Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 05-17-2012, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Hi all,

I had PRK (with Wavefront Laser Correction) surgery done on May 2nd. Yesterday I was seeing well enough for just long enough to run some TV test patterns I'm familiar with.

I clearly have a wider contrast visibility/sensitivity than I did before the surgery. Color charts came out exactly the same, but Brightness/Contrast patterns now have different settings! I didn't expect this.

I own a LG THX 55LH90 TV.

According to the previous settings:

The way I saw the brightness pattern before - setting 57.
The way I see it now - setting 52 (and with the TV's built-in pattern, 47! I can detect deeper shades of black now. I was told my night vision would likely be worse, but no, my vision in a dark room viewing black shades seems superior compared to before.)

The way I saw the contrast pattern before - setting 97
The way I see the contrast pattern now - setting 99 (however from the built-in TV test pattern was setting 87 before and now is 93 to see the same result, so I am able to detect finer differences in contrast at the top end now. Before the 99 setting was crushing white against the whiter than white stripe, now at the old 97 setting, I see the bar is no longer just as white, it's dimmer and the TV needs a 99 setting to match it up.)

I don't believe my TV has changed that much in a mere 65 days since I set it last (especially since it has not changed since day 1 on any of these patterns).

Has anyone else had laser eye correction and experienced this?

For right now I'm not recommending Laser surgery to anyone as my eyes have been very dry since the surgery and it's kinda scary that my vision keeps fluctuating blurry/clear due to the dryness. I keep getting told that my eye dryness will likely pass and things will improve but it does freak me out that my tear glands aren't producing enough tears right now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-17-2012, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 328
Wow! You're a lucky guy, Timothy.

Buzz
THX Certified Video Calibrator

post #3 of 5 Old 05-17-2012, 09:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post

Wow! You're a lucky guy, Timothy.

I'm not that lucky right now with dry eye from the surgery. So, hopefully that clears up. I was wondering if anyone else had this happen. A change in vision/perception of test patterns on your TV after lasik surgery? I frankly didn't think it would be possible at all. I thought everyone saw the patterns the same way. The fact that I see differently enough to change settings on my TV casts some doubt heavily on whether human eyes can properly adjust TV's by some of these patterns.
post #4 of 5 Old 05-18-2012, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy91 View Post

I'm not that lucky right now with dry eye from the surgery. So, hopefully that clears up. I was wondering if anyone else had this happen. A change in vision/perception of test patterns on your TV after lasik surgery? I frankly didn't think it would be possible at all. I thought everyone saw the patterns the same way. The fact that I see differently enough to change settings on my TV casts some doubt heavily on whether human eyes can properly adjust TV's by some of these patterns.

did you calibrate those picture settings from the same viewing position and with the same ambient lighting conditions? room lighting and how far you stand from the screen can be relevant factors to consider
post #5 of 5 Old 05-18-2012, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post

did you calibrate those picture settings from the same viewing position and with the same ambient lighting conditions? room lighting and how far you stand from the screen can be relevant factors to consider

Similar ambient lighting during day (shades closed) yielded the same results I got at night. I can give it another go tonight but I'm pretty certain the results will be the same. I'm interested in finding some other people who have had a shift in their settings after laser surgery. This intrigues the crap out of me and may shed light on how different people view television settings differently. I figure this kind of information can benefit you calibration experts. Perhaps if data could be collected about the differences, something could be figured out where a calibration can be tailored to specific people. It is something I've read you calibrators are forced to do anyway but having more information about the differences in perception might usher in some new calibration concepts.
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page