Need help with 55 inch LED Toshiba display - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 05-09-2012, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all!

I recently purchased a brand new 55 inch led Toshiba TV. Although, I've been very disappointed with the display on cable TV, DVD, and blu-ray.

I understand without HD cable channels, i find the TV almost impossible to watch for just normal cable TV.

Today i tried playing my first ever Blu-Ray movie disc, and I found the movement in the movie almost described as "Fake" with weird movement. The picture for DVD and Blu-ray is also very "Grainy". I guess this is just a change from watching reer projector tv for 18 years? (You think after spending $2000 on a set up it would be the best wih no issues)

I am playing my blu-ray through my ps3, and Yes i do have a HDMI cord, playing games on my ps3 is Crystal clear, and absolutely amazing. But when it comes to DVD, Blu-ray, and cable tv it's almost very hard to watch.

Now my question is, what kind of settings do you recommend my TV to be on?

I believe the following has to be changed.

Contrast, Backlight, Dynalight, Brightness, Color, Tint, Sharpness, and now going in to Advanced picutre settings, Dynamic Contrast, Static Gamma, Color temperature, Clear frame and finally firm stabilization.

Thank you very much and ALL feedback is appreciated!

Another question, When wtching netflix it's the same quality as cable TV so i assume netflix is coming from my cable and it's terrible quaility.

It blows my mind how these HD TV's could have these issues....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-09-2012, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone?
post #3 of 6 Old 05-09-2012, 06:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Go here http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=166 and search for your model (over on the right side of the screen use "search this forum" and enter your model number). You'll probably have better luck in that area on a specific model from other owners of the same display.

Best of Luck,
Jason
post #4 of 6 Old 05-09-2012, 09:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 32
You can drop me a PM with the model number and I'll give you some advice. I just finished a review of the 50L5200U so I've been using the menu system a lot the past couple weeks on a Toshiba.

Chris Heinonen
Senior Editor, Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity, www.hometheaterhifi.com
Displays Editor, AnandTech.com
Contributor, HDGuru.com and Wirecutter.com
ISF Level II Certified Calibrator, ReferenceHomeTheater.com
post #5 of 6 Old 05-10-2012, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Did the calibration controls on the new Toshiba work right or, like past models, did images fall apart (bad contouring, huge block artifacts, massive posterization) when you used more than about 10% of the adjustment range of any of the CMS controls? (I forget if the grayscale controls did the same thing with larger adjustments or not)

"Movies is magic..." Van Dyke Parks
THX Certified Professional Video Calibration
ISF -- HAA -- www.dBtheatrical.com
Widescreen Review -- Home Theater & Sound
post #6 of 6 Old 05-10-2012, 10:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Blackburn View Post

Did the calibration controls on the new Toshiba work right or, like past models, did images fall apart (bad contouring, huge block artifacts, massive posterization) when you used more than about 10% of the adjustment range of any of the CMS controls? (I forget if the grayscale controls did the same thing with larger adjustments or not)

The model I got has very little for controls (with only gain controls for two colors for white balance), so there was very little room to really screw it up. Once you picked the correct gamma setting on the slider (-2 in my case), the white balance fell into line pretty well, but if that gamma slider was off, then it was really pretty bad. No color controls for the user aside from color and tint, though.

Chris Heinonen
Senior Editor, Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity, www.hometheaterhifi.com
Displays Editor, AnandTech.com
Contributor, HDGuru.com and Wirecutter.com
ISF Level II Certified Calibrator, ReferenceHomeTheater.com
Reply Display Calibration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page