My experience with Robert Busch ISF - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 05-14-2012, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
This is a review of Robert Busch Home theater (ISF memeber) northern Ca.
I can't believe that this (Imaging Science Foundation ISF for short) member has only one review. After I purchased the last of the best television sets considered to be the best ever made the Pioneer Elite Kuros of 2009, still considered to be the true elite of sets, I knew that I would never get all of the performance out of the set unless I hired one of the true artist of the Imaging science Foundation to calibrate it by going into the deepest inner menus only available to pro technicians. So , after reading various reviews I decided to try Robert Busch Home theater calibrations. Here is the review I wrote 3 weeks later and in retrospect seems totally inadequate.
"I purchased my new Pioneer Pro-151 and thought the picture was very good out of the box but decided to have it calibrated by someone well respected in Northern California, so I called Robert Busch and arranged to have him come over today. After we had properly darkened my viewing environment Bob went though a series of calibrations that were designed to make the Pioneer as accurate as possible. I will suffice it to say colors are vibrant and blacks are even better than they were before. I now get inky blacks which are amazing and compelling to say the least. Blacks by themselves wouldn't be worth much if there wasn't the requisite shadow detail to match. I can certainly judge source quality much better now because this television is now so revealing.
It is really easy now to see how good the original source is. Hooked up to my Plasma I have two blu-Ray players, Directv Satellite, and OTA (over the air) Tivo which is the best of all sources direct from the Sutro Tower transmitter. I know I'm repeating myself but the thing that keeps catching my eye is the black level. It is actually thrilling, at least to me , to see blacks that are profoundly black and not just dark grey. The contrast and lush renderings of my picture never cease to amaze all that come to visit, let's just say seeing is believing.
My picture is still stunning, even seeming to improve as the set broke in. He had some very high quality equipment, most of which I had never seen and was taking measurements from the Plasma display in an almost ghostly fashion, meaning I had no idea what was being measured. He calibrated all my inputs and left me with a pretty permanent calibration that has to be seen to be believed.
It is not inexpensive to calibrate a television but it takes 3-4 hours to complete which in the end is a real bargain.
Some would say having a top set or projection system calibrated but it was the wisest investment I've ever made

when you always do what you've alway done, you always get what you always got.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-14-2012, 06:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 412
I have a customer who used to live in Robert Busch's neck of the woods and had a calibration done by him on a Mits CRT RPTV, and he had very good things to say about Robert also.

ISF/THX calibrator, HDTVbyChadB
Jeti 1211

Latest reviews:
Sony 65X950BLG 65UB9800Samsung UN65HU8550UN65HU9000, UN85HU8550, LG 55EC9300
post #3 of 4 Old 05-17-2012, 05:47 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithhr View Post

This is a review of Robert Busch Home theater (ISF memeber) northern Ca.
I can't believe that this (Imaging Science Foundation ISF for short) member has only one review. After I purchased the last of the best television sets considered to be the best ever made the Pioneer Elite Kuros of 2009, still considered to be the true elite of sets, I knew that I would never get all of the performance out of the set unless I hired one of the true artist of the Imaging science Foundation to calibrate it by going into the deepest inner menus only available to pro technicians. So , after reading various reviews I decided to try Robert Busch Home theater calibrations. Here is the review I wrote 3 weeks later and in retrospect seems totally inadequate.
"I purchased my new Pioneer Pro-151 and thought the picture was very good out of the box but decided to have it calibrated by someone well respected in Northern California, so I called Robert Busch and arranged to have him come over today. After we had properly darkened my viewing environment Bob went though a series of calibrations that were designed to make the Pioneer as accurate as possible. I will suffice it to say colors are vibrant and blacks are even better than they were before. I now get inky blacks which are amazing and compelling to say the least. Blacks by themselves wouldn't be worth much if there wasn't the requisite shadow detail to match. I can certainly judge source quality much better now because this television is now so revealing.
It is really easy now to see how good the original source is. Hooked up to my Plasma I have two blu-Ray players, Directv Satellite, and OTA (over the air) Tivo which is the best of all sources direct from the Sutro Tower transmitter. I know I'm repeating myself but the thing that keeps catching my eye is the black level. It is actually thrilling, at least to me , to see blacks that are profoundly black and not just dark grey. The contrast and lush renderings of my picture never cease to amaze all that come to visit, let's just say seeing is believing.
My picture is still stunning, even seeming to improve as the set broke in. He had some very high quality equipment, most of which I had never seen and was taking measurements from the Plasma display in an almost ghostly fashion, meaning I had no idea what was being measured. He calibrated all my inputs and left me with a pretty permanent calibration that has to be seen to be believed.
It is not inexpensive to calibrate a television but it takes 3-4 hours to complete which in the end is a real bargain.
Some would say having a top set or projection system calibrated but it was the wisest investment I've ever made

I would expect no less from Robert. He is one of the best and has been at it as long as I have. He also has invested in State-of-the-art calibration equipment, which is something not too many calibrators can boast about.

Kevin Miller
ISF Technician
Co-Instructor ISF Level I & II Seminars
Display Product Development Consultant
kevin@isftv.com
Co-founder tweaktv.com
post #4 of 4 Old 05-25-2012, 11:26 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just wanted to take a few minutes and write about my ISF calibration with Robert Busch. I have a 8G Pioneer elite TV that was calibrated by Best Buy/Magnolia twice in the past. After having Robert come in and calibrate my TV I wish I would have had him do it from the beginning as this is the best my TV has ever looked. Robert did a great job explaining to me what he was doing and why he was doing it. As I found out quite quickly from Robert, Best Buy/Magnolia had improperly calibrated both the black levels and color settings on my set, which caused major problems with picture quality. Robert was able to get my display as close to ISF specifications as possible and now the display just looks stunning. Robert even went through all of my devices and made sure they were set up to properly output the best picture for my set. I can't recommend Robert's services enough. If you live in the Bay Area are going to get your display ISF calibrated, I suggest you give Robert a call, he truly does excellent work.
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page