Calibrating Multiple Sources that go Through One Input - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 05-09-2012, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm using a receiver, which outputs one HDMI to the tv. Should a calibration work well for all of my sources (Off air through hdmi, DirecTV, Xbox, Bluray), or how do you do different calibrations for different sources if they run through a receiver?

Also, without spending time doing too much research, what's a cost-efficient bluray I can buy with calibrating instructions that will do a good job for a new Samsung LED?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-09-2012, 09:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Does your receiver allow different settings per input? (Brightness, contrast, etc)?
post #3 of 5 Old 05-09-2012, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfluous View Post

I'm using a receiver, which outputs one HDMI to the tv. Should a calibration work well for all of my sources (Off air through hdmi, DirecTV, Xbox, Bluray), or how do you do different calibrations for different sources if they run through a receiver?

Also, without spending time doing too much research, what's a cost-efficient bluray I can buy with calibrating instructions that will do a good job for a new Samsung LED?

you should be okay for hdmi sources

some BD players may alter the signal sent to the TV in which case additional adjustments in the BD player's settings might need to be made to compensate OR you can just get a BD player that has reference-quality output

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 Old 05-10-2012, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Games aren't made to any specific standard, so calibrating for an Xbox isn't particularly helpful. There's nothing particularly bad about the output of the Xbox (via HDMI) that requires a special calibration. Even though games vary, colorwise, the variations aren't so obvious that 1 game looks wildly different than the next. But there is no "industry standard" for games. THX certified games are calibrated to a standard and may (emphasis on MAY) look a little more accurate than some non-certified games.

For Blu-ray -- many players are pretty good. Some are quite excellent. PS3, Oppo, and select Panasonic models are most often recognized as being either highly or perfectly accurate, there may be others and there's at least 1 AVS thread where the accuracy of Blu-ray players is discussed and measured.

Cable and satellite are different for every channel. There's no way to calibrate for that... it's a fool's mission. And within any 1 channel, program to program variations can be as large as channel-to-channel variations. So you just live with what you've got. Things are better in the HDMI world than they used to be in the analog video world where the variations could be pretty large from box to box. HDMI eliminates a lot of that past variability.

"Movies is magic..." Van Dyke Parks
THX Certified Professional Video Calibration
ISF -- HAA --
Widescreen Review -- Home Theater & Sound
post #5 of 5 Old 05-22-2012, 01:30 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If you are going through an HDMI switch of some kind your TV really isnt going to know how to change the video adjustments because at least with my TV, its stuck on the input. Most times you cant adjust it much from the source so youll either have to change it all the time, or pick one that looks fine on all.
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page