[SOLVED] SAMSUNG UE40C5000 completely corrupted picture via service menu - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 27 Old 05-08-2012, 09:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,
I have corrupted picture of my Samsumng UE40C5000QWXXH with firmware T-MSX6DEUC-2010.1.

I wanted to start hacking it for SamyGO, but when I left service menu after setting Hotel Mode, I was very surprised with corrupted picture:

The only thing I have changed by my mistake (and changed it back in next second before turning it off) was "Type" in "Option" menu. I have tryied to change it to all 40.... values but without success. I also tryed factory reset in SM but without any change

Than I was searching for few hours and find out how to reset EEPROM:
Code:
http://wiki.samygo.tv/index.php5/UnBricking_TV_by_EEPROM_Reset
I have disassembled my TV and I was discovering every bug to find out which is the EEPROM. Here are the photos of the mainboard and the bug EEPROM on SAMSUNG TV UE40C5000:
Full size photo:
Code:
http://i50.tinypic.com/16j6m1.jpg
http://i50.tinypic.com/1z1ycfn.jpg

Than using wiki Service menu:
Code:
http://wiki.samygo.tv/index.php5/Service_Menu
I found that my Panel Type should be 40D6AF0C because on the sticker on my panel is T400FAE2-HE:

And the Front Color is T-R-BLK. Am I right?

But the problem is that the picture hasn't changed. It is still corrupted. So I was googling some more and find out here:
Code:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=729746&page=4
that I should do calibration using the inverted chess pattern via HDMI input. You can ownload it here:
Code:
http://i48.tinypic.com/14106rb.jpg
So I made it successfully via HDMI of my Laptop but without any help in the corrupted picture.

Can someone help me what next should I try?

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 05-08-2012, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Wow. This is a good example of why messing around in the Service Menu is not a good thing. Your problem appears to not be a calibration issue but more of an inappropriate setting change that may have bricked your tv and can't be reversed.
post #3 of 27 Old 05-08-2012, 10:11 AM

So do you think I should tomorow call the service?

Don't you have any ideas how to repair it by myself?

Thanks.
post #4 of 27 Old 05-08-2012, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palito&Lildevil View Post

So do you think I should tomorow call the service?

Don't you have any ideas how to repair it by myself?

Thanks.

replacing the main board should fix it
post #5 of 27 Old 05-08-2012, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post

replacing the main board should fix it

Thanks. I know it should fix it I'll let the service to do this, I still have a guarantee.
post #6 of 27 Old 05-08-2012, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:

Thanks. I know it should fix it I'll let the service to do this, I still have a guarantee.

If I am not mistaken, once you enter the service menu, you guarantee is void. Good luck, hopefully they will fix it .. but I would not say a word about entering the service menu if they ask.
post #7 of 27 Old 05-08-2012, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes View Post

If I am not mistaken, once you enter the service menu, you guarantee is void. Good luck, hopefully they will fix it .. but I would not say a word about entering the service menu if they ask.

That's for sure, that I won't tell them anything about service menu I'll be playing dump and that I just returned from the vacation and the TV was corrupted
post #8 of 27 Old 05-08-2012, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Sounds like a case for felony fraud. You might want to think it through a little better.
post #9 of 27 Old 05-08-2012, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 328
Quote:

Doing something "wrong" while in the SM will likely not be covered. The act of entering the menu itself has no consequences. If it did, a professional calibrator enabling the Cal-Day & Night modes would then be liable to the customer for any future problems. Won't happen. It all boils down to what we already know: If you don't know exactly what you're doing in the SM, don't go there!

Buzz
THX Certified Video Calibrator

post #10 of 27 Old 05-08-2012, 02:53 PM

GeorgeAB:Why felony fraud? I didn't do anything wrong in the SM. Even when I reset CMOS the picture is corrupted. So there was some bug in the SM when I changed something.

And by the way isn't this discussion about a guarantee a little off-topic? I think we should talk about it in a different topic Correct me if I'm wrong
post #11 of 27 Old 05-08-2012, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 228
I think what George means is that the entering the Service Menu for any reason to tweak or adjust nullifies your warranty because it is not meant for the consumer to get into it let alone play in an area that you know nothing about. If you do that, and brick your tv, then telling Customer Support that you "found" your tv like that is fraud, plain and simple.

Did your tv look like that when you first brought it home or did the picture look like that after you entered the SM? Sometimes when you change a setting in the SM and realize it was a mistake, there is no un-doing it no matter what you do.
post #12 of 27 Old 05-08-2012, 03:12 PM

Otto Pylot: Thank you for explanation. But still this doesn't help me in any way Thanks again.
post #13 of 27 Old 05-08-2012, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

GeorgeAB:Why felony fraud? I didn't do anything wrong in the SM. Even when I reset CMOS the picture is corrupted. So there was some bug in the SM when I changed something.

And by the way isn't this discussion about a guarantee a little off-topic? I think we should talk about it in a different topic Correct me if I'm wrong

It sounds to me like you intend to submit the TV for warranty repair, but have been discussing publicly how to deceptively cover up the fact that you entered the service menu, plus have disassembled the TV, with the likely result that something you have done may have caused the failure.
post #14 of 27 Old 05-08-2012, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I didn't do anything wrong in the SM. Even when I reset CMOS the picture is corrupted. So there was some bug in the SM when I changed something.

Obviously, you did something in the SM that resulted in the issue. It's not clear exactly what since you attempted to undo any changes and that didn't help. However, if you hadn't messed around in the SM at all, your TV would likely be working fine today. You may have to pay for the repair (parts and labor) unless Samsung cuts you a break.
post #15 of 27 Old 05-08-2012, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post

Doing something "wrong" while in the SM will likely not be covered. The act of entering the menu itself has no consequences. If it did, a professional calibrator enabling the Cal-Day & Night modes would then be liable to the customer for any future problems. Won't happen. It all boils down to what we already know: If you don't know exactly what you're doing in the SM, don't go there!

In theory, you are correct. However, if you have a legitimate problem with your TV (not related to SM setting changes) and you mention the SM was accessed during calibration, they might still void your warranty claiming you did something in there that caused the problem. In such a case, it would be best not to mention SM access/usage to avoid having Samsung void the warranty.
post #16 of 27 Old 05-08-2012, 03:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Guys, I don't think a discussion of morals is appropriate for AVS.

Jason
post #17 of 27 Old 05-08-2012, 03:42 PM

Quote:

That's for sure, that I won't tell them anything about service menu I'll be playing dump and that I just returned from the vacation and the TV was corrupted

You've basically taken this display apart. Does that not void the warranty? You're going too have some explaining to do either way you look at it. You are better off just being honest.
post #18 of 27 Old 05-08-2012, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp View Post

Jason

Morality isn't being discussed. Behavior that may result in legal action is. Criminality is determined by law and statute, not moral opinion. TV manufacturers do monitor this forum.
post #19 of 27 Old 05-08-2012, 03:57 PM

Quote:

Jason

Thanks I just stopped to answer on these unhelpfull replyes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfbrown94 View Post

You've basically taken this display apart. Does that not void the warranty? You're going too have some explaining to do either way you look at it. You are better off just being honest.

There haven't been any blends to cut. I just get down few [many] screws and put the cover down. I can get it the same way back

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeAB View Post

Morality isn't being discussed. Behavior that may result in legal action is. Criminality is determined by law and statute, not moral opinion. TV manufacturers do monitor this forum.

If I would break something in the hardware I would pay it. But if they make some software part without any bigger restrictions (what combination of four buttons on the RC is not) and without any warnings when I enter it, that's their problem. When I make some webapp than I care about all possible changes and if they are possible to recover. This is their bug in all the possible ways.
post #20 of 27 Old 05-08-2012, 04:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeAB View Post

George,

I am not disagreeing with you here but either way you look at it this is not the proper forum to discuss it. I have actually been cited here at AVS for doing exactly what you are doing. We are not here to pass judgment on someone's behavior or issue legal advice.

Jason
post #21 of 27 Old 05-08-2012, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Try posting at samygo, someone there may know which SM value is wrong. Replacing your own main board is fairly easy.
post #22 of 27 Old 05-08-2012, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

George,

I am not disagreeing with you here but either way you look at it this is not the proper forum to discuss it. I have actually been cited here at AVS for doing exactly what you are doing. We are not here to pass judgment on someone's behavior or issue legal advice.

Jason

I disagree with your appraisal. It sounds like you are including me in your "we" group. I am here to learn, and contribute information that I believe will help others. If you can cite something specific from the forum rules that applies to anything I've said or done, please do.

It looked to me like the thread starter was possibly going to get himself into legal hot water due to his public statements in this thread. I warned him to think it through better.

Perhaps there needs to be a warning in the forum rules about such behavior. Members open themselves to potential consequences when they conspire together publicly to deceive service centers about the cause of warranty repair claims. Manufacturers really do monitor these forums.
post #23 of 27 Old 05-08-2012, 06:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Just a little level check here.. The manufacture will know exactly what went wrong. It really doesn't matter what the customer says or doesn't say, they won't fix it if they don't think it is a manufactures defect and they know the difference.
Think about it, how many failed TVs have there been over the years that crap out in 15 months and the manufactures tell you to pound sand.. The guy bricked the TV, he will turn it in and they will reject it.. or fix it.. lets just move on if no one has any idea on how the guy can fix is mistake.
post #24 of 27 Old 05-08-2012, 06:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just a little level check here.. The manufacture will know exactly what went wrong. It really doesn't matter what the customer says or doesn't say, they won't fix it if they don't think it is a manufactures defect and they know the difference.
Think about it, how many failed TVs have there been over the years that crap out in 15 months and the manufactures tell you to pound sand.. The guy bricked the TV, he will turn it in and they will reject it.. or fix it.. lets just move on if no one has any idea on how the guy can fix is mistake.

That sounds more likely of an outcome. This is all speculation anyway, until he would actually try to get the thing fixed.
post #25 of 27 Old 05-09-2012, 12:11 PM

So my problem is solved. On SamyGO.tv forum here:
http://forum.samygo.tv/viewtopic.php?p=30934#p30934
I get this reply:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tempinbox View Post

You can fix this by accessing in to the service menu you don't need to reset eeprom.
Go to Control
Then to suboption
Then change the value of "LVDS FORMAT" to VESA or PDP

Than I have made a new calibration using this great pattern http://wiki.samygo.tv/index.php5/Calibration for all the inputs and recovered all settings via hotel menu and channel backup from usb. Now my TV is completely working

Thank you all for your replyes. Moderator can lock this thread because it is solved.
post #26 of 27 Old 05-09-2012, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So my problem is solved. On SamyGO.tv forum here:
http://forum.samygo.tv/viewtopic.php?p=30934#p30934
I get this reply:

Than I have made a new calibration using this great pattern http://wiki.samygo.tv/index.php5/Calibration for all the inputs and recovered all settings via hotel menu and channel backup from usb. Now my TV is completely working

Thank you all for your replyes. Moderator can lock this thread because it is solved.

good to hear it worked out for you... but don't mess around in the SM in the future unless you know EXACTLY what you're doing; that's how many sets get bricked
post #27 of 27 Old 05-10-2012, 06:54 AM

Liked: 23
Quote:

Probably the most reasonable comment here so far on this adventure!

Have been monitoring this scene to see how it turned out for the OP. It seems he lucked out and he was able to remedy it himself. Unfortunate not many could offer or contribute some real help. On the other hand, maybe he has learned that messing with the SM is not a good idea. With so many user options available in many TVs today it should not be necessary to do so.

But at least all is well that ends well in this case.
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page