever you are working on.

ss
post #188 of 199 Old 08-07-2012, 01:16 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the tip.
I think you can also use Standard Interactive mode to access both Gamut and Grayscale, and let autocal do the work. Simply drag and drop what ever you are working on.
ss

I tried the interactive stuff before. IMO doing the autocal works better and it will save you time. Especially when doing the grayscale.
post #189 of 199 Old 08-07-2012, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 204
are these VT50s that hard to calibrate manually that spending hundreds on auto-cal is worthwhile? just curious
post #190 of 199 Old 08-07-2012, 02:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post

are these VT50s that hard to calibrate manually that spending hundreds on auto-cal is worthwhile? just curious

With the new firmware I was able to get a good calibration (using ControlCal) in about 3 hours.

Mike

post #191 of 199 Old 08-07-2012, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmwilker View Post

With the new firmware I was able to get a good calibration (using ControlCal) in about 3 hours.

that's not too bad, especially given all the picture controls this set has
post #192 of 199 Old 08-07-2012, 05:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

I think most of us get a kick playing with our toys. An automated calibration kinda fits that profile. If you notice, most these guys also do the manual stuff too.

I get it; it's not required, but might be cool to have. smile.gif
post #193 of 199 Old 08-11-2012, 04:38 PM

I just noticed something weird with the IRE Gain controls in the Gamma Detail Adjustment menu. I am using Calman 4 and when I change the gain for ISF DAY it also changes for ISF NIGHT. So both my night and day settings will have the same gain value. Can anyone who uses Calman 4 test this? All the other IRE controls are specific to their ISF mode except the Gain. This is the same as the IRE luminance if you are using the DDC workflow.
post #194 of 199 Old 08-11-2012, 08:00 PM

Quote:

I just noticed something weird with the IRE Gain controls in the Gamma Detail Adjustment menu. I am using Calman 4 and when I change the gain for ISF DAY it also changes for ISF NIGHT. So both my night and day settings will have the same gain value. Can anyone who uses Calman 4 test this? All the other IRE controls are specific to their ISF mode except the Gain. This is the same as the IRE luminance if you are using the DDC workflow.

I got around this by using ControlCal. Thanks Turbe!
post #195 of 199 Old 01-02-2013, 06:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Hi,

I don't know whether this is the right thread but I'll try anyway, because the most knowledgable ppl seem to lurk here...

I'm looking into getting the European VT50 for domestic as well as studio use as a preview/grading monitor...I'm more or less aware that I can expect fairly accurate rec709 picture from the THX mode...(APL issues aside for accurate black level monitoring, still undecided whether it's a deal breaker)

however, I learned that this TV has the possibilty of a wider gamut operation, i.e. the wide gamut option (color remaster in the european version) unlocks the gamut simulation i.e. the TV is allowed to use the full gamut of its phosphors...

does anyone know what colorspace is it closest to i.e. which wide colorspaces fall inside it: P3, AdobeRGB, xvYCC...? I was hoping to perhaps use it to grade the shorts I produce on it, for P3 digital cinema projection (would require to be shot in wider colorspace, of course, say xvYCC or professional cameras like RED)...I also rely on the "pure direct" mode to get 4:4:4 chroma resolution, will it work in wide gamut mode? also will the VT50 accept and work with true 10-bit input from the graphics card?

Thanks...
post #196 of 199 Old 01-02-2013, 06:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by mytbyte View Post

Hi,
I'm more or less aware that I can expect fairly accurate rec709 picture from the THX mode......

Just from production variances, it won't be that accurate.

For your application, you'll need to be sure that it's frequently recalibrated.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, VideoForge HDMI II, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #197 of 199 Old 01-03-2013, 12:12 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 25
Thank you...

the idea was not to have absolutely accurate display but one that I can trust is close to reference from the factory without the of need for calibration (I don't have a client to rub my nose in it )biggrin.gif...

however I confirmed myself that ABL and 50 Hz bug are present and am slowly steering away from VT50, albeit not completely yet...
post #198 of 199 Old 02-11-2013, 10:10 AM

Liked: 10
As a Silver Premier customer at Best buy I am entitled to free calibration through geek squad.

Please comment.

Pistol Pete
post #199 of 199 Old 02-11-2013, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjrace1 View Post

As a Silver Premier customer at Best buy I am entitled to free calibration through geek squad.

Please comment.

This was asked last week, here is what everyone said
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1455980/best-buy-calibration-yes-or-no-free-service-from-rewards/0_100
Reply Display Calibration

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P55vt50
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page