SpyderTV HD - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Display Devices > Display Calibration > SpyderTV HD

Display Calibration

lb750's Avatar lb750
11:33 AM Liked: 10
post #1 of 7
05-07-2012 | Posts: 132
Is anyone familiar with SpyderTV HD? I just ordered SpyderTV HD. Looks like it just came out last month. There is not much information yet.

http://spyder.datacolor.com/portfoli.../spyder4tv-hd/
lb750's Avatar lb750
02:48 PM Liked: 10
post #2 of 7
05-09-2012 | Posts: 132
I have a question for those with calibration experience. When doing a calibration, what features should be turned off? Auto motion plus. eco senor , dynamic contrast, black levels, motion lighting, ect..........I tried to do a few calibrations last night but the picture is grainy. Turns out that dynamic contrast was set on high. I will try again tonight but would like to know what to turn off first?
airscapes's Avatar airscapes
03:02 PM Liked: 130
post #3 of 7
05-09-2012 | Posts: 4,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by lb750 View Post

I have a question for those with calibration experience. When doing a calibration, what features should be turned off? Auto motion plus. eco senor , dynamic contrast, black levels, motion lighting, ect..........I tried to do a few calibrations last night but the picture is grainy. Turns out that dynamic contrast was set on high. I will try again tonight but would like to know what to turn off first?

Everything that can be turned off. Use isf / thx or custom mode.. if none of them movie/cinema modes to calibrate. Set color temp to closest preset to D65 (check them all before you make any adjustments). if plasma use window patterns. If LED with local dim turn it off if you can, and use Full field patterns. Make sure the room lighting is as it will be when most of the viewing is done. Hope that helps a little
lb750's Avatar lb750
03:07 PM Liked: 10
post #4 of 7
05-09-2012 | Posts: 132
I forgot to list the model TV. Samsung UN55ES7500. The instructions that came with SpyderTV HD say to use standard but they don't mention anything about other settings. They just say to rest it like it came out of the box. I used "standard" last night. Tonight I will try "movie". Since I am new to this, I do not know what you mean by D65.
antmanxp's Avatar antmanxp
12:19 PM Liked: 10
post #5 of 7
12-15-2012 | Posts: 1
I've tried the Spyder4TV HD, and find that it does a decent job at calibrating my Vizio M3D650SV. The values it recommends are near where I had previously set them based on my use of the THX Optimizer from one of my Pixar DVDs. My one concern with the Spyder product is that while it does tell you which Color Temperature setting is closet to the 6500K standard, it doesn't quantify how far off the true value you are. The software produces a Calibration report showing a bulls-eye graph (see example below) that represent relative values to the 6500K standard (which I'm assuming the center bulls-eye is the standard), and your TVs Preset data points are shown relative to that center, but there is no value given to what each ring of the bull-eye represents, and there is no information about which colors are represented by the direction the data points take... for example, if I'm upper-right of center (as shown below), does that mean I'm too blue? ...or my green gain is too high? ...or I should offset my red??? There is no way to tell.

My TV has the ability to effect the gain and offset of Red, Blue, and Green Color Temp values, but the Spyder doesn't help to fine tune the color temp before it finishes the remainder of the calibration... Basically, it helps the TV look the best it can given it's presets, but not the best it can look overall. I have found the XML file that records the Spyder's data points, which appear to be 9 readings per record (I believe it's 3 sets of triple readings), but it would be nice to know what those values translate to.

My only other complaint (or suggestion for improvement) for the Spyder product is that for LED TVs like mine, that in addition to adjusting the standard settings of brightness, contrast, color, tint, etc., that it also accounts for the backlight setting. If I reset my TV to factory settings (under 'Standard' picture mode), it sets itself to 85 (of 100). For calibration, I set it at the mid-point value of 50, but I'm assuming that the backlight value would also effect ultimate black and white levels, so it would be nice to have some guidance on what the best setting is.

Maverickaim9's Avatar Maverickaim9
08:28 AM Liked: 15
post #6 of 7
12-19-2012 | Posts: 168
@antmanxp, you can also download HCFR software which is free here http://sourceforge.net/p/hcfr/wiki/Home/ and use it with your Spyder4TV HD meter. Also there's the AVSHD disk that you can burn yourself and its available here http://www.avsforum.com/t/948496/avs-hd-709-blu-ray-mp4-calibration for free. Lastly, go to this link and follow instructions http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10457 This will help tremendously and help you get better results then using Spyder software. By the way, you're welcome.
GeorgeAB's Avatar GeorgeAB
11:12 AM Liked: 110
post #7 of 7
12-19-2012 | Posts: 3,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes View Post

..... Make sure the room lighting is as it will be when most of the viewing is done. Hope that helps a little
Adjusting viewing environment conditions is also part of a system calibration process. There are many factors in a video reproduction system, in addition to the display device itself, that can affect picture quality and the viewing experience. Display calibration should always be understood to mean "display system" calibration. This article explains why: 'The Importance Of Viewing Environment Conditions In A Reference Display System.'

Just as room acoustics can substantially alter audio system performance, so room conditions can substantially alter the performance of a video system. Room lighting can interfere with the viewing experience and display appearance in ways a meter cannot quantify or display adjustments fully compensate for.

Best regards and beautiful pictures,
G. Alan Brown, President
CinemaQuest, Inc.
A Lion AV Consultants affiliate

"Advancing the art and science of electronic imaging"
Reply Display Calibration

Subscribe to this Thread